2000 Redhead Rehab

R Chin

TVWBB Member
My original Genesis 2000 that was passed along to my sister when I got the Summit 450 needs some love. Some rust throughout frame, needs slats, grates, drip pan rails (where can I get these)… but drip pan looks serviceable and stainless bars seem intact

Am I missing something? Worthwhile restoration?

Attachments

• IMG_8298.jpeg
    IMG_8298.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8297.jpeg
    IMG_8297.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8296.jpeg
    IMG_8296.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8300.jpeg
    IMG_8300.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 21
Take it apart and see what's underneath. That panel in front of the cook box is pretty much toast, not unusual on the long frame Genesis grills. Where that panel sits against the frame may also be hiding some serious rust through.

You probably need a parts grill or 2 if you want to do a full restoration. You might have some in your area.

You can repair that one but it will need some surgery

The one thing to keep in mind how long do you want it to last? A year or 2 no problem. 5 or more years you will need to stockpile replacement parts. Extra manifold, spare lid and firebox, burner tubes, drip pan, etc. Things that can’t be fabricated or bought easily.

Can I just get some aluminum flat bar and attach as rails for drain pan?
Does the front panel serve any purpose other aesthetics and hiding the manifold?

Looking to get it operational and address rust issues. I was thinking pull the frame/manifold, brush and hit with rustoleum. Do what I can with front panel and shelves.

My brother in law doesn’t really care so much about appearance…

Does the front panel serve any purpose other aesthetics and hiding the manifold?

Looking to get it operational and address rust issues. I was thinking pull the frame/manifold, brush and hit with rustoleum. Do what I can with front panel and shelves.

You can drill through the firebox and mount aluminum flatbar for rails using nuts and bolts if you can’t use the original mounting points.

Front panel provides some lateral support for the legs. The legs can get wobbly on those grills. A brace or gussets if you don’t have access to a welder will do

I would paint the firebox with hi heat paint to stop the oxidation. Either brush on or spray.

You probably need a parts grill or 2 if you want to do a full restoration. You might have some in your area.

You can repair that one but it will need some surgery

The one thing to keep in mind how long do you want it to last? A year or 2 no problem. 5 or more years you will need to stockpile replacement parts. Extra manifold, spare lid and firebox, burner tubes, drip pan, etc. Things that can’t be fabricated or bought easily.

If you do it right you wont need all those back up parts for it to last 5 years.

My 3000 is a 99 and although Ive changed some parts on it over the years its still going. Never the firebox, manifold, drip pan. (although Im about to take it apart now that I finished the Skyline)

I mean if u want to just get another couple years out of it just get a gallon of bedliner paint and a roller and slop it on aahahaa

Im kidding dont do that

My original Genesis 2000 that was passed along to my sister when I got the Summit 450 needs some love. Some rust throughout frame, needs slats, grates, drip pan rails (where can I get these)… but drip pan looks serviceable and stainless bars seem intact

Am I missing something? Worthwhile restoration?

You know the more I think about this, if that grill holds no sentimental value you might be better off searching your area for a Genesis 1000. You might come across something in way better shape and spend a ton less money. 40-60 bucks you could find one thats turn key and then salvage the parts off that red head.

Last edited:
Not without modifying it first. I know @Bruce made it work but I believe there was welding involved.

You are correct. Bruce showed me what he did to accommodate the deep box. E/W supports should be welded (could be bolted with the tube nut inserts) to the H shaped ends of the frames. Plus welding of the frame extensions to eliminate the sag. But a silver B box would drop right in.

You also have to move the igniter button bracket over about 3/4" to accommodate the 13 bar cook box/control panel witch is wider than a Silver B. Welder required.

So I use the firebox from Silver B? What about manifold?
Guy has boxes of parts and I’m not sure what’s there but didn’t see a firebox or lid…

Silver B and similar is anything with plastic shelving right?

Found this freebie
IMG_1350.png

The igniter switch is different if you plan on using the sideburner with the platinum as that particular model uses the same igniter as the fire box. You acquire that stuff and we will help you sort it all out!

Attachments

• IMG_7611.jpeg
    IMG_7611.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 6
The actual igniter is different as well. You use the same igniter for the burners as you do for the side burner. The picture cody posted shows the difference...they are relatively tough to find.

Back