12 degree ribs

That cook is a perfect candidate for a E6 cook. Flat ribs and insulated cooker. @Andy G just listed one for sale and he too is in MI.

May the force be with you today and may your hot chocolate have an adult add-in to keep you extra warm.

No room at the inn for any (and I mean ANY) more units right now. I’m just using what I’ve got, will let you know how this progresses. I’m going more old school, just monitoring pit temp, no meat probe, will instant read ribs later in the cook. I need to go get a piece of fish for a “non meat eater” who will be here too. Considering a pork loin on the kettle as well. Picked it up in the “Dog food” rack so, if it doesn’t get cooked by Monday, I think it will be buried with great embarrassment.
I must say at least it’s sunny!

No room at the inn for any (and I mean ANY) more units right now. I’m just using what I’ve got, will let you know how this progresses. I’m going more old school, just monitoring pit temp, no meat probe, will instant read ribs later in the cook. I need to go get a piece of fish for a “non meat eater” who will be here too. Considering a pork loin on the kettle as well. Picked it up in the “Dog food” rack so, if it doesn’t get cooked by Monday, I think it will be buried with great embarrassment.
I don’t own any meat probes. Just an instant read thermapen. It’s more fun living on the edge. Marinate that pork loin. You have time still. Overnight and then cook it. Excited for your cook.

I see lots of room in that yard! 😂

Well, it’s not the yard I’m worried about, it’s winter storage. Have not cleaned the garage since the whole Covid thing, simply didn’t feel like it! That changes this spring!! I’m shedding as much unused, unneeded stuff as I can, I swear (a lot!) that is priority as soon as it’s warm enough to spend time out there.
the cook is actually going just like a summer one maybe even easier. WSM operating as near perfectly as anything man has designed. Temps have held well, I did add a little coal but, no temp drops or spikes to be concerned with. Pretty much, 235-250 all day, I’m glad I started earlier than originally planned but, it might have a Touch early. We shall see, the pork loin will happen either tomorrow or Monday. Probably tomorrow.
The salmon will go on the kettle when people get here it’s only going to take about 20 minutes. Which should be just about right for some resting of ribs and vegetable cooking. The pearl onions will take most of the attention in that front. All prepped and ready for heat!

16:30
I just added some extra coals, more to just keep them warm than for further cooking, I’m really pleased with how this has all played out…so far.
Salmon prepped, will fire the kettle in about another hour.
2E709C20-435E-46C8-BBE6-216EFF5307DF.jpeg
Vegetables are prepped and panned ready for heat, mashed potatoes ready to warm up.
The pearl onions are ready to be creamy, sauce for the salmon all done.
Id say I’m easily two hours ahead of the curve (guess I could have started the ribs an hour later, C’est la Vie).
Its just nice to have a little time to enjoy a nice fire and some Irish whisky before the guests arrive. It will get noisy when that happens. The joyous sound of family getting together for a feast!

Thanks folks, here’s how it “feasted out”
Black bush to start the festivities, followed by:
7456B73D-06CD-4000-94BE-940D9270BFEC.jpeg
Clementine, scallion butter sauce
47BA2DD8-36B9-4995-9385-3A7EE413A78A.jpeg
Just a wee bit dry, I will lay that off to weather concerns which didn’t fully hinder as expected (Man plans, God laughs!) but NOT one guest wanted any sauce. I might use the few leftovers I’m keeping for some beans!
Well, Just a shade over twelve hours from ignition, the cleanup is almost done.
I think everyone has had a great evening here, I hop that you all have eaten and enjoyed family tonight as well.
I think it’s been a long day.
Made ”Swan” foil take away packets but, I’m too tired to go take picture.
Sleep well all, I know I will!

I prefer ribs slightly on the dry side, and a bit of tug off the bone. I'm not keen on over-sauced, sloppy fall-off-the-bone-down-your-shirt ribs.
I always serve sauce on the side, in bowls, for those who like more sauce.

I prefer ribs slightly on the dry side, and a bit of tug off the bone. I'm not keen on over-sauced, sloppy fall-off-the-bone-down-your-shirt ribs.
I always serve sauce on the side, in bowls, for those who like more sauce.
Should have been here! Killed off a bottle of Black Bush to boot!

Back