1st Meatloaf on a Smokey Joe smoker

So this is the first time I have smoked a meatloaf, also the first time bacon weaving. I made a bacon weave then placed 1 lb of ground beef and pork on it. It was seasoned with dried oregano, garlic salt, black pepper, minced onions, cumin, paprika, kosher salt, allspice, one egg and some water. I placed feta cheese, sliced onion and green olives on the meat. One of Wolfgast's post was an inspiration on that. Wrapped her up and put on the smoker for about 2.5-3 hours at 220. Came out pretty good except next time I am going to use less smoke.

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

I smoked a meatloaf a couple of months ago and discovered that you can easily oversmoke ground beef. It was good for a change but next time I will go very light with the wood.

Howdy hi Brian,

My initial trial of Smokey Joe Silver was to smoke meatloaf. I don't believe I've ever posted photos of SJS meatloaf--maybe the next time I smoke meatloaf, I'll post photos. Anyhow, I use smaller pieces of wood when smoking on SJS. I usually add one or two of the smaller pieces when I start and, then, add more as needed when tending the charcoal/ashes--depending upon the type of meat I'm cooking and how smokey I want that meat to be. It's a small cooking vessel, so it doesn't take much smoke to fill it. Below, is a photo showing the size of the smoke wood I use. You can determine the relative size of the wood by comparing it to the charcoal.

Wood%20Pieces%2001.jpg

Keep that Smokey Joe smoking!

###

Looks great! I'm doing a pair of meatloafs tonight and ones going to be bacon wrapped. Did the bacon come out crispy for you?

Back