1998 Weber summit 425 project - new member

Sonia Piecki

Picked up an old weber from a neighbour for free. Already have it completely taken apart, should be a fun project.

Pros: grills (newish), flavoriser bars and burners all in good or decent shape and awesome looking bbq with sideburner. Hoses also were replaced at some point.

Cons: needs cross-over tubes (ordered), one broken wheel and igniters in sad state (purchased) both caster wheel sleeves need replacing or fixing, one flavourful bar rest spot broken (I have a plan to address it) and yes there are some rust spots in the front and back panel. I do have a plan to address them and hopefully share an idea that will help others with the same issue. Wish me luck

Attachments

• 20220423_100227.jpg
    20220423_100227.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220420_130011.jpg
    20220420_130011.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220423_095743.jpg
    20220423_095743.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220424_193420.jpg
    20220424_193420.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 83
Yes, I have the 2002 Summit model 450. It’s a great grill! As you’re probably aware, the biggest issue that ruins these old grills is rust at the point in the firebox at the front where the burners penetrate into the firebox. Those teardrop shaped holes end up rusting out to the point where it becomes a dangerous fire risk. Many have contemplated a stainless steel insert on the inside of the firebox that would correct the situation, but no one to my knowledge has yet built such a modification. Will be interesting to see what you come up with! Keep us in the loop and post plenty of pictures!

Sonia. I do wish you luck. If you can get that grill back into good working order, you will have a really nice grill. The problem is getting parts for those grills. If you can find them, they are verrrry expensive sometimes and others are just not available either from Weber or aftermarket.
But, it sounds like you have a great start and please keep updating as you go along. I am not sure if I like those big SS shelves on that model or not.

Yes, I have the 2002 Summit model 450. It’s a great grill! As you’re probably aware, the biggest issue that ruins these old grills is rust at the point in the firebox at the front where the burners penetrate into the firebox. Those teardrop shaped holes end up rusting out to the point where it becomes a dangerous fire risk. Many have contemplated a stainless steel insert on the inside of the firebox that would correct the situation, but no one to my knowledge has yet built such a modification. Will be interesting to see what you come up with! Keep us in the loop and post plenty of pictures!
Thank you! My plan is along that line, I want to make a stainless steel insert pannel that would sit against the original firebox. The plan is for it to slip in behind and resting on the flavoriser bar support.

I'll make a template using a stove liner to start which might even be my temporary solution and could be changed out when necessary but I'll keep you guys posted.

Sonia. I do wish you luck. If you can get that grill back into good working order, you will have a really nice grill. The problem is getting parts for those grills. If you can find them, they are verrrry expensive sometimes and others are just not available either from Weber or aftermarket.
But, it sounds like you have a great start and please keep updating as you go along. I am not sure if I like those big SS shelves on that model or not.
Thank you! So far I've been lucky, the possibly most expensive piece will be getting my stainless steel inserts cut.

I'm going to try stove liners as templates and temporary solutions to test out the pattern so that I hopefully get them tight the first time. 🤞

Sonia,
Welcome to TVWBB!

I am also trying to restore a 4-burner 1st generation Summit similar to yours. I have also wanted to pursue the stainless shield idea. If you are having this fabricated, can you let me know what it would cost for your person to make a set for me? Hopefully a little more volume might reduce the per unit cost. If it worked out I would pay you for mine and shipping. Please keep us all posted, because I think I may not be the only interested person.😎

Sonia,
Welcome to TVWBB!

I am also trying to restore a 4-burner 1st generation Summit similar to yours. I have also wanted to pursue the stainless shield idea. If you are having this fabricated, can you let me know what it would cost for your person to make a set for me? Hopefully a little more volume might reduce the per unit cost. If it worked out I would pay you for mine and shipping. Please keep us all posted, because I think I may not be the only interested person.😎
Thank you! I think I might test run the stove liner for a bit before getting the stainless steel sheets done but I'll keep you and others in the loop on my progress. I'm hoping to start painting the box pieces tonight/tomorrow.

Good luck on your build! Looking forward to seeing pics :)

Sonja, I don't know if you mean painting cook box pieces, but if you do, I suggest you do not paint the inside of those pieces. Paint is not designed for inside a cook box, even the high temp stuff. It will push off noxious fumes that can be harmful if exposed to food cooking inside.
There may be some paints and finishes designed for inside use, but I don't know of any. Just trying to keep you from making a mistake. Many others, myself included have done it and had to undo it.

Sonja, I don't know if you mean painting cook box pieces, but if you do, I suggest you do not paint the inside of those pieces. Paint is not designed for inside a cook box, even the high temp stuff. It will push off noxious fumes that can be harmful if exposed to food cooking inside.
There may be some paints and finishes designed for inside use, but I don't know of any. Just trying to keep you from making a mistake. Many others, myself included have done it and had to undo it.
Thank you Bruce, that's a good point, my main focus was to paint the exterior but hadn't thought further on the interior other then I didn't see the point given it wouldn't keep it's look.

Thank you Bruce, that's a good point, my main focus was to paint the exterior but hadn't thought further on the interior other then I didn't see the point given it wouldn't keep it's look.
The interior ends up getting covered in "seasoning" which protects it. Many believe that this buildup is paint, and claim that the "paint" is peeling from the interior especially of the lid. This is just carbonized material that sticks to the interior, which actually ends up protecting the metal.

It's been a while since I gave an update. With camping season started and all the rain we've gotten I haven't spent as much time as I'd hope on my refurb but I've done some progress.

I cleaned all the individual pieces, started on sanding and painting the cookbox pieces. But that's where I've gotten so far. I'm hoping to repaint the frame and start assembling soon.

Sonia,
I hope it comes together for you. My restore is crawling along very slowly. We would love to see some pictures. I am especially interested in what you come up with for the firebox front repair.

Sorry meant to attach pictures last night but couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong. This was my cleanup day pics.
20220524_170223.jpg

Attachments

• 20220524_170229.jpg
    20220524_170229.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 7
Forgot to take pictures while I was painting but this was the prep
20220528_171220-jpg.52863

Attachments

• 20220528_171220.jpg
    20220528_171220.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 110
Thanks, Sonia! Looks like you are moving along. A photo essay of your work will be a wonderful reference to future restorers (me?!) of these classic examples of a Weber when that name meant something more. These old gems are getting rarer every day, so the few we can save will be among the very small number that can be appreciated in the not-too-distant future.

I have been taking a lot of pictures (not enough, though) and will start a thread when I have a little more to show.

Now that the pollen seems to have stopped trying to get my project finished.

Removed the old wheels
Quick sand all over the frame. Tapped off the parts I don't want to paint and first layer of spray paint app

Now that the pollen seems to have stopped trying to get my project finished.

Removed the old wheels
Quick sand all over the frame. Tapped off the parts I don't want to paint and first layer of spray paint app

Back