2018 Turkey Rub

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
When I started to cooked Thanksgiving dinner my wife shared she hates the meal because it is so bland. So I started to try to find a way to add flavor and followed a recipe for a kicken cajun rub and it was really good. I lost that recipe and then the next 2 years trying other recipes and neither got close so I finally just started to try to create my own and keep track of everything I did and keep making changes until in 2018 we thought it was perfect and have keep with it since. This does add flavor to the Turkey, but what it really does is make the best drippings to make the best gravy!

So here is my 2018 Turkey Rub:
4 Tablespoons Crushed Garlic
4 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons Red Peepers Flakes
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1/2 Tablespoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

OVOO to rub the bird

Mix it all up, I always start at the end and work up, adding the garlic last as that turns in for a rub to almost a paste. I alway do a simple overnight wet salt brine on my birds and after a good dry, I cut the skin so I can get to the meat. Next I rub the bird with OVOO, not too much just enough to cover, you don't want tons of oil getting in your future gravy. Then add the rub and get it under the skin on the meat, all over the skin and in the inter cavity. Place stock or broth underneath to catch all that falls and drips off the bird. Once the bird is pulled, run the drippings through a fine mess screen, you want the flavor, but not all the chucks of rub. Skim the top oil off the dripping and add to a simple roux or how ever you like to thicken gravy and let it go. I also add a little half and half The gravy is rich and decadent with this heat that hits you in the back of the mouth. Oh and you can add more Cayenne and red pepper flakes if you like heat, this brings a little but not too much, or you can turn it down if you want also.
I also use this on whole chickens, I used halved this recipe for those littler guys. I think this is good for a 10 to 15 lb bird. I doubled it for this years 19 lb Turkey.

Michael, just wanted to say that I am a BIG, BIG fan of anyone that makes their own spice blend. Creating their own or following a recipe, just as long as it is not out of a bottle. So, thank you for posting your recipe!!!

Back