26" Kettle and Charcoal temps....

NDekens

TVWBB Member
Hello, Just wondering if anyone has had the same experiences as myself. After moving up from the 22" to a 26" kettle I have noticed that it is a bit more difficult to attain the temps that I would usually get when using the 22" kettle.

Specifically I have notice that when using kingsford blue and even premium lump like jealous devil I have a hard time hitting the 400+ range. On the other hand when I use Royal Oak lump I can hit temps with ease much like I did with the 22" however I notice on long cooks I have to add more charcoal more often.

I live in the CA valley so its not like Im in a cold climate or anything. Anyone else have these experiences?

Thanks!

If you’re going by the lid thermometer, I’d guess that’s the source of the problem.
No, im jot using the lid thermometer. Been using a grate temp probe and i also installed a tel-tru down closer to the grate on the indirect side.....also I use a SNS-XL all the time.

If you aren't getting the temps you want use more fuel. You say you always use the SNS, I'm not sure that you are going to be able to get really high temps by putting your charcoal in the SNS. If I wanted to get my 26er smoking hot I would dump 2 full chimneys on the charcoal grate and cook. It is quite a bit larger than the 22 and needs more fuel to get it hot.

Using a slow and sear type device about 400 is the best I can do too. However I can push close to 600 with a full chimney of lit on the charcoal grate. Pat G is correct if you want heat you need fuel and a little more with the size of the 26. You could also try cracking the lid off to one side too if you really want to get the temps up.

Using a slow and sear type device about 400 is the best I can do too. However I can push close to 600 with a full chimney of lit on the charcoal grate. Pat G is correct if you want heat you need fuel and a little more with the size of the 26. You could also try cracking the lid off to one side too if you really want to get the temps up.

Your experience is similar! But since I never really take the SNS out Im just sticking with the royal oak lump from wally world. I can get 450 max with it in the SNS and thats good enough. Just have to go through more lump with it but the price offset from using the $$ stuff justifies it.

Thanks for the replys!

Your experience is similar! But since I never really take the SNS out Im just sticking with the royal oak lump from wally world. I can get 450 max with it in the SNS and thats good enough. Just have to go through more lump with it but the price offset from using the $$ stuff justifies it.

Thanks for the replys!
I rarely take mine out either. I am also cheap so I prefer not to load the 26 up to much and settle on ~400.

Just realized you are in Sactown. I am just north east of you near grass valley. Welcome to the site!

I rarely take mine out either. I am also cheap so I prefer not to load the 26 up to much and settle on ~400.

Just realized you are in Sactown. I am just north east of you near grass valley. Welcome to the site!
Yeah, im a little closer to you than that im actually in Yuba City...dunno why it says sac.

LOL. Well I am actually in Browns Valley so I am half way between Yuba City and Grass Valley. Guess that makes us neighbors.

Back