2005 Genesis Silver C Score

Ed P

TVWBB Platinum Member
Bought this from some very nice people on OfferUp a couple of days ago...they even included a propane tank. What do you guys use to keep the lid and the control panel nice and shiny?

The grates on this are like new, very heavy and appear to be porcelain over cast iron. The flavor bars are decent but I ordered SS replacements from Dave S. The burners are in good shape but the crossover tube is cracked (a new one is ordered and on the way). No rust that I can see, but hey...I'm in SoCal where it never rains (until it does). It is very clean inside and out and appears to have been very well taken care of, although I will replace the casters (also on order), no longer turning freely from being kept in the yard. We disassembled it and brought it home in our car, a Toyota Camry.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm very excited about our new grill!

Pic1.jpg

Last edited:
That is cool. Looks to be in good shape. #0000 steel wool and simple green will bring the new shine back to the lid and control panel.

Great score! Those are one of my favorites. I hope your cabinetry is not so rusted that it can't be brought back. The rest - besides replaceable parts - is pretty much bulletproof.

Looks like maybe you have a weld failure on that fold-down table. That is pretty common. If you can't get someone to redo the weld at a realistic price, you can fix by adding a stainless screw.

#0000 steel wool and simple green will bring the new shine back to the lid and control panel.

EEK! I'd be worried about the lettering on the control panel, but if you say so, I defer to your experience. Do you put any kind of car wax or anything else on after it's clean?

Looks like maybe you have a weld failure on that fold-down table. That is pretty common. If you can't get someone to redo the weld at a realistic price, you can fix by adding a stainless screw.

I can weld (I have MIG and TIG welders here at home) but I didn't see a broken weld and I don't know where to look. Are you talking about the tube expanders/connectors inside the handle tubing? The PO had put in a couple of self-tapping screws to keep them in place in the handle end, covered up by the lift-off shelf. Are/were those spot welded inside the tubing?

I was actually going to spring for a pellet grill or maybe a new gasser but reading the posts in this forum convinced me otherwise. I like the old stuff that was built to last.

I hope your cabinetry is not so rusted that it can't be brought back.
Again, I didn't see any rust, but I don't know where to look. I sure don't mind drilling down, so if I missed it, Is there a thread or topic that discusses these kind of topics? What to look for, how to remedy, etc? I don't want to clog the forum with stuff that has already been discussed.

I enjoy doing this kind of stuff, and I tend to identify with the guys who do the same. And I have a tendency to be OCD so there is that to deal with. I have too many hobbies and so little time...good enough is perfect for me.

Last edited:
Ed, beleive me, you won't damage the control panel or lid by using #0000 steel wool. I have cleaned up 50 of them that way. Others on here will attest to the same.

The PO had put in a couple of self-tapping screws to keep them in place in the handle end, covered up by the lift-off shelf. Are/were those spot welded inside the tubing?

Yes, those expansion joints are spot welded inside the tubes. Usually the ones on regular Genesis grills don't break, but on almost all of the Stainless steel framed Genesis Platinum grills, the spot welds are broken.

You don't have to worry about the control panel using 0000 steel wool and Simple Green. Yes, you can also wax. Some members here have also used polishing compound first. Wax will probably help the shine a little and protect, too. Wax on the hood may not work as well due to high temperatures. I have done it with my own black hood grill, though.

Yes, those expansion joints are spot welded inside the tubes. Usually the ones on regular Genesis grills don't break, but on almost all of the Stainless steel framed Genesis Platinum grills, the spot welds are broken.
It was difficult for my 16yo grandson and I to move across the yard, so I think the welds likely gave way from the PO moving it around the yard. The casters had flat spots on them, so evidently it was dragged around on concrete or asphalt at some point in its life, but no matter...it's on concrete now and should move easily enough with new casters. I have a spot welder, too, but there is no way that it will fit inside the tubing...it would need to be plug welded and repainted. Like I say, good enough is perfect.

Ed, you can get replacement caster wheels on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001HYY0L8/tvwb-20

I have a MIG welder and I have gotten it in good enough to get a good strong weld inside the tube. But, last resort, you could just weld the two tubes together along the outside and be done with it. A grinder is your friend.
Ok, thanks! I sincerely appreciate your advice, Bruce. My inclination would be to keep the grill as original as possible, so I would weld inside the tube as you say if/when the day comes. Is there some sort of rust preventative I can apply to the cabinet to forestall problems in that area? I was mostly concerned with black widow spiders collecting in the cabinet up to this point...

Whatever you do NEVER EVER use a ScotchBrite type of pad thinking it's less abrasive than steel wool. It's not. It will scratch up the finish BADLY. I found out the hard way

Is there some sort of rust preventative I can apply to the cabinet to forestall problems in that area?
You could use products like POR-15 to help prevent rust in the cabinet. But Living in SoCal should help a lot. Keeping it as dry as possible, well ventilated and "clean" will help you out a lot.

Back