18" WSM Question

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
I use my 18 incher for strictly making bacon and jerky and so it's smoking temperature never goes about 150F or so, occasionally it'll rise to around 175F. But at the level of the water pan and lower grill I'm noticing a thick, black build-up of whatever on the vertical wall of the center section that spray from a garden hose won't remove and this isn't the tan/light brown residue that normally coats the inside of the lid. Does anyone out there know of a solution for eliminating this build-up. Would a high temperature 'burn off' be the answer: a full ring of charcoal brought to a temperature of around 250F for several hours???????

Thanks for your input.

I get that also, usually a plastic or old metal scrapper removes it for the most part.

Tim

The porcelain finish is stronger than you think. Spray with oven cleaner and rinse well when done, I have used a sharp wood chissel and even a razor blade to get rid of the caked on build up ( carefully of course).

Could that thick, black build-up be what we call seasoning ???

It is, and just like layers of paint it eventually starts to peel off. I use an old metal 5 in 1 tool to remove it cause I don't want that flaking off and falling into the coals.

Tim

I would leave it alone. If it flakes off it's going straight down not on the center of you cooking grate. On the other hand the stuff that builds up under the lid I do wipe with a rag.
If you must clean maybe just wipe lightly to remove excess.

There is nothing wrong with using oven cleaner to disolve it as long as you do not leave anything in there that overcleaner has not taken off otherwise you may get some off gassing when you fire it up next time and that could be ugly.

I would fire it up hot as you can get it and then after it cools, brush off whatever comes off with a nylon brush I would not bother using oven cleaner. It's too harsh and not necessary imo. Of course, if you want it back to like new oven cleaner would work, but I don't see the point. If I felt I needed to do some scraping, I would get a plastic scraper and get what comes off easy. I can see how a metal scraper would work, but I can also see that if you slip you could gouge the porcelain. Probably not a big deal, but I wouldn't risk it.

Get if going with a full chimney and open all vents and tilt the lid a little off the edge and run it as hot as it will go. Brush it off and call it a day.

...Get if going with a full chimney and open all vents and tilt the lid a little off the edge and run it as hot as it will go. Brush it off and call it a day.

You mean a whole chimney fully lit poured onto a full ring of unlit charcoal???

Thanks but a metal scraper would seem a bit aggressive or destructive to the porcelain finish.

Like Dave O said that finish is pretty bullet proof. Think about those old speckled finished blue roasters & stock pots that our Grandparents had. Almost the same porcelain finish on thin gauge metal and no one had a problem using a metal spatula or spoon to scrape the sides. And really if you did scratch the finish at all, it's on the inside and will get coated with another layer of grease/smoke rather quickly.
Try the HH burn-off first and see if that works.

Tim

I'm with you Tony. We spend valuable time and effort building up that wonderful seasoning. Yes, some does flake off which is easily handled by a light wiping action with, at most, a 3M pad or something similar. Would hate to redo that effort.

I'm with you Tony. We spend valuable time and effort building up that wonderful seasoning. Yes, some does flake off which is easily handled by a light wiping action with, at most, a 3M pad or something similar. Would hate to redo that effort.

Seasoning is one thing and when it looks like a well seasoned pan I'm all for it. But when it gets really thick like tary gunk and starts falling off the side like an iceberg, than I'll do a scrape.:wsm:
OFC YMMV:)

Tim

on the rare occasions that I do scrape , I use one of those throw away plastic putty knives from home depot.

I would fire it up hot as you can get it and then after it cools, brush off whatever comes off with a nylon brush I would not bother using oven cleaner. It's too harsh and not necessary imo. Of course, if you want it back to like new oven cleaner would work, but I don't see the point. If I felt I needed to do some scraping, I would get a plastic scraper and get what comes off easy. I can see how a metal scraper would work, but I can also see that if you slip you could gouge the porcelain. Probably not a big deal, but I wouldn't risk it.

Get if going with a full chimney and open all vents and tilt the lid a little off the edge and run it as hot as it will go. Brush it off and call it a day.

Details, PLEASE. Is that a full lit chimney poured atop a full ring of unlit charcoal. Details, please.

tjkoko;
He's talking about a full chimney of lit into an empty smoker (no unlit). Open all of the vents and let it go. It'll probably go over 350 degrees and should burn most everything off. Then just wipe the ashes off and your're good to go.

FWIW
Dale53

tjkoko;
He's talking about a full chimney of lit into an empty smoker (no unlit). Open all of the vents and let it go. It'll probably go over 350 degrees and should burn most everything off. Then just wipe the ashes off and your're good to go.

FWIW
Dale53

Is the chimney of lit coals placed into the unit or are its coals poured into the smoke ring?????????

Edit: And I was thinking of leaving the grates in the unit hoping that the heat would clean them somewhat.

Last edited:

Back