14.5" wsm

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
I am a little behind and didn't know this was coming out until yesterday. I went to my local Ace Hardware to price it out, but they didn't have any in stock. The lady was nice enough to check other stores. She said that all of the other local Ace Hardware store have them in stock. I am going to save up and buy myself one of these. My wife is not a fan of smoked foods. I am hoping to change her mind though. I cannot wait to be able to get one and play around with it. I am going to need some pointers from everyone. Please let me know any tips you guys have for using the 14.5". Thanks in advance!

Chuck

spend some time and read here. I have learned more than I thought I would in the last month.

you can read about how to start the charcoal, what to cook and how to season, types of wood, cook times, internal temp, what to do cook as sides, etc.

also you can search youtube for videos to see people doing the above.

enjoy

When you have enough money to buy your WSM, buy it off Amazon using the link on this site so Chris can keep providing is this wonderful site.

The best advice I can give is when you get it use it often,that way you get a good feel for controlling temps.

What does you wife not like about smoked food? Has she eaten some that was oversmoked and left a bitter taste?
If so, with a clean burning charcoal fire with no added wood you can get to where there is a barely noticeable smoke flavor.

I know the anticipation is killing you. Just keep reading posts from all the wonderful people on here and adding your own twists to it and you will be an old pro in no time. It's amazing how good this device can make you look.

When you cook with it, just use a chunk or two of apple wood and see how your wife likes it. Work your way up from there.

Whatever you do, don't add chunks of wood to your charcoal because you don't see smoke coming out of the cooker. Rookie mistake that ends up over-smoking everything.

When you cook with it, just use a chunk or two of apple wood and see how your wife likes it. Work your way up from there...

I think that's good advice. I'll bet she's had an over-smoked experience in the past -- I call it the ashtray effect. Using small amounts of mild wood -- like a strong spice -- may help ...or use no smoke wood and see what she thinks.

Since I love to see the smoke come pouring out of a smoker I have taken to firing up the old New Braunfels empty just to get billows of smoke!

My wife is not a fan of smoked foods. I am hoping to change her mind though.

Does she like smoked turkey? If so, you might try a smoked turkey breast (go very light on the smoke wood) as an alternative to the more common bbq meats. And comparing the deli price for smoked turkey to what it costs you to make it, you can show how the WSM will eventually pay for itself in savings. :)

Nope to the smoked turkey. She did like chicken wings I did on it without using any smoke. I sauced the pulled pork I made yesterday and now find that she isn't a fan of BBQ sauce either. Oh well at least my 3 grown sons like my BBQ also I don't mind doing stuff for me on the WSM's and stuff for her on the Silver B

Back