2005 Summit Platinum D6 Redux

Bill Pudim

TVWBB Super Fan
After 2 years of heavy use catering and personal use, the grill section is holding up fine but the cart section not so much. It has a lot of flex leading to door misalignment and constantly falling off when moving. I noticed a gap between the floor pan and legs and figured I would bring them together and drill and bolt the legs to the floor. When I did that I could see that it was way out of square. I got my tape measure and measured the floor at 37” and measured the top horizontal support at 37.25”. Apparently this is the way it’s built. My idea now is to drill through the legs and floor pan and use washers to fill the gap to strengthen the cart. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 08CC2A18-CE44-4C30-AF6E-3B13E4741ABA.jpeg
    08CC2A18-CE44-4C30-AF6E-3B13E4741ABA.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 3F119F54-38A7-4384-AD44-49A258E2592F.jpeg
    3F119F54-38A7-4384-AD44-49A258E2592F.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 22
  • C3B2113E-086C-4DF0-976E-C1D6E1C102F7.jpeg
    C3B2113E-086C-4DF0-976E-C1D6E1C102F7.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 22
Hmmm. Is the cabinet all stainless?

That is the same style of floor pan as they use in the Genesis E3xx grills and some of the older Genesis and Spirit grills. Unless the floor pan was a total rusted mess, I haven't seen where the alignment became off by much. With that style of floor pan, it "lessens" the need for front and rear cross members which is a cost savings for Weber. If there were actual cross members under the floor pan that were either welded or bolted in, it would never be an issue. That would be my solution is to bolt or weld in two cross members that hold the bottom securely at the required measurement across.

I agree with Bruce's assessment, that grill is too big and heavy to constantly be moved around and not have lower crossmembers for more stability. Heck, I've come across Genesis 1000 grills that are much lighter and have lower crossmembers still be a little on the loose side which I'm sure was a result of the grill being moved around a lot

Yes it’s all stainless, and yes at 300 lbs it shouldn’t be moved around a lot, but that’s why I own it.

Then, I think you solution is to weld or bolt in a front and back cross member. Welding being the preferred solution. But either should solidify the whole frame a lot.

Your bare frame without the sides back and bottom should look something like my Genesis Platinum frame in this photo.

20210820_140035.jpg

Then, I think you solution is to weld or bolt in a front and back cross member. Welding being the preferred solution. But either should solidify the whole frame a lot.

Your bare frame without the sides back and bottom should look something like my Genesis Platinum frame in this photo.

View attachment 75324
The Summit relies on the side panels for structural integrity, they are welded to the legs and bolted to the floor panel. The problem is that the floor panel is so large, it flexes with any movement. I’ll figure something out, probably won’t be welding in any square stainless tubing.

The bolt in method is another alternative. It is really not that hard to do. Many members on this forum have replaced the left upper cross member on Genesis grills with that method. As that cross member has a high propensity to rust out.

View attachment 75324
That there Sir is a sexy beast for sure.

Just to be clear, that lid was not original to that grill. That is a franken grill really. Genesis Platinum B frame, Genesis 1000 cook box and some customized cabinetry.

Thoses Skyline hoods are really cool in my book. I grafted the smaller one on to a late Silver A to have the best of both worlds with a taller stance and nice flip up thermoset table while having a Skyline hood - plus my own Chicago addition!

Skyline 2 burner JON.jpeg

The bolt in method is another alternative. It is really not that hard to do. Many members on this forum have replaced the left upper cross member on Genesis grills with that method. As that cross member has a high propensity to rust out.
Bruce, the problem being finding a piece of square stainless tubing to make the repair.

You can get this for $51 shipped. It is what I used on two different SS Genesis Platinum frames. It is enough for front and back on a large frame Genesis, but if your grill is 37" across, it will be just short. It was only about $35 when I bought it, I think.

Here are two pieces that would be plenty for your grill for about $52 shipped.

Last edited:
Bill, I have another less expensive solution for your frame problem. I just picked up two 36" pieces of 1" aluminum tubing for about 8 or 9 bucks each. I am using them to put in front and back cross members on my Silver C that I am refurbing. I know you need slightly longer pieces, but even a 4 foot sections should be very reasonable. And you maintain your rust proof cabinet with aluminum. Here is a photo of my frame with one of the two pieces fabbed in with connecting nuts. I can't do the second one yet as I only three of the connecting nuts and will need to order some more. They bite really well in the aluminum and even with just one installed the frame is shored up very nicely.

20230725_133149.jpg

Here is a photo of star connecting nut. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SHPSED0/?tag=tvwb-20

20230725_133503.jpg

Last edited:

Back