1st time using B&B briqs, pulled pork

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Had this little 2.7 lb. pork butt roast in the freezer for 7 months, it needed cooked.
Rubbed with Oakridge Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken, B&B briquets for the fuel.

1623624612548.png

The little butt was done in 6 hours running at a steady 275F.

1623624689232.png

Nice and moist when pulled.

1623624756162.png

Sided with some, not shown, potato salad.

1623624835477.png

Shut the WSM down after the cook, she's a bit leaky, but here's what remained after she cooled down.

1623625270451.png

I'm liking this coal for bbq, it's a bit hard to get going good, that makes it work well with the minion method.
I'll stick with Kingsford in one form or another for grilling because it lights up so fast. I did test a short snake fuse with the B&B, it was a no go for me, didn't want to spread.

Good looking cook! Glad to hear that about the B&B as I picked up a couple bags on Friday. Saw a 3.5 lb butt at my local grocery store Saturday - now I wish I had bought it.

Looks really good Bob. Nice report on the B&B. Haven't seen any of it around here, not that it would make any difference with the charcoal ban.
This year they also got the pellet grills by saying anything that produces ash is banned. So gassers it is or not:mad:

Is it very humid there? Humidity is 92% here. I moved a bag of B&B from the garage to the house.
Yes, almost always humid here in the summer, but I've never had a problem with it affecting my charcoal. Some of the more dense varieties, like Weber and the old Stubbs, are slow to light off each other. I think B&B is in this category too. Kbb is what I usually use for the snake/fuse method.

What are "western style pork ribs???
In this case they were marked western style ribs, they were strips of butt/shoulder.
Usually called country style, but some called country style are cut from the loin.
It would be nice if they would always use two different names for 2 different cuts.

Back