2009 FDA Food Code

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
In a discussion on another thread I offered to send the pdf of the 2009 Food Code to another member. (I've had an advance copy for a bit.) Checking the FDA's site for professionals, I've found they have posted it, finally.

The Food Code is lengthy in its entirety. It is divided into several chapters and covers water, plumbing and waste to compliance issues, linens, equipment - the list goes on. Much is not germane to most of us.

The relevant chapter, imo, for most of us here that might be interested is the Food chapter. It is available as a pdf here. For those interested in the entire Code outline (with links to all the chapters, available as pdfs), here.

For those of you already catering (whether DL or legit) or those thinking about it, or those that would like to know the actual regs and guidelines rather than the consumer-oriented info that the USDA and FDA have on their main site (and the stuff endlessly repeated hither and yon), it's worth downloading.

What you will not find is single-number internal temps for safe finish internals; you will not find what we know as the Danger Zone referred to as 40-140?. What you will find is the time at temp figures I've referred to numerous times here over the years, and you'll see the low end of the DZ as 41?, the top end at 135?*.

You will also not find many specific procedures. Instead, you'll see either no reference at all or you will see a reference to FSIS or USDA codes or procedures.**

For those that wish to follow the consumer-oriented info - fine; nothing wrong with that at all. But many here have expressed an interest in better info, and info relevant to the regulations extant today. Here it is.

Note: The FDA's Food Code is developed and released on an erratic schedule, sometimes two years pass, sometimes three, four or five. The one prior was 2005, for example. States are not required to adopt the Food Code - they are free to or not, and are free to modify as they wish (within reason, there are some things that probably wouldn't fly). Many states do adopt the Code but, governments being governments, this can take some time, like several years after the Code is published. Then, within individual states, the Code can vary. Some states require all their counties to follow whatever regs the state has adopted and/or legislated. Other states allow individual counties to modify (within reason) the regs to better suit that county. The 2009 FDA Food Code should not be viewed as absolute - though if you have a business that requires Federal licensing, it likely is - but viewed as a reference only. You - if you have a licensed food service business - are responsible (by law) for knowing what code you are to follow, whether county, state or federal - or some combination of them. Unfortunately, that's how it works.

I hope those interested find this helpful.

Kevin

* I've made the statement on this board and elsewhere - too many times to count - that the top end of the Danger Zone is 130?. It is, though the Code says 135?. The top end of the Zone is determined by the highest temp food pathogens can outgrow, i.e., multiply. Only one, Clostridium perfringens, mostly associated with meat, outgrows at these higher temps (the others mostly fall into the 70-110 range, though there are variances, and Listeria can grow at fridge temps, though quite slowly). C. perf. stops growing at a bit over 127?F. Rounded up, we get 130?. FSIS was using 130? back in the 1970s and attempts were made to revise the status quo to this scientifically-based number, then and into the 1980s. In committee, many states opposed changing to 130? from 140?. A compromise of 135? was reached. So 135? is a political number, not a science-based one. For that, 130?. (It need not be repeated that for checking safe internals - especially of thin items - a tip-sensitive digital therm is the only way to go. Bimetal analog therms will not do. They only take an average temp and require 2-2.5-inches of probe to be inserted in the item.)

** If any come across procedural requirements that aren't clear (few are, they are imply referenced elsewhere) and would like explanation or explication just ask and I'll help.

[Note to John: In the other thread you expressed some frustration in trying to convert canner recipes you have to something safer, if necessary. You will not find those specifics in the Code - though I think you will find other useful information. Send me an e (address is in my profile) and I'd be happy to help you convert the recipes, and/or provide you documentation for same.]

Thanks,Kevin. As a former food service professional,I like to keep my guests safe and happy when they eat my food.
The couple places that I've eaten at and have made me either sick or just quesy,I will call them and inform them that they made me sick and let them know they lost a customer!

I haven't scanned the document yet. But I was curious if there's any mention of sous vide and low temp cooking. Seems like its been a hot topic in nyc and I was wondering if the federal level has gotten involved yet. I'm betting they work slower.

They do. But sous vide has been around NYC for a while - and a while back it was nipped in the bud because so many places had no HACCP or tracking documentation set up so no one could tell what they were doing or if they knew what they were doing. Protocols were established.

It's brief, but page 93 addresses sous vide, referring back to the time at temp chart and requiring HACCP and tracking docs.

I've been taking my boneless/skinless chicken breasts to 140+ and I'm happy with the results. Two questions:

Am I reading your post correct that 140 is safe (over 130 for at least a few minutes).

Where does 160 for chicken and hamburger come from???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I've been taking my boneless/skinless chicken breasts to 140+ and I'm happy with the results. Two questions:

Am I reading your post correct that 140 is safe (over 130 for at least a few minutes).

Where does 160 for chicken and hamburger come from??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the 130 140 135 is the safe to hold it after cooked temp and the 160 170 is the to be cooked to those temps to be safe to hold at the lower temps . But NOT being a expert I could be wrong !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I think the 130 140 135 is the safe to hold it after cooked temp and the 160 170 is the to be cooked to those temps to be safe to hold at the lower temps . But NOT being a expert I could be wrong ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite.

You are looking to kill 100% of the pathogens with a lethal dose of heat. At 160*, the amount of time to deliver a lethal dose is much shorter that at 140*, but you can kill all the pathogens at 140* if you hold it there for a longer stretch of time.

I mention low temp cooking because these techniques make it easier to hold meat at 140* for the required 35 min with no problem.

Here's Kevin's post regarding temps and times for turkey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Temp Reached/Minimum Time for Chicken/Min Time for Turkey

140/ 35 Min / 33.7 Min
145/ 13 Min / 13.8 Min
150/ 4.2 Min/ 4.9 Min
155/ 54.4 Secs/ 1.3 Min
160/ 16.9 Secs/ 26.9 Secs
165/ <10 Secs/ <10 Secs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may take chicken up to 150 just to be safe. I always let it rest for 5 minutes, so the 150/ 4.2 Min/ 4.9 Min seems reasonable. Plus, even a small chicken breast will increase in temp a little after you take it off the grill.

Right, Jeff. Once temps climb over 130 - internal temps, all parts of the meat one is cooking - one can expect die-off of pathogens. Kinetics are involved, i.e, there is a rate to the reaction, and that means there is time involved in the reaction (the pathogen kill) as they react to conditions (the rising temps). Die-off is slow at 130; as temps rise the pace picks up getting proportionally better then soon exponentially better. This still takes time -but at 155 its many seconds, 160 far fewer.

For safety at lower internals more time is needed; at 140, 35 min of constant 140 (or better) for chicken. Though it is possible for chicken to be safe at a shorter hold time, one really cannot be sure.

Monitor to be sure, Jerry. Chicken often does not rise much, if at all during resting. You can always kick it to 155 and hold a minute. That's reasonable and the chicken should be moist yet.

Might should start another thread, but another question.

Where do the pathogens come from (said another way, how are there pathogens on the inside of a piece of meat)? I understand how you increase your risk when you grind meat, but why would an in tact chicken breast or any solid piece of meat have pathogens in the middle?

Kevin - note: I will take to 155 as you suggest. I thought I was going a little too low on the temp, but I don't want a dry chicken breast (not too yummy).

We don't usually consider pathogens as able to migrate inside intact meat cuts. Intact meat cuts are large cuts, essentially roasts. Poultry, especially chicken and turkey, is a different matter. Because of the structure of the birds themselves and how they are slaughtered and processed, pathogens can be expected to be almost anywhere.

Various pathogens have different sources but most are ubiquitous in nature. Some might be in soil, others in the intestinal tracts of the animals in question; there are many locations and sources. Grinding meat can introduce any pathogens on the surface into the interior of the meat, as will injecting, Jaccarding, temp probe insertion, making cuts or slits in the meat, etc.

When cooking typically Q'd meats the interior (along with the rest of the meat, obviously) is cooked to well above pasteurization temps and the meat is safe throughout. If cooking meat to sub-pasteurization internal temps (any roasts cooked to lower internal temps) to be on the safe side, one can wait to insert a temp probe until after the roast has cooked for some time, and the meats surface is likely to be pasteurized.

Once food is pasteurized it is safe. However, food can be cross-contaminated after cooking if it touches or is touched by something that is contaminated (counters, cutting boards, pans, knives, hands). Staph. aureus is a particular concern. Environmentally ubiquitous (many people carry it naturally on their skin), handling of cooked food, especially when warm, then improperly cooling it, can lead to the conditions Staph needs to outgrow and produce toxins. (This is why I am forever telling people to cool quickly - and not to pack food (like pulled pork, especially) into bags or containers until cool. PP, among other things, packed warm in containers, especially if thickly packed, will not cool quickly enough in a fridge or even a freezer.) Staph needs warm temps and time to outgrow; with time the Staph numbers reach what it needs to produce toxin. This toxin is not heat labile, in other words heat (if the item is reheated - even to high temps) will not affect it. (It's not the mayonnaise that made little Billy or Aunt Mimi sick a day or so after the family picnic - mayo is acidic enough where it is rarely a problem. It's the Staph-contaminated chicken in the chicken salad, or the pulled pork, or something that was handled while warm then packed warm.)

There are other pathogens, certainly, that can cross-contaminate foods after they are cooked and care must be taken to eliminate the possibility by keeping food contact surfaces clean.

Thanks for posting that

seems like 1/3 of it deals with shellfish

I learned 3 new words today, but could have died happy in ignorance, not knowing what balut was
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">one can wait to insert a temp probe until after the roast has cooked for some time, and the meats surface is likely to be pasteurized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dang, that makes tons of sense. I'm going to wait to probe beef roasts that I plan to take to rare. its such a simple thing to do.

Back