2014 Genesis E310

Charles-TX

Howdy -

First post, but a long time lurker. I have a Genesis E310 that I purchased in 2014 (no pictures right now since I've got the thing in the garage in pieces, thus making my wife very happy). The grill is one with N/S burners. I took it apart to try to address some of what I believe to be typical issues - rusting sides, frame legs, bottom shelf, etc. Though there is some rust, I think that I caught it in time so I don't have to do major surgery on it like fabricating new wood bottom/sides like some have done. Wire wheel, POR15, paint. For it's first 4 years, it was outside on a uncovered porch with a grill cover, but for the last 5 years, it has been on a covered porch out of the rain. That probably saved it from being a complete disaster.

Since I have the thing apart, I was considering painting the firebox and end caps. There is some flaking paint at the bottom of the fire box, but other than that, the factory coating looks pretty good. The sides of the firebox have turned black from grease/smoke I guess, and since the grill is gray, it doesn't look great.

If I am going to paint the firebox/end caps, do I need to take all of the factory coating off in order to get a good paint job that will last? Or can I remove the flaking paint, get any grease off, and paint over the factory paint? I know that the latter won't look as good, but I'm primarily concerned with making sure I do what I can to end up with something that won't have to be redone in a short period of time.

Also, the grill has a metal handle and the ends rest inside two cylindrical "transition pieces" that were at one time coated with something - was it chrome plating? Whatever it was, it all gone now. I guess I can just paint them with some high heat paint, unless others have a better idea.

Finally, what is the best way to clean the steel liner that is under the enameled grill top? For now, I have just scraped it off, but don't know if I need to do any more than that. I was amazed at the amount of stuff that I got off with just a paint scraper.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Also, the grill has a metal handle and the ends rest inside two cylindrical "transition pieces" that were at one time coated with something - was it chrome plating? Whatever it was, it all gone now. I guess I can just paint them with some high heat paint, unless others have a better idea.

I'm pretty sure the transition pieces/bezels are just cheaply plated with chrome. High heat paint is probably your best bet if you do not want to purchase a new handle set: https://www.weber.com/US/en/parts--...arts/gas-replacement-parts/handles/67718.html

Thanks. I'll go with paint. If I remember correctly, the finish peeled off after just a few years, so I'd rather not spend $50 just to have it happen again.

I was considering painting the firebox and end caps. There is some flaking paint at the bottom of the fire box, but other than that, the factory coating looks pretty good. The sides of the firebox have turned black from grease/smoke I guess, and since the grill is gray, it doesn't look great.

If I am going to paint the firebox/end caps, do I need to take all of the factory coating off in order to get a good paint job that will last? Or can I remove the flaking paint, get any grease off, and paint over the factory paint? I know that the latter won't look as good, but I'm primarily concerned with making sure I do what I can to end up with something that won't have to be redone in a short period of time.

With the end caps off, and the cookbox removed, give them a good scrubbing with Dawn Dishwasher soap or simple green and a green scotch bright scrubby to scuff it a little. Be careful with the green scrubby so use it like sandpaper as it will scuff.

After it dries scuff sand it with 200 grit sand paper and it is ready for high-heat ultra on the outside. I painted mine with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra in black.

The crew here has yet to find a really good matching gray. I'll post a link to a thread with some options in a bit.

High Heat will work for these also. I saw some done in black and they looked good.

Finally, what is the best way to clean the steel liner that is under the enameled grill top? For now, I have just scraped it off, but don't know if I need to do any more than that. I was amazed at the amount of stuff that I got off with just a paint scraper.

If you have the end caps off, pressure wash it and then use some oven cleaner, but scraping it is all I ever do.

Good luck. I'll post some links to some related threads that I have bookmarked.

Last edited:
black end caps and cookbox:

1689898274632.png

Gray Paint (Lack of) options are in the thread linked below

1689898421178.png

Thank you for all of the info and links. While I hadn't thought about it, I like the idea of a black firebox and end caps, if for no other reason than it is easy to find black high temp paint in any HD or Lowes. I think I'll skip the oven cleaner and pressure washing of the liner. Just scraping the thing made it 10X better than it was.

Charles,

Welcome to being active on TVWBB!

I can't really add anything to the spot on advice you have already gotten from several of our very experienced members. Everyone here would love to know Weber's source for their high heat gray. The funny thing is that now that Weber has gone back to basic black on their latest model, black now looks stylish again! Funny how our taste is manipulated by the latest trend:D.

So, for my 2 cents, I think high heat black is the way to go - either Rustoleum High Heat Ultra or Krylon's semi-glass high heat.

Krylon High Heat Max.jpg

I even recently did a restore on a Genesis 330 SE where I also repainted the cabinetry black as well. I don't think that is necessary for a great look; it was just something I wanted to try out.

Diagonal Front View NEW.jpeg

Regarding those stupid "chrome" plated plastic transition pieces on the handle, definitely lightly sand and paint them black. My favorite Weber gas grill, the 1st generation Summit, sported a very similar look:

Hood corner with Weber badge.jpeg

Keep us posted and add some pictures if you can.

Jon, on the E3xx, did you paint the gray cabinetry black as well? Inside and out?
Yes I did. I only had to do the two side frames since I used the stainless bottom and back pieces I still had. I also painted the chrome tr on the doors; I already had to repaint the doors anyway. I was trying hard to mimic the look of the new Genesis on an older 300 series body.

IMG_2314.jpeg

I think switching to black is a good thing in a lot of cases. I just worry that any nick or scratch is going to show up really easily with that light gray underneath. Of course, if you have to strip the paint, then a scratch would reveal bare steel anyway. I do think the black looks good on that grill. And I think that is probably why weber has gone back to black on the end caps and cabinets.

Yes I did. I only had to do the two side frames since I used the stainless bottom and back pieces I still had. I also painted the chrome tr on the doors; I already had to repaint the doors anyway. I was trying hard to mimic the look of the new Genesis on an older 300 series body.

View attachment 75123
How do you keep the insides of the doors looking so good? Mine are a rusty mess, particularly at the bottom. I didn't know if I'd make things worse if I starting sanding. I'm envious of the stainless steel bottom and back.

How do you keep the insides of the doors looking so good? Mine are a rusty mess, particularly at the bottom. I didn't know if I'd make things worse if I starting sanding. I'm envious of the stainless steel bottom and back.
The doors I used were the best I had in my collection. The little bit of rust on the bottom I believe was lightly sanded and primed with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Then painted silver. Between doing that and repainting the doors and priming and painting the chrome trim - several coats, waiting for adequate time to dry each time - those doors took a long time😟!

Over the years of owning this grill, I always noticed that I would find drippings on the bottom shelf underneath the grease tray. I'd just wipe it up every now and then, and never thought anything about it. Of course, the drippings weren't very good for the bottom shelf paint job, but I figured it was just part of the experience. I always wondered how they got there; it was like the drippings were eating through the disposable tray. I've even put 2 trays in an attempt to prevent the problem, but found drippings between the two trays as well as on the bottom shelf . As I've been working on prepping the the bottom shelf, I can see that the worst part, corrosion wise, is just below the drip tray (where all those drippings just sat between my somewhat infrequent cleanings).

After looking at Jon Tofte's picture above (and verifying by looking at the grill schematic), I realized that I was supposed to have a catch tray underneath the disposable trays. The grill came from Lowe's, free assembly, free delivery, etc. But I've never had a catch pan, so I guess the Lowe's assembly person forgot it, and I never missed what I never had.

Not too proud that it only took me 9 years to figure this out......

Over the years of owning this grill, I always noticed that I would find drippings on the bottom shelf underneath the grease tray. I'd just wipe it up every now and then, and never thought anything about it. Of course, the drippings weren't very good for the bottom shelf paint job, but I figured it was just part of the experience. I always wondered how they got there; it was like the drippings were eating through the disposable tray. I've even put 2 trays in an attempt to prevent the problem, but found drippings between the two trays as well as on the bottom shelf . As I've been working on prepping the the bottom shelf, I can see that the worst part, corrosion wise, is just below the drip tray (where all those drippings just sat between my somewhat infrequent cleanings).

After looking at Jon Tofte's picture above (and verifying by looking at the grill schematic), I realized that I was supposed to have a catch tray underneath the disposable trays. The grill came from Lowe's, free assembly, free delivery, etc. But I've never had a catch pan, so I guess the Lowe's assembly person forgot it, and I never missed what I never had.

Not too proud that it only took me 9 years to figure this out......
The metal trays are avail on amazon.

The metal trays are avail on amazon.
I must have at least 5 or 6 of those trays laying around, including 2 brand new aluminum ones that Weber started including with their replacement set some years ago. I never liked the way they look so I don't use them on the grill. The bracket that holds them on the grill always rots away but the tray itself lasts forever.

Back