2005 Performer Refurb

Kyle TX

TVWBB Member
I finally got me a performer. I have been looking for a while and found a decent shape 2005. Wanted either this model or a SS with the handle through thermometer. Most everything will be great with just a good cleaning I am planning for this weekend. I do want to know if anyone knows what tubing is used for the frame. I am hoping to make a sleeve or something for the front casters, as the ends of the tubing is a little rough. I am very excited to have this though.

Attachments

• weber 2.jpg
    weber 2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 36
  • weber 1.jpg
    weber 1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 34
Does anyone know if Gen 3 and Gen 4 u shaped round tubing will fit in gen 2?
I had the same problem with a Gen 2 on a friends I did a few months ago only one side was toast. I called Weber and you needed to buy both of those frame sides and it was not available they were very nice I thought for sure a gen 3 or 4 would fit not sure why maybe they changed the height or something. And by the way it would not have been cheap.

So here is what I did take the performer apart bring the tubing to I think it was Metals Depot they sell round tubing made out of steel they can match the outside diameter but the inside is thicker that is not a problem so my initail idea was to use 1 1/8 wooden dowel from home depot insert that into the existing tubing to cover maybe a few inches above the top of the bolt and below. I cut the existing frame in the middle of the caps if your lucky its solid there so the easy part is the bolt hole at the top you can just drill with the insert but you will have to measure carefully to get the bottom hole lined up and you need to make sure that the dowel does not go low on the bottom where you can't put the caster back in thru the metal. You can only buy the casters from Weber I needed new casters a set of caps cause the previous owner just jammed a piece of metal and bolted it through so it was missing a caster needed a set of those a new charcoal grate a set of charcoal baskets.

Crazy as it sounds I have a pool so there is a piece that scoops crap out and it was shot but the aluminum on that piece was the diameter I needed for the insert which is what I used. When I got it all together used JB Weld where the new piece met the old piece for added strenght sanded even though you can't see it but anal sometimes.

By the way the length of the tubing on the caster side is differnt than the fixed side so don't make a mistake of taking a measurement from the fixed wheel side.

I had the same problem with a Gen 2 on a friends I did a few months ago only one side was toast. I called Weber and you needed to buy both of those frame sides and it was not available they were very nice I thought for sure a gen 3 or 4 would fit not sure why maybe they changed the height or something. And by the way it would not have been cheap.

So here is what I did take the performer apart bring the tubing to I think it was Metals Depot they sell round tubing made out of steel they can match the outside diameter but the inside is thicker that is not a problem so my initail idea was to use 1 1/8 wooden dowel from home depot insert that into the existing tubing to cover maybe a few inches above the top of the bolt and below. I cut the existing frame in the middle of the caps if your lucky its solid there so the easy part is the bolt hole at the top you can just drill with the insert but you will have to measure carefully to get the bottom hole lined up and you need to make sure that the dowel does not go low on the bottom where you can't put the caster back in thru the metal. You can only buy the casters from Weber I needed new casters a set of caps cause the previous owner just jammed a piece of metal and bolted it through so it was missing a caster needed a set of those a new charcoal grate a set of charcoal baskets.

Crazy as it sounds I have a pool so there is a piece that scoops crap out and it was shot but the aluminum on that piece was the diameter I needed for the insert which is what I used. When I got it all together used JB Weld where the new piece met the old piece for added strenght sanded even though you can't see it but anal sometimes.

By the way the length of the tubing on the caster side is differnt than the fixed side so don't make a mistake of taking a measurement from the fixed wheel side.
I can get this for $40 to salvage the frames and metal top. That's my plan at least.

Most of the parts on the parts on the Gen 2-4 Performers are pretty interchangeable. Buy that $40 one and salvage what you can. You should be able to piece together a pretty nice grill between that one and the one you already have.

The metal table is worth 40 bucks make sure the frame where the casters plug into is solid otherwise you got the same problem as your gen 2 sounds like a good plan. It looks like that one does not have the gas assist not sure whether your gen 2 has it can't tell but I think it does as the control panel is different then the one you are looking at might just be no tank hooked up to the gen 2?

Again and maybe that was Weber they claim the gen 2 frame is not available and the 3 or 4 won't fit as a replacement could the rep be wrong of course. Its only my opinion when your said and done especially used you want the gas assist can you do without out it of course but its a very nice feature. Use it all the time.

Last edited:
Well it all fits together good. I was so excited to prove my concept I just put it together without cleaning. Only thing I did wrong was I put the bottom rack upside down so the bin didn't go in. I will fix that when I take it apart again today to clean it all really good. My wife laughed and asked if after all the time I put into it was it worth it not buying one from the store. I told her she just doesn't understand the satisfaction I have of knowing mine is the only one like mine. I will add more pics after I get her all cleaned up and shiny.

Attachments

• PXL_20210514_002923491.jpg
    PXL_20210514_002923491.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 24
Well it all fits together good. I was so excited to prove my concept I just put it together without cleaning. Only thing I did wrong was I put the bottom rack upside down so the bin didn't go in. I will fix that when I take it apart again today to clean it all really good. My wife laughed and asked if after all the time I put into it was it worth it not buying one from the store. I told her she just doesn't understand the satisfaction I have of knowing mine is the only one like mine. I will add more pics after I get her all cleaned up and shiny.

Give it a good cleaning with some Simple Green and it will look good as new. Save any extra spare/old parts for your next project.
I'm sure you didn't spend anywhere near $459+tax for your grill.
They say time is money, but me personally I prefer tinkering around with grills in the garage versus sitting on the couch watching TV.

Give it a good cleaning with some Simple Green and it will look good as new. Save any extra spare/old parts for your next project.
I'm sure you didn't spend anywhere near $459+tax for your grill.
They say time is money, but me personally I prefer tinkering around with grills in the garage versus sitting on the couch watching TV.
Thanks totally agree I had a blast.

Kyle really happy that frame fit really don't know why Weber told me the newer frame would not although the one I did had no serial number long washed away they had to take my word it was a Gen 2. Good to know down the road but I made his work for about 10 bucks and some labor you would never know I splice it together can't see it cause the caps hide it.

Back