1980's HappyCooker - (Kenmore branded)

ChadRex

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello grillmates-

I know there are other topics on this HappyCooker, as promised i am uploading photos.

The story behind this Happy Cooker..
This one was my Fathers, He bought it from Sears in 1984/85 and he thought for sure at the time that it was a Weber re-branded as a Kenmore for exclusive sale by Sears.
This grill has unique features that other Weber kettles did not have when Dad bought this.
1) Thee internal ash pan: Very convenient for cleaning ash mess and picking out coals. it also had the saucer ash catcher between the tripod legs under the 3 daisy wheel vent covers

2) Lid had internal mounted bars that hooked into holes in the lower kettle along with a built in hook in the lid.
this allowed for an easy swing out of the way for access to cooking area, the lid would clip on side of the bowl and conveniently stood out of the way.

Other than those features and the black plastic handles with Kenmore stamped it looked every bit like an official Weber.
Growing up this is what i knew to be the "Best charcoal grill" My dad always said nothing beats a Weber.
every Thanksgiving my father would brave the winters to smoke our turkey on this kettle. It got plenty of use every summer preparing all the fixins for backyard grill.

Fathers day 2004 I bought my dad a Performer and ( hoping he would hand down his kettle) he did! I was a proud owner of my first "Weber" kettle.

Well it wasn't until I joined VWBB that I discovered that my dad's and my kettle was not a Weber. OMG i was shocked.. then i started looking at little differences, most noticeably the lack of any Weber stamping on the origianl daisy wheels, the size of the legs mounts ect.

I have had the grill for more than 10 years and it has seen many a turkey ,burgers, Japanese food and as you can tell it has been well used. IMHO has performed as good as a Weber.

I did not have time to give it a deep clean, as i used it last weekend, it has been used and cared for for more than 30 years.

[/URL
[URL=http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/ChadRex/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150219_122033_zps2e9ca5d5.jpg.html]

Last edited:
This one was my Fathers, He bought it from Sears in 1984/85 and he thought for sure at the time that it was a Weber rebranded as a Kenmore for exclusive sale by Sears.
I would have thought that would be older than 84/85, I'd figure that was back in the "patent pending" days. You might just have a collector's item there, no doubt Weber shut that puppy down for patent violation. There can't be many of those around

Chuck - You may be correct, i recall reading about Happy Cooker & its creator Unarco losing a patent law suit to Weber, & relocating from Illinois to Louisiana in the early 80's
My father said he bought the grill in 1984' from Sears, so it may have been the last of the series and of course the last of the inventory to be stocked at Sears.

James- well I could not even fathom an accurate estimate of how much was grilled on this.
I can estimate with some degree of accuracy that well over 500Lbs of Thanksgiving turkey was smoked on tis super kettle..

It performed well and still has held up no rust anywhere ( both my father & I have kept a cover on it and have taken very good care of it. The legs have rusted in the salt air of California coast, I have replaced the legs since I had it passed on to me) .

I will still use for appetizers/ burgers or veggies while a smoke slow & low brisket or ribs on my new performer. Of course I don't want to leave out my Mini wsm, it will have to be working too.

Last edited:

Back