1st briskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
This my second weekend w/my new WSM, I've decided to try a couple of briskets. Picked 2 up this morning in the 10lb range, and spent ~$60. Did I pay too much? My wife's gonna kill me.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Going to apply a rub here pretty soon, and was going to use the one mentioned in the over-nite cook section, unless someone wants to share a better one they use. I'll start cooking these around 3 or 4 Sunday morning. Is the apple juice basting a step not to skip? Think I may need to go out and pick some up.

Wish me luck, and TIA for any help.

Rob

I hate to say so, but yes, you paid too much. Much too much. Sam's generally sells them for 99? lb. I bought one last night a Wal Mart for $1.18. $3 lb is out of line. Sorry.

Ouch! I was afraid so, but had nothing to base it on. Lesson learned. The grocer matches coupons, I'll see if I can find something in the paper and take it to them. Thanks.

Hi Rob,
I, and others, like to put a thin coating of regular table mustard on the beast after trimming. Then a good coating of rub. The mustard won't come thru as a flavor but gives the rub something to hold to and it might help the bark. I do spritz with apple juice at half times when I've got the lid off and I'm doin' the flip-n-turn. (new weight lifting manoeuvre)
Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobBq:
[qb]Picked 2 up this morning in the 10lb range, and spent ~$60. Did I pay too much?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, it depends on what's available where you live. Here in California, where USDA Choice whole untrimmed briskets are scarce, I routinely pay $2.69/lb. No such thing as a 99 cent brisket in these parts.

Just shop around and see if you can find a better price.

Have fun,
Chris

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, Chris, but those probably have actual beef on them.

It's like the restaurant sign I saw, "T-bones 65?. With meat $15.95"

99 cent a pound briskets in N Cal? No. But, I pay $1.13/lb. for cryovac briskets in the 10-15 lb. range at Cash & Carry in San Jose. I've heard the same price at Smart & Final.

They are select, but I've done the $3.00/lb. choice grade and, to be honest, I can;t tell the difference (except in the thickness of my wallet).

Clark

Well, crap. Got 'em on at 4:30, stayed up till 5:30 to make sure the temp was stable (240*), then went to bed. Woke up and checked them at 9:30, and my pan had gone dry. Dome temp was 300*, who knows for how long. I refilled the pan, shut down the vents, and sprayed lots of apple juice on each. I'll get the temp down to 240* again and continue.

The reason I went to bed unconcerned about the water pan is b/c the last 3 times I've used my WSM, the water level has not moved any noticable amount. I thought I'd be safe. So what do you think this has done? Should I alter my temp/time plan for the rest of the cook? I did an internal meat check and it looks to be about 165*.

TIA, and wish me luck.

Hi Rob!

The water pan will very quickly evaporate at temps above 275? and especially quick at temps over 300?. That is what happened to you. Not to worry, it's happened to many of us.....especially prior to the internet! I once cooked a 15lb. brisket in a mere 6 hours! LOL

Overnighters can be tricky as the weather can change and severly impact your cooker. Usually an hour of stabilizing is plenty, but next time, perhaps a couple hours will be needed.

As far as the cook itself...probably not much harm although your bark may be a bit hardened and the brisket will be done earlier than planned. Good idea to mop heavily, but that will not undo the damage. If your bark is still too hard toward the end of the cook, wrap the brikset in foil for a few hours...that will soften it up a bit.

Best of luck!

Het Rob,
That's only a four hour nap -you must be tired! I'd bet you haven't ruined them but you might have a little drier bark. You couldn't have been at 300* for very long. If you had a full water pan when you turned in, you must have had the vents open pretty wide for all that water to evaporate so quick.
I don't think I'd change game plans tho', cook to the same internal temp you planned on originally. Good luck and keep us posted.
Dave

The briskets came out great! Nice, black bark, thick pink smoke ring, very flavorful. As this was my first, I'm not sure what to expect in juiciness. These were moist, but not juicy. Perfect with a little sauce, and you could cut it with a fork. Pulled them after 11 hours, foiled and coolered for 2.5 hours. I'll definitely be doing more of these, but hopefully at a better price per pound. In the mean time, I've got lots of leftovers to hold me till next time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the advice!!

Rob

Rob,

Make sure you cut against the grain. It will run a couple different ways from point to end. I just use my knife and life a couple strands of meat to see which way it goes. Makes a big difference.

brian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clark Stone:
[qb]99 cent a pound briskets in N Cal? No. But, I pay $1.13/lb. for cryovac briskets in the 10-15 lb. range at Cash & Carry in San Jose. I've heard the same price at Smart & Final.

They are select, but I've done the $3.00/lb. choice grade and, to be honest, I can;t tell the difference (except in the thickness of my wallet).

Clark[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Clark and Chris,

I have seen briskets for 99 cents a pound, but indeed, they were select grade. They have them at FoodsCo, a bulk food warehouse store. There is one here in SF. I'll bet there are more in the bay area.

As for the select vs. choice dilemma? Well, I've never been able to find choice or prime grade cryovac briskets here in the City. Except of course at Andronicos, where they cost 4.50 a pound for choice. Which I won't pay.

And those select grade briskets sure turn out good! Maybe I'm missing out and should shell out for a choice grade sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back