14.5 WSM door knob issue

I just noticed that the inside of the knob on the 14.5 WSM door is possibly stripped inside and the textured/threaded screw won't catch and properly secure the latch assembly. :mad:

Can one buy JUST the knob and screw or have weber comp me one?

I stole/acquired this one on a Wally's floor clearance years ago ($45) (still unused) and now converting it into a double stacker to hang small/med full briskets or a couple of full baby back racks. Just got the mid section with new door but am now dealing with this issue. (rib hanger, customized hinge, extended charcoal ring (slow-hand) and fire dial all on order)

suggestions?

I would call Weber at 800-446-1071 and sweet talk them, but I understand they sell the door as an assembly that includes the knob and latch.

Wouldn’t hurt to try some super glue. Bad idea. See response below.

You may end up replacing the latch:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UC1TZWQ/?tag=tvwb-20

or the entire door with one from Cajun Bandit:

Last edited:
If all else fails you could try a drawer knob.
Might have to shorten or get a smaller machine screw.
And always turn your knob to the right, going to the left can loosen it and that's one way to strip it.

Sorry Chris, I must advise the use of super glue with anything in proximity of heat and smoke.
An old chemist from the Upjohn company told me that you have to realize that it is alpha cyanoacrilate, under heat, it breaks down to a cyanide gas! No way in the world is superglue the right product for the job!
Call Weber, be kind, you might need to buy a new knob assembly or figure out something yourself. Rocket science it ain’t!

hi chris

I was eyeing this but would the assembly fit in the hole? I know the Cajun B handle will not fit. Not sure if this is the same design and does not fit the hole.

FYI, Just got off the line with Weber CS and the best they could do is offer me a $25 door replacement for a $2 part. So much for good customer service folks. Billion dollar company making $$$ hand over fist during Covid and can't figure out how to send a paying customer a simple part??Instead they try to take more out of my pocket to fill theirs?? sorry for the rant...just struck a nerve being i never ask for anything for anybody.

They have awakened a dragon with me so let the bashing begin!!! They messed with the wrong cat...

Thanks for all of your responses, they are very helpful.

Don't worry, I'm not super handy but I immediately dismissed the use of superglue on this handle as it could easily compromise the action!! :oops:

hoogie

was eyeing this but would the assembly fit in the hole? I know the Cajun B handle will not fit. Not sure if this is the same design and does not fit the hole.
I assume it's the same as the CB handle. CB website says their handle fits all 2009 and newer doors. All 14.5" WSMs are 2014 or newer, so per their statement it should fit. But maybe give them a call to be sure. I've never done the replacement you need, so I can't speak from experience.

Decided to give it another go with a different Weber CS taking a different approach and BINGO!!! New door w/handle on its way no charge! :wsm:

I must have just gotten a no - help ******* on that first call. I bet he was an arm banner toting hall monitor in high school enforcing the rules during his free period with no flexibility and hated by his fellow students. Probably needs a hug. :geek:

I knew weber was better than that.

All is well.....

As a follow up on my double stacked WSM with regard to the simple door gasket mod.

Gasket on the doors....or gasket on the smoker? OR gasket on both??

Any feedback is appreciated

bh

I would call Weber at 800-446-1071 and sweet talk them, but I understand they sell the door as an assembly that includes the knob and latch.

Wouldn’t hurt to try some super glue. Bad idea. See response below.

You may end up replacing the latch:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UC1TZWQ/?tag=tvwb-20

or the entire door with one from Cajun Bandit:

The CB door for the 14 has been discontinued unfortunately. I emailed them and they said I cannot get it.

Same thing happened to me. So I installed one of these. Cam-lock. Cheap as chips, and works extremely well.

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 7

Back