1st smoke in progress.

Jerry P.

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm using my new WSM for the first time today to cook 2 7 lb butts. I did a minion start with 45 lit and a full ring. Shut down vents to 25% at 200 degrees. When the smoker came up to 250 degrees (as measured by the stock lid therm) I shut one vent completely and am now running at a consistent 240* for the last hour and a half. Should I shut another vent to get the temp down closer to 225 or just let it do it's thing? Everything seems fine and I'm happy with the ease of operation. Just curious what the experienced guys think.

About 6 hours in and everything is going fine but I do have a question. I had been running 235-240 pretty consistantly but after I lifted the lid for the first time, the temp rose to 280. Does lifting the lid cause a spike like this and how long might it take to calm back down?

I second that! Sounds like your off to a good start Jerry
icon_smile.gif
Avoid chasing temps and enjoy the cook
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks Rondo. I've been reading the advice on this site for about 6 months so I feel fully comfortable. I'm just cooking some pig, not trying to split the atom or cure cancer. What about my question about lifting the lid causing a spike?

If you are normally running the bottom vents just partially open, I would indeed expect a spike when the lid is removed. You are allowing a lot of air circulation down to the coals, whereas you were limiting air to control temperature before you lifted.

I seem to recall someone saying that their preferred method for getting temperatures up for a High Heat brisket was to offset the lid rather than to flip and prop the door.

"just cooking some pig, not trying to split the atom or cure cancer" ...
icon_biggrin.gif
LOL
icon_smile.gif
...you're definitely lookin at the big picture,Jerry
icon_wink.gif
AS for the temp spike deal; if you just sneak a peak..no..but if you have the lid off for longer than that, yes the temp rises, but it'll settle down on its own
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I prefer flipping/propping the door. I know Bryan (and others) prefer to offset the lid.

Jerry, if you need to lift the lid to check something, move a probe, whatever, lift it straight up with just enough clearance so that you can do whatever it is, then replace the lid as soon as possible. It seems to make quite a difference. Regardless, it should not take long for temps to re-establish - if the lid was not off long - maybe 15-20 min. If the lid was off for a bit then it still should take around the same time for temp stability but temps can stabilize higher after a prolonged burst of air. Doesn't matter though.

Yeah, I took my sweet time getting the lid back on. I pulled off a butt to finish in the oven for dinner and moved the other butt around for a minute or two. Lesson learned. The other butt is still on and reading 180 right now. The WSM is chugging along at 225. Can't wait to post the pics tomorrow.

Hey Jerry,
Hope the first smoke finished well-I'm sure it did. The WSM usually produces excellent results.

Have you ridden the new Northstar line yet out of Big Lake? I'm thinking about trying it for a couple Twins games this year. I'm curious how the ride is on that train.

Keep on smokin'. I'll be looking for smoke billowing on the western horizon
icon_biggrin.gif

joe

I haven't ridden the light rail yet, Joe, but I have the same plan as you. I have a 20 game season ticket package and I live about 10 miles from the train station.

One butt still on the WSM. It's at 186 right now and the WSM is on cruise control at 220. I can't believe how easy it is to hold steady temps. I was hesitant to use a clay saucer instead of water but if it's this easy, my water pan may never get wet!

Hey Jerry and Joe,nice to see more Mn folks on the forum
icon_smile.gif
We spend most of the summer on SW corner of the Twin Cities..Shakopee area...nice to get away from 90*/95% summer heat here
icon_redface.gif
We do a lot of WSM smokin for friends and numerous relatives in the area ...hard to beat a MN summer
icon_smile.gif

I know Shakopee well, Rondo. My brother lives by Stonebrooke golf course.

1st smoke is in the books and I couldn't be happier. My only mistake was not hiding the smoke wood better in the unlit coals. I used 5 chunks of apple. It all burned off right away and my butts had little to no smoke flavor. Maybe I didn't use enough wood or not the right type of wood for butts. I'll post a recap with pics later today or tomorrow.

Hey Jerry, Congrats on your first smoke. Love the waterless method. I still remember my first on my WSM. Great experience with the help of a lot of members from this forum.

Back