2000 Genesis Silver B on the cheap/ gas regulator problems

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for a while and now have a situation/questions. There is a funny sound coming from the propane tank area. It sounds like the regulator, but I’m trying to stay open to other causes. It started the other day. Basically as soon as a burner is turned on, there is a whiny groan (almost like a continuous car horn off in the distance). It has come and gone, but now the sound doesn’t stop and you can smell gas as soon as the sound starts. The gas smell is coming from the regulator attached to the tank and it only smells when the valves are open, so I don’t think it is specifically a leak. It appears to be the original regulator and hose, so there may be leaks as well, but not enough to smell outside this situation.

Other than the sound and smell, the grill itself works fine. Blue flame, no sputtering, etc. I did chicken on it last night and the sound and smell went away after a few restarts. I tried again today and the sound and smell refuse to go away, even after several cycles of opening valves, lighting, shutting down.

I can get a Weber replacement regulator with a hose on Amazon for $35 or so. No big deal. My big concern is whether the Weber part box has everything I need. It’s a PITA to get stuff right now with covid and all, so I just want to get some opinions before I start with what I think is the most likely fix. Is it simply unscrew old hose from under the control panel and screw in new one or do I have to use pipe thread sealant and test with soapy water like dealing with natural gas inside your house? I’ve looked around on youtube and none of the videos I found addressed regulator problems with my model.187B7DE8-9A70-4B1E-9937-67F0CF29ACEE.jpeg3C922ACC-553E-48B9-A358-D0CD11CF1737.jpeg17961051-2771-4686-9D86-E9CE407DDCB7.jpeg187B7DE8-9A70-4B1E-9937-67F0CF29ACEE.jpeg3C922ACC-553E-48B9-A358-D0CD11CF1737.jpeg17961051-2771-4686-9D86-E9CE407DDCB7.jpeg

Other possible causes?
Other things to check?

Now the usual grill pr0n you want to see. I grabbed this 2000 silver b for $40 with a tank back in January. I paid $20 for the deposit on propane tanks previously, so I figured it was a steal. Then I realized that deposits had gone up to $30 in my area, so I really only paid $10 for a working Weber Genesis. The seller said that it has the original burner tubes and flavorizer bars. Both are in great working condition. No rust on the frame. Porcelain is ok-ish. The dark rusty-looking spots were from a bird getting marinade all over during a cook. The seller was the original owner, but let his son have it 5 or 10 years ago, only to get it back a couple years ago when the son moved. I don’t know why you would part with such an amazing grill. This one cooks like a dream. I replaced the igniter switch and reassembled the push button. Also, a new thermometer. Other than that, no other fixes needed. I replaced the original stamped steel grates with some bare cast iron ones off Amazon for $50 or so. All said and told, I have about $100 in it and it cooks better than any grill I’ve had so far.

The grates were a no-namer that were fun to get seasoned. They resisted taking a coat for a while, even putting shortening on them before every cook, but now they are nice and deep black. Nothing makes grill marks like cast iron.

Eventually I would like to repaint the sides, box, and frame.

It is probably the regulator and likely not a problem. But as the hose is old, you might as well just replace it. The hose with regulator can be had for under #10 if you have the right kind of connector on the manifold (3/8" male flare). If you just have the 1/8" female NPT, you will need a hose that will cost a bit more.

3/8" flare: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078K8DSXC/?tag=TVWB-20
1/8" NPT: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075R73GRY/?tag=TVWB-20

Yes, you will need pipe thread sealant on the 1/8" NPT connection. THe 3/8" flare does not need and you should not use pipe thread sealant on it.

Quick update- in case anyone else is having problems like this

I got my new regulator today. I grabbed the 3/8 flare version posted above. Install was painless and took about 2 minutes.

My best guess is that the sound I was hearing was probably the regulator going into bypass/safety mode and the rubber diaphragm was either damaged or dry rotted allowing gas to come out of the breather hole and that was why I smelled gas when the sound happened. Sound is definitely gone. But now I have another situation that has come up from this.

The grill is now running much much hotter. Either the regulator was holding it back or the new one is allowing too much gas through. It’s rated at 1psi, which I believe is the same as the old. Nothing has changed with the manifold/valves/orifices, so maybe this is how the grill is supposed to run. If so, I understand why flavorizer bars disintegrate. Within a minute or two, mine were smoking even without cooking anything. If so, I’ll be switching to SS grates. My cast iron was smoking a minute later and the seasoning was burning off. It used to take 10-15 minutes on high to smoke the grates.

New question- my grill sounds like a blowtorch on high and cruises at 350 with one burner on low. The flames on high are a mix of blue and orange. Tubes looked fine last time I checked and the flame was only blue with the old regulator. Normal operation? Time to try a different regulator? Time for new tubes?

Yah, that sounds a bit high. My grill holds in the lower 200's with one burner on low. I am not sure what the deal is unless you maybe have a natural gas manifold or orifices on there.

One way to check is to find a 3/64" drill bit and try to stick the shank into the orifice. If it goes in, it is NG, if not, then it is an LP orifice.

My guess is either you installed a high pressure regulator (proper one is rated 11"WC) OR you have a natural gas grill some dimwit slapped a LP regulator on

After looking around a little more, the jury is out on the WC rating for the regulator I bought. The package only says 1 psi low pressure. The description on amazon says nothing about water column, but a reply to a question in the listing says 11-27 inches WC. That’s quite the range to me. The listing also mentions 80k btu. I believe my grill is 36k. So ballpark math tells me that this regulator is probably delivering twice the gas I need, hence the blowtorch effect on high. Other reviews have mentioned similar results. Weber says my grill uses part 7501, so I ponied up the $35 for that and now I wait.

If I still have problems with the correct weber replacement part, I’ll take a look at the manifold and orifices. The guy I bought it from said it’s always been on LP and he hadn’t touched anything, including original burner tubes and flavorizer bars. The cart has a tank scale and the model number matched the LP version, so hopefully no one messed with anything and it really is just an overpowered regulator.

The regulator has a range because that is the limits of it's "flow capability" which is NOT related to it's pressure output. The proper regulator for a gas grill unless otherwise specifically specified is 11" WC
I believe that would equate to about 1/2 PSI but I could be wrong. Might be 3/4 psi In any case you either still have an issue of A the regulator is not correct and or B somebody foolishly decided to put an LP regulator on a NG grill

Back