100% Wood pellets vs blend

Are there any negatives to using a 100% wood pellet (lumberjack hickory) vs a blended (Lumberjack hickory blend 60% red oak, 40% hickory)? Why would you choose one over the other? I do a good amount of hot and fast grilling for mid-week cooks, long smokes on the weekend. I have read the 100% wood pellets will produce more smoke flavor, but I did not know if there were any downsides to them.

I don't see any issues at all with going either way. It really comes down to experimenting and seeing what you like. One nice thing about the true 100% types like the Lumberjack hickory that you mention is that you can use them to make your own blends. A lot of pellets say Apple or whatever, but are actually only partly that and the rest is oak or some other additional wood. That doesn't make them bad, but they are not 100% of the featured wood on the label.

I think 100% hickory would be a good choice for chicken if you are looking for a stronger bbq flavor. It would work with other meats, but I would tend to go with apple for pork, or use a blend. I am still very much experimenting, but I do really like Weber's GrillMaster Blend. I just don't like the price. I have some other blends that I want to try that have similar composition. I hope someday to report back on my additional findings.

Another interesting option for blending in with other pellets is charcoal pellets. SmokeDaddy makes a good one, but I have purchased (at a way better price) a bag of Pit Boss's version. I am interested to see how they work. For people who miss the charcoal flavor of conventional bbq, this is a way to bring a little of that to your cooking.

Last edited:
You can purchase sample packs of BBQr's Delight pellets on Amazon which are 100% non-blended pellets to see what flavors you might enjoy without having to purchase full bags. BBQr's Delight is owned by Candy Weaver, past President of KCBS and current KCBS Board member.

Blends work well but I haven't noticed more smoke with 100% brands, I did notice with Kingsford that it looked like I was getting more smoke than with lj but I was using my sons PB5 instead of my Austin LX so that might have been the difference.

Blends work well but I haven't noticed more smoke with 100% brands, I did notice with Kingsford that it looked like I was getting more smoke than with lj but I was using my sons PB5 instead of my Austin LX so that might have been the difference.
That's interesting. I am looking forward to trying some of the Kingsford pellets.

All of the Weber pellets are blends. For high heat grilling when I don't want a ton of smoke flavor I use cherry or apple usually. I'd say weber cherry is my overall go-to. I have not tried other brands because I've been able so far to find local deals, seem like stores closing out of Smokefire stuff. Too bad they botched this launch so badly. I love my SmokeFire!

That's interesting. I am looking forward to trying some of the Kingsford pellets.
The supermarket near me carries the Kingsford pellets. I have used them and they are pretty good. They also carry Bear Mountain, which I really like.

The SmokeFire can be picky about some non Weber pellets. On about every pellet grill but the SmokeFire, I used CookinPellets 100% hickory almost always. I feel I get better smoke flavor with them. Hickory has a good BTU output I believe. I think the BTU factor is a big part of the reason you don’t find a lot of other species in 100%. I never saw anything different with 100% vs Oak/Hickory blend grill behavior wise.

As moody as the SmokeFire was I started with Weber pellets and ran 300 pounds or so before switching to CookinPellets. I ran a bag or two of Hickory without seeing issues, but had problems with temps when I tried a bag of their Perfect Mix. So, I went back to Weber pellets until I returned the SmokeFire. I liked the Grill Master blend in those better than Weber’s Hickory.

I don't see any issues at all with going either way. It really comes down to experimenting and seeing what you like. One nice thing about the true 100% types like the Lumberjack hickory that you mention is that you can use them to make your own blends. A lot of pellets say Apple or whatever, but are actually only partly that and the rest is oak or some other additional wood. That doesn't make them bad, but they are not 100% of the featured wood on the label.

I think 100% hickory would be a good choice for chicken if you are looking for a stronger bbq flavor. It would work with other meats, but I would tend to go with apple for pork, or use a blend. I am still very much experimenting, but I do really like Weber's GrillMaster Blend. I just don't like the price. I have some other blends that I want to try that have similar composition. I hope someday to report back on my additional findings.

Another interesting option for blending in with other pellets is charcoal pellets. SmokeDaddy makes a good one, but I have purchased (at a way better price) a bag of Pit Boss's version. I am interested to see how they work. For people who miss the charcoal flavor of conventional bbq, this is a way to bring a little of that to your cooking.
Jon, I've been using Pit Boss charcoal blend in my mixtures and as a solo pellet and I'm quite pleased with the added charcoal flavor it gives. It's subtle flavor but enough for my tastes.

I've used 4 brands in my Smokefire and all performed the same with feed and temperature. Weber, B&B, Pit Boss, and Lumberjack. My family likes a subtle smoke flavor so I use mostly blends. Even using the Pit Boss Competition blend I can put a ton of smoke on Jerky using smokeboost for 2 or more hours. My last batch was on 2.5 hours and when I open the bag to grab a piece the smoke smell is strong. My Camp Chef didn't give near that much smoke flavor to Jerky. This is just my opinion but when the controller/software is working properly the SmokeFire will perform with almost any decent pellets and will give excellent smoke flavor. At least that's my experience after only 8 months of use.

Rich,
That's good to hear. I am looking forward to trying it when tax season gets done.

Lew,
I think a number of SmokeFire users will be glad to hear that you have had success with those brands. Some are afraid to vary from Weber brand only. From all the great looking food we have seen here, I don't think there can be any doubt how well the SmokeFire is capable of smoking. It just seems to be temperamental about it! Hopefully, Weber will dial in the right software settings and get this thing working well consistently.

Rich,
That's good to hear. I am looking forward to trying it when tax season gets done.

Lew,
I think a number of SmokeFire users will be glad to hear that you have had success with those brands. Some are afraid to vary from Weber brand only. From all the great looking food we have seen here, I don't think there can be any doubt how well the SmokeFire is capable of smoking. It just seems to be temperamental about it! Hopefully, Weber will dial in the right software settings and get this thing working well consistently.
I agree with you about the penchant for Weber Pellets. However, like Weber, Rec Tec and Camp Chef insists their pellets are best for their grills but you and I know RT will burn just about anything. So will Camp Chef and so will the SF. When my controller/software behaves the EX6 is a great cooker from 150° to 600°. When it misbehaves I have to stay on top of it and make inputs to avoid flameouts or to recover temp after opening the lid. On those cooks it is anything but set it and forget it. I'm waiting for a mature suite of software.

Last edited:
I only have hickory and master blend currently. I wouldn’t drain the hopper to go with either flavor over another. In fact I don’t even pay much attention to what’s in there. I’ve been happy with the flavor from either one.

Back