22 WSM Silicone Grommet Mod

Chad-Burnt to a T

TVWBB Super Fan
Again very simple and inexpensive mod. I cut the notch and tossed the silicon plug.

Replaced with Metal Hole Plug

I got a 1-1/4" Metal Hole Plug
Handi Pack Part # 84487

Optional High Heat tape to seal inside High Heat Primer and Semi Gloss Paint and covered with Clear. Not sure what the Heat will do to the Clear. If it doesn't work I'll just buy some High Heat Gloss. I already had everything on hand so won't be out much. The other option is just not paint at all. waiting to see how much of a leak before I add tape inside.

20210730_172903.jpg
20210730_173017.jpg

Last edited:
I think after a few cooks it should gunk up and seal nicely.
This is for my son. I bought it used and cleaned and cleaned then I added all the mods. He's coming over today and has no idea it's going home with him. I still have a few parts to get but won't stop him from smoking. The gunk that was on it was more then I have ever seen. It's kinda of hard to get the effect but it was a good 1/8" or more in some places. The inside was probably at least 3/16" or more solid you can see by the lid.

image_67174657.JPG

20210731_112006.jpg

This is for my son. I bought it used and cleaned and cleaned then I added all the mods. He's coming over today and has no idea it's going home with him. I still have a few parts to get but won't stop him from smoking. The gunk that was on it was more then I have ever seen. It's kinda of hard to get the effect but it was a good 1/8" or more in some places. The inside was probably at least 3/16" or more solid you can see by the lid.

View attachment 33867

View attachment 33870
I'm finding that grills make excellent gifts.

View attachment 33867

View attachment 33870
Can you please provide more photos of the mods like that bottom vent with handle attached and that "strip of metal" located to the upper right side of the door. TIA 8))

Can you please provide more photos of the mods like that bottom vent with handle attached and that "strip of metal" located to the upper right side of the door. TIA 8))
The bottom vent/damper is actually closed off with three 3/4" metal hole plugs Handi Pack #84487.
20210813_175239.jpg

20210813_175226.jpg

It's actually not a handle but a BBQ Guru adapter for my temperature controller fan. I have the DigiQDX2 and Pit Viper fan.

20210813_174645.jpg
20210813_175126.jpg
20210813_175933.jpg
And the bottom picture shows with kill plug installed in the adapter.
20210813_175856.jpg

The metal strip at the top is made by Unknown BBQ. It's a hanger for the DigiQDX2 or other temp controller.
20210813_175329.jpg
They also sell the guru plate that fits on the back of the controller to hang on the hanger. This is the guru plate on back of my controller
20210813_180927.jpg

and this is the controller with the plate on the hanger. The hanger attaches with a single screw of the top hole of a grate bracket on the inside. The hanger opens and closes and has a small magnet to keep it closed when not in use.

20210813_181014.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Way more mods than I would do and I'm satisfied with how mine performs with just adjusting the vents manually. I make mostly bacon and jerky with the vents adjusted manually. 8))

The bottom vent/damper is actually closed off with three 3/4" metal hole plugs Handi Pack #84487.
View attachment 34771

View attachment 34769

It's actually not a handle but a BBQ Guru adapter for my temperature controller fan. I have the DigiQDX2 and Pit Viper fan.

View attachment 34767
View attachment 34790
View attachment 34774
And the bottom picture shows with kill plug installed in the adapter.
View attachment 34775

The metal strip at the top is made by Unknown BBQ. It's a hanger for the DigiQDX2 or other temp controller.
View attachment 34784
They also sell the guru plate that fits on the back of the controller to hang on the hanger. This is the guru plate on back of my controller
View attachment 34781

and this is the controller with the plate on the hanger. The hanger attaches with a single screw of the top hole of a grate bracket on the inside. The hanger opens and closes and has a small magnet to keep it closed when not in use.

View attachment 34791
I do the same thing, gotta love the BBQ Guru DigiQdx2, simple but highly effective!

I like all the mods you made chad I still want it to be able to use that bottom vent front then when possible so I I drilled a hole for my adapter because I run a pitmaster IQ

Back