2 Briskets at the Same Time!-Weber Summit Kamado

AlanB

TVWBB Member
I have been asked to cook 6 briskets for the Family Reunion coming up in late October. Last year I did the same and I guess it was a hit since I've been asked again. Last year I cooked the briskets on my WSK one at a time over the course of a few months before the reunion. After each cook as soon as the brisket cooled down, I separated them between point and flat and then vacuum-sealed and froze them (without slicing). I did this because the site of the reunion is over 2 hours away. I then thawed them out and we re-heated them the morning of the reunion on-site using an offset smoker my brother borrowed from a friend. I thought they turned out at least 95% as good as they would fresh off the grill using this method. Why not just cook them on the offset smoker? Well, I know how to make a good brisket on my WSK and I have no experience whatsoever with an offset smoker.

I plan to do the same thing this year, with one major change: I am going to attempt to cook 2 briskets at a time on the WSK. Last Christmas I received a Big Joe Expander from the Ceramic Grill Store (https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/big-joe-expander). This fits the WSK perfectly and gives an additional 20" X 18" grill surface on top of the regular grate; big enough to hold another brisket. Here is how it looks on my grill:IMG_20240918_164959.jpg

I will attempt this for the first time tomorrow night. Our local grocery stores (Kroger/Albertsons) run Choice brisket at less than $2 a pound 2-3X a year and I load up my freezer when that happens. The two briskets I will be using tomorrow are 14 and 15 pounds respectively. I will do my standard overnight cook with the briskets going on the grill around 8:30 P.M. I use the Fireboard Plus controller to control the grill temp at about 225 degrees overnight and wrap the briskets when they hit 170 degrees. They are usually done at around 203 degrees and/or when they probe like butter. My rub of choice for briskets is SuckleBusters 1836 rub which has great flavor and large pepper grains that make a great bark.

Today I loaded up my charcoal basket with 5-6 wood chunks mixing Post Oak, Pecan and one Mesquite chunk and covered with lump charcoal:.
IMG_20240918_165105.jpg
I start my fire with one Masterbuilt Fire Starter cube and let it come up to temp. slowly. Tomorrow I will trim the briskets and will update this post as I progress.

Wish me luck!

Looks nice. Is the heat shield deep enough to hold the drippings of two briskets? I feel like the time I did it, the shallow pan would have overflown.

Looks nice. Is the heat shield deep enough to hold the drippings of two briskets? I feel like the time I did it, the shallow pan would have overflown.
Put an aluminum tray atop the heat shield. We have disposable ones so it makes cleanups easy. And heavy duty foil the heat shield.

Put an aluminum tray atop the heat shield. We have disposable ones so it makes cleanups easy. And heavy duty foil the heat shield.
Yes, that is what I do. I use a Full Size Steam Table Pan from Sam's that I recycle from previous cooks. Fits just about perfectly length-wise in the WSK and keeps the grill clean.

Is the foil tray right up to the grate?
Wondering if the smoke will get underneath and how the bark will turn out

Is the foil tray right up to the grate?
Wondering if the smoke will get underneath and how the bark will turn out
The smoke works via convection and emanates from the outer edge of the deflector plate. You can put apple juice in that aluminum pan too and develop a great bark. Bark is usually set by 170° or so. Usually you’d wrap in paper at that temperature to then finish at 200-203° or so.

It took a little over an hour for the WSK to come up to 225 degrees (I always let it come up naturally and don't turn on the Fireboard controller until it hits temp). Both briskets are in the WSK. Hopefully will not need to open the grill again until tomorrow morning.
IMG_20240919_203033.jpg

Can’t wait to see the results.

How has the fireboard set up treated you so far??
Love it. I have used it for 2.5 years now. As you can see in the graph from this cook it held the WSK close to 225 all night which it does every time. I power it using a rechargeable USB battery pack (10,000 mAH) which lasts at least 24 hours.

Briskets now wrapped. Bark looks good.

Brisket #2 (Top grate):
Brisket 2-Top Rack.jpg

Brisket #1 (Lower Grate):
Brisket 1-Lower Grate.jpg

I use disposable aluminum pans for wrapping. I have tried paper and aluminum foil in the past but this method seems to be the best for me in terms of finished product and ease of cleanup. After the cook I dump out the grease from these pans into a container and re-use them as drip pans on my next cook.
IMG_20240920_095241.jpg

I had to remove the top grate when putting the briskets back in as I couldn't manage to slide the bottom brisket in underneath without tearing the aluminum foil wrap.

Brisket #2 (top rack) hit 203 degrees in both flat/point and probed like melted butter. Total cooking time 15 hours 11 minutes (done about 2 hours after wrapping). Brisket #1 (bottom rack) running about 10-15 degrees behind.
IMG_20240920_114649.jpg

Back