2001 Silver C rehab/ how to ( or how not to) dye plastic grill parts

What product do you use for the citric acid bath? I like using Evapo Rust but its expensive.
Branden, I buy citric acid in bulk anywhere I can find it, usually in the powder form because it dissolves easier. Doesn't need to be food grade, industrial bulk cleaning citric acid is fine. 1/4 cup acid to a gallon of water. The hard part was finding a container that would fit the frame pieces that I was treating. Once I got the big plastic container, I realized that I could also start to experiment with electrolysis for rust treatment.

Branden, I buy citric acid in bulk anywhere I can find it, usually in the powder form because it dissolves easier. Doesn't need to be food grade, industrial bulk cleaning citric acid is fine. 1/4 cup acid to a gallon of water. The hard part was finding a container that would fit the frame pieces that I was treating. Once I got the big plastic container, I realized that I could also start to experiment with electrolysis for rust treatment.
I've never used that. What container did you use? I was wondering if one of those under the bed storage totes might work. I think they are for storing wrapping paper

If its plastic, holds water and is big enough, it should work. I just went to home depot and bought the biggest plastic storage bin that they had.

Even a tall skinny trash can would probably work. I have one that is about 3.5 feet tall and about the size of a kitchen 13 gal. waste can on the bottom and not much bigger at the top.

I've also been trying to come up with a vessel similar to yours for dying parts. It would be cool to find something large enough to fit the whole pieces in at once. I was thinking maybe a stainless mud pan. Just thinking out loud...

What kind of pot is that anyway?

mud pan.jpgvessle.JPG

Branden,
It is a SS pot that was made for me by a gentleman that I once knew when I lived in Wisconsin (not Bruce). I told him that I needed a SS pot because I was in to brewing my own beer and needed a big pot for the boil. He made this for me, but it wasn't functional for my needs. 25 years later, I finally found a use for this pot!
That SS mud pan might be good. You would have to balance it on the single burner. What are it's dimensions?

I would also want the plastic pieces to be suspended off of the bottom, I worry that they might melt if in contact with the bottom of the pot.

RIck, I don't worry about most grill plastic pieces melting on the bottom. I think they are designed to be pretty high heat resistant. When I did my parts, I simply stirred them around ever 5 minutes or so to ensure one wasn't laying flat on the bottom and unable to pick up fresh dye to that area. On knobs, handles, end handles and durawood, I never noted any issues with melting or deforming.

So, it has been almost a month since I did the restoratation on my Silver C. I did the dye technique on the gray plastic end caps and handle and really like them being black. The end caps were treated with a ceramic clear coat product, Cerakote. No problems so far and they look great and have really maintained a nice gloss appearance .
Brian, I did have some problems with my handle. As you remember, I was hesitant to apply the clear coat to the handle, so I put on a couple coats of the high heat clear gloss. I had some minor problems with the handle sticking to the grill cover on hot days, as Brian alluded to in his post. Nothing bad but still annoying.
I took off the handle, cleaned it with acetone, and redid the black dye, I also did the knobs and rocker switches in black using the Rit dyemore and they turned out nice.
For the handle, I applied the ceramic clear coat, same as the end caps and it looks great. I am hoping that it stands up to the cover and the grill heat better than the High heat clear coat.
I will update later if any further problems.View attachment 12014

I dyed the rocker switch bracket a maroon color to match the lid.
View attachment 12015

View attachment 12013
Hi Rick! For the maroon accents, did you use normal Rit dye or dyemore? I can only find the maroon color in the normal Rit dye and a bright red in dyemore. Wondering if the normal Rit dye works as well. Thanks!

Hi Rick! For the maroon accents, did you use normal Rit dye or dyemore? I can only find the maroon color in the normal Rit dye and a bright red in dyemore. Wondering if the normal Rit dye works as well. Thanks!
Hi Rio
If you go to the Rit Dyemore website, they will give you a color formula dye chart. I think the one that I used for the maroon accents on that grill was called "Red Dusk". It was a combination of three different Dyemore colors
1⁄2 Cups Racing Red
1⁄2 Cup Super Pink
1⁄4 Cup Apricot Orange

this mixture created the maroon color and it turned out pretty nice. I was just experimenting and thought that the rocker switch bracket might look nice and standout a little better if I did an accent color to closely match the maroon lid color.
Check out the website, their color chart is endless as to the combinations of color that you can create. Good luck!

Hi Rio
If you go to the Rit Dyemore website, they will give you a color formula dye chart. I think the one that I used for the maroon accents on that grill was called "Red Dusk". It was a combination of three different Dyemore colors
1⁄2 Cups Racing Red
1⁄2 Cup Super Pink
1⁄4 Cup Apricot Orange

this mixture created the maroon color and it turned out pretty nice. I was just experimenting and thought that the rocker switch bracket might look nice and standout a little better if I did an accent color to closely match the maroon lid color.
Check out the website, their color chart is endless as to the combinations of color that you can create. Good luck!
Oh awesome, I’ll check it out! Thank you

Back