14.5" in Penang, Malaysia

Donna Fong

TVWBB Super Fan
It is likely most of you know but I wanted to inform those who don't have Facebook pages (I don't), that I brought over a 14.5" WSM to Penang earlier this month. I gifted it to Harry Soo's sister, Sally who is an expert cook as well. Cathy Pacific didn't charge me any extra to have it checked in and it made it all the way to Malaysia through Hong Kong, unscathed.

As there is no Kingsford in Penang, we went to a local market and bought two plastic shopping bags of lump charcoal traditionally used in the area. We also went to Tesoro (British grocery store sorta like Walmart) and bought some pork ribs, a whole chicken and then to a local butcher for a pork shoulder. As Malaysia is a Muslim country, the pork is sold in a separate section of the store. The ribs were much shorter and a bit leaner than what we get a home, but decent. The shoulder was cut by hand so it looked different but I could still see the money muscle.

Harry's sister and mother were quick students and picked up everything we taught them. We had a nice American BBQ meal using Harry's sauce and rub and did the pork shoulder two ways (one American and one Asian style). We look forward to Sally's creations in the future.

My hats off to those of you who cook outside of the states. As it isn't easy to buy a smoker, the charcoal, or the meat. I've heard this many times for many countries.

Tremendous enterprise on your part. Kudos!!!
You gave her the gift that keeps on giving.
Will be looking forward to see what she does with the 14.5.

Back