1st-Baby Back Ribs on WSM (Pic-Heavy)

Stephen Hammond

TVWBB Member
Ok, so i decided to go with ribs for my 2nd cook!

Date and Weather:
3/8/14, 40 ºF, Windy

Cooker and Fuel:
22.5" Smokey Mountain Cooker 2014, 4 Apple Chunks, and Kingsford Competition and Original mixed. Couldn't find any Competition.

Meat:
3 Slab's in Cryovac from Sam’s Club

Rinsed, trimmed, rubbed for a few hrs before hitting the WSM.

On the smoker a little about 1:30 pm.
2ecen0z.jpg

Off and ready to wrap about 4:30 pm. (Not sure why the bottom slab looks like that?)
3496knt.jpg

Unwrapped about 6:30 pm
k0iwzc.jpg

2a0n9e9.jpg

Sauced and off the smoker about 7 pm
256qlac.jpg

2e0mcsz.jpg

And plated with a smoked baked potato. I will admit the pictures are not very good.... as I may have had a couple of beers to many;)
dm448y.jpg

The only thing I think I'll do different is probably shorten the foiled time to 1 1/2 instead of 2 hrs. The ribs weren't completely fall of the bone but would like them with just a tad more bite. All in all they were pretty good for the 1st time on the smoker.

The ribs were last weekend and chicken was this weekend. Chicken post coming up and then thinking about brisket next weekend!

The potato (I believe I found the technique on this site) was spiraled cut about 1/8 of an inch, oiled, salted (Kosher) and I used fresh cracked pepper. Then placed on the grill 3 hrs. When I wrapped the ribs the potato's were soft so I placed them in between the wrapped ribs on the foil and then took them off when I unwrapped the ribs.

I did them again yesterday with the chicken and when they started to feel soft about 2 hrs (smoker running 250-275 ºF) I wrapped them in foil. Then my wife put in a warm oven for about 30 min.

Great looking ribs, Stephen.
I did my 1st cook on my 18.5 WSM yesterday, a slab of spare ribs, a slab of baby backs, and 2 fatties.
Used a different Simply Marvelous rub on each.
They all came out perfectly delicious.

JP

Stephen, good looking ribs there!

You didn't say what temps you kept the smoker at, but I do my BB's at around 275 and find that even an hour an a half is too much most of the time. Now I shoot for about an hour at that temp.

Stephen;
It looks to me like you have that new smoker dialed in near perfectly! Good work!

That's a plate of absolute goodness, it appears to me (you would need to send me a plate by drone to be certain, of course:rolleyes:).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back