2010 Genesis EP 310 proven quality.

Papa D Bryan

TVWBB Member
Looks like I made a grand decision to buy my Genesis 13 years ago. It’s a great piece of equipment and holding up well. It turned out only the crossover tube rusted through and the burner tubes just needed some love and attention. Flavorizer bars are rusty but not all the way through, so keeping them for now. I see some rust on the cabinets’ flooring which I think can be sanded down, primed and painted again. I would like to keep this grill going for another 10 years, you think it will last? I’m sure there is some other parts that will be needed in time, being realistic. AD5FB123-6FA3-4E8F-8BB8-ABE44ABD7535.jpeg

Attachments

• AE758E9A-B751-4784-8757-98123052BE44.jpeg
    AE758E9A-B751-4784-8757-98123052BE44.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 18
Yah, the only reason that grill would give up the ghost is due to the cabinet floor and sides rusting out. That can be repaired or even modified if necessary. Of course at some point you will need new flavorizer bars and burners, and maybe even cooking grates depending on what kind you have now. But, that should be a well functioning grill for a looong time if you are willing to put in a little work.

SS grates were the best upgrade as they are just greasy and blackened. If you are buying a new grill, I urge you to pay the price for SS grates. I put a new gas line about 2 years ago for safety sake’s only. It’s been cleaned really good only a few times but now with the burners out of the way, it really got a good scrubbing! The pizzo croaked out but not a big deal to light her up with my torch.

Grillparts.com seems like the best vendor as they notified me that the crossover tube has shipped, just 5 hours after placing the order. I hope to be back grilling very soon.

Papa D:

You chose right! I've got a 2007 in use weekly and our son has a 2008. Only thing ever replaced has been the push button ignitor button which I broke pushing too hard. I did upgrade some parts by adding the side burner for NG added a blue lid and got ss grates when the CI coated ones started rusting and flaking.

That is a great grill I owned a S310 but I always like this color. Keep it clean and I have told to put a hard surface tray under it so water does not collect to help keep the cabinet and for from rusting I do not if it works but the person who told me that had hisx10 years and no rust.

I've got a 2009 E320 NG that is used almost daily except in the winter. It's all original except for the igniter battery. Living in rust free Arizona it still looks like new. That and my 98 1000LX I bought new (now a 2000 LX) will be the two grills I will always keep.

DSCN6153.JPG

F3618A79-020E-4388-9DAE-5223D8665B9C.jpeg897AC2A5-3659-4168-862F-29D18E2719FE.jpegAll the great information about restoring these gems got me off my arse today and pulled the floor and back panels. Looks like I got to it in the nick of time as there was some really deep rust and scale coverage. With 36 grit flap sander on my grinder took em down to bare metal. Finished up by 60 grit overall sanding with the pneumatic jitterbug. Next is primer and purchase of the Massey Ferguson gray paint to match.

Crossover tube arrived today at warp speed from grillparts.com. I’m very impressed by the customer experience. I ordered the part Wednesday am.

“IBFI”. If Broke Fix It!

That’s the key to keeping these grills for the long haul. Looks like you caught it in time, and with your quality efforts you will be good for another long run.

I haven’t found Massey Ferguson gray at my Tractor Supply that supposedly carries it. The shelf is always empty.

Keep a close eye on the frame tubes where the casters press in as well. Others have posted horror photos of what happens when rust takes hold in them. Since they are integral parts of the side frames, it can be the kiss of death for the cabinet.

View attachment 64501View attachment 64502All the great information about restoring these gems got me off my arse today and pulled the floor and back panels. Looks like I got to it in the nick of time as there was some really deep rust and scale coverage. With 36 grit flap sander on my grinder took em down to bare metal. Finished up by 60 grit overall sanding with the pneumatic jitterbug. Next is primer and purchase of the Massey Ferguson gray paint to match.

Crossover tube arrived today at warp speed from grillparts.com. I’m very impressed by the customer experience. I ordered the part Wednesday am.

“IBFI”. If Broke Fix It! as i stated above you have it apart and though the rust is not bad you still have rust. And as also stated the plastic caps for the casters will suck up moisture and cause rust. So i would highly recommend you investing a POR 15 kit and treat those caster areas in your legs and paint the panels before you add the final coat.
This a great grill that you want to use and maybe pass down so do it right. check out this link for more info on POR 15.

A6F09BC7-A995-4CA1-883F-9A56F2B828BA.jpeg03D82FE8-E803-48B4-85D3-F1C7A3D41E8B.jpeg33C5F63F-596E-4075-AD72-18456E427A69.jpeg1A45E847-DA7A-4611-9FE5-4DC027414FDB.jpeg
Here’s the final result. My nearest HomeD doesn’t have the MF gray color so instead of making this a long drawn out operation, I picked a gray color that will be alright for me. Perhaps I can order a couple of cans on line for later. I am a little concerned about the mounting holes for the casters as there is some rust starting there. For now I just scraped it up and hit the exterior with some primer and paint. Another phase to finish in the near future.

Cross over tube installed without having to disassemble the manifold 👍.

I lit her up and her flames turned a nice pretty blue flame after warming up. So looking forward to the next episode of grilling in the new year.

Is there any one out there who makes scarecrows for spiders? Am I right? The whole pit is just a spider and mud dauber nest. Lol!

This a great grill that you want to use and maybe pass down so do it right. check out this link for more info on POR 15.

POR 15 is good stuff. I used their Factory Manifold Gray on a set of cast iron exhaust manifolds. Ten years and probably close to 100,000 miles later and they look the same as when I first painted them. Also used their Chassis Black to paint the chassis of a current project. It has proven hard to chip with a hammer. It's not cheap, but it's quality stuff!

Gerry

Back