24th Annual Weber GrillWatch Survey -- Trend Towards Healthier Grilling

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Received this from Weber today.

--

Annual Weber GrillWatch™ Survey Shows Grillers Opting for More Vegetables, Healthier Choices
Grillers Also Hosting More Parties for Friends and Family

Palatine, Ill., February 20—According to the 24th annual Weber GrillWatch™ Survey, 61 percent of grillers report they have changed their grilling style in the past year. The number one change is grilling more vegetables (30 percent), followed by 25 percent who report they are grilling more to be healthier, and 23 percent opting for leaner meats and poultry when grilling. In addition, nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of grillers agree that grilling is a way to eat healthier (tied with a way to relax), however 82 percent of respondents say that grilling is a way to have fun—and grillers know how to have a good time.

In fact, grill owners overall are big entertainers, with 84 percent saying they entertain family and friends in their home. On average, grillers host 8.1 parties throughout the year (an increase from 7.2 last year). Nineteen percent host parties at their home 10 to 19 times per year and 12 percent host an impressive 20 or more parties per year. In addition, things heat up in the summer, with 25 percent of grillers hosting five or more barbecues.

A majority 75 percent of grill owners report that grilling is an important activity when entertaining guests in their home. When it comes down to the three foods grilled most often, hamburgers continue to come in as the number one answer (70 percent), followed by steak (43 percent), hot dogs (42 percent), and chicken (40 percent).

Weber-Stephen Products LLC, the world’s leading manufacturer of outdoor gas, charcoal and electric grills, commissioned Toluna (formerly Greenfield Online), a leading online survey panel provider, to field the 24th annual Weber GrillWatch Survey. A total of 1,000 grill owners throughout the United States completed the online survey. All respondents were 21 years of age or older and owned a charcoal, gas or electric outdoor grill or smoker. The sample was divided between 50 percent males and 50 percent females and was balanced demographically to represent households across the U.S.

Other Newsworthy Facts from the Weber GrillWatch Survey

• Sixty-two percent of Americans own an outdoor barbecue grill. The majority of grill owners own a gas model (63 percent); 51 percent own a charcoal grill.
  • Nearly one-half of grill owners (48 percent) fire up their grill year-round. Thirty-three percent use their grill when it’s below freezing.
  • About one-quarter (24 percent) of grill owners agree that it would come in handy at times to be able to remove their grill’s side tables.
  • The number one accessory owned by grillers is tongs (80 percent), 40 percent of grill owners own a thermometer, 41 percent own grilling mitts or gloves, 18 percent own a cast iron griddle, and 12 percent own a rib rack.
  • The Fourth of July is the most popular holiday of the year for grilling, with 86 percent of grill owners firing up the grill; followed by Labor Day (75 percent); birthdays (72 percent); Memorial Day (68 percent); and Father’s Day (49 percent).
  • Camping remains the most popular place to grill away from home (44 percent); followed by parks (37 percent); the beach (23 percent); and tailgate parties (22 percent).

interesting but not surprising...

I agree. My son is getting married next year and he actually asked me if I could grill some vegetarian fare for the wedding reception. I just reminded him that the bride's family will take care of all that. And just this afternoon, I got a message from a friend that wants me to cook for her daughter's graduation party. She wants pulled pork, but chicken salad and pasta salad, as well. Guess I might as well grill some veggies, too?

Chris this brings forward something I've had on my mind for sometime. Should this forum consider a separate posting category for a leaner, lower fat style of cooking? Gone are the days for me when I could eat a Porterhouse that was bigger than the platter it sat on.
I love pork butt but I can't often eat much of it. Same as burnt ends. The high fat cooks with all the bacon, cheese etc. for some of us are out of the question. It's a simple fact of aging and health. It would be great to have the ability to post various cooks in a category like that and exchange ideas and recipes as we do now. Just a thought.

Gary S's idea might be interesting to follow up on. I also find myself grilling lots of things I never considered doing years ago. Kamado cookers seem to be getting a lot of attention right now in the market place, but IMO nothing beats a kettle grill for its ability to turn out a complete meal on the same grill. It is not unusual for me to grill meat, potatoes, and a vegetables on a single grill. I'm not talking about just warming up beans or something.

I like your idea Gary. Not that I am the most healthy conscious eater or anything, but if there was a category like that I certainly would look at it and use it for healthy ideas.

I could probably stand to grill healthier. I look forward to the posts in the new sub-forum and hope to make contributions there.

48% grill when its below freezing, but what percent grill when its below zero?:)

About 30 years ago I grilled steaks on the kettle on a -28F Christmas Eve. They were good, but I don't go outside
when its that cold anymore. So I had a grate made for the fireplace, nice and warm, but too low to the ground.

Back