22 inch performer kettle

PerryM

looking to buy a 22 inch kettle do they have a hole to put grate and meat temp probes thru them

Thanks Perry

Perry, welcome to the forum.
To answer your question, no.
I put a 1/4" felt gasket around the edge of the lid on my Performer. It not only seals better but cushions my thermometer probe wires as well. Makes the lid close like a Cadillac!

Tim had some nice grommets, I ordered some just haven’t had the balls to drill on my performer.

Last edited:
Perry, welcome to the forum.
To answer your question, no.
I put a 1/4" felt gasket around the edge of the lid on my Performer. It not only seals better but cushions my thermometer probe wires as well. Makes the lid close like a Cadillac!

Which edge? Vertically facing inward along the inside of the edge, or horizontal facing down?

I cut a notch in both my kettle and WSM. Does not seem to interfere function at all. Lots of youtube videos on how to. I don't have a pic handy but could take one for you.

I don't have the balls to drill mine either! Which would be belt felt to buy? Good excuse for a proper cleanup before install too.

All my kettles are at least ten years old, never cut a notch or drilled any of them. I guess I’m less driven by the minutiae of chasing that ten degree window of grate temp. Just a caveman.

I rarely run probes, but when I do, I run them under the lid. Just be gentle!

Last edited:
The thing with notches or gromets is you are locked in to that one location.
Weber kettles have multiple charcoal setups, either banked on one side, two sides, three sides or all sides.
Where would be a good stock location?
Probably just a little above the rim of the lid - right before it starts curving.

I mean the vent or under the lid is fine, just nice to have an option and likely use less cable vs running over the top into the vent. Also just thought of an idea John can claim credit for - seasonal and branded grommets; sports teams, Christmas, etc.

The thing with notches or gromets is you are locked in to that one location.
Weber kettles have multiple charcoal setups, either banked on one side, two sides, three sides or all sides.
Where would be a good stock location?
Hell.....I'd be happy if the lid thermometer was in a more useful spot like lower to the rim and under the vent.

I'm a "notcher" on all my kettles, (x3). It's just easier. I don't have to worry about pinching probe wires, or lifting the lid with a probe wire run through the lid vent. The "itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny" gap in the lid to body makes not one iota off difference in performance.

Last edited:

Back