13 Bar firebox on a SS Platinum C

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I thought someone on this forum told me that you could put a Genesis 1000 firebox on the Stainless Steel Platinum frames and it would fit well. Can anyone confirm this?

I don’t think it will since the firebox of the 1000 is wider. The platinum frame has the same crossbars On each side of the firebox like the regular steel frame

When I get to the point of working on my SS Platinum, I am going test it out. I would love to make that my personal grill but I really like the deep firebox.

I think you will find that even if you use a 13-bar control panel you will be an inch and a half or so off because the left to right is not the same. Don't remember in which direction, but I am pretty sure I measured this all out at one point. At that time, I wanted to put my Skyline hood and 13 bar box on a Silver B frame with the thermoset tables. I still think they are a lot more practical, but when I found out that my idea wouldn't work, I got more interested in doing a dark oak wood look instead.

It would be a cool marriage if you could get the classic firebox to work on that Platinum frame :coolkettle: . I can just see your blue hood with a Platinum frame. May just have to do some more custom resizing or accept a gap somewhere.

I thought it was something specific about the SS Platinum frame vs the Silver/Gold frame of those years.

Everything identical except for the material as far as I know. A Platinum firebox will say "Silver" on the casting. All the internals are the same parts.

Recently got enough grill parts to Frankenstein a whole one. Found out the hard way that a 1000 box won’t work on a silver b frame. Needless to say the words that came out as I was disassembling it.

source.gif

You might be able to cut out that right support bracket. It is not a whole bar and move everything else 1” to the right. The manifold might have enough room. But you would need a customized control panel. But these are lots of mights ans mabeys. Is the 13 bar firebox so much better? I have never used one.

Back