1 burner goes out on low

BobJ

TVWBB Super Fan
On a 2001 Genesis 3 burner grill, the near burner that you use to light the grill goes out when turned to low, every now and then it'll flicker but that's it. The middle and back burners function correctly.

I did not replace the burners, manifold, or the regulator when I rebuilt it last week. Before I start shotgunning parts what do you think is the cause?

Thanks
Bob

Bob: Let's start with what you specifically did to "rebuild" the grill. Also, how did it work before you started rebuilding it?

Maybe "rebuild" is the wrong term, rehab might fit better.

Stripped it down repaired all the rust, repainted, and put it back together. Replacing a handful of parts that were shot, Other then the igniter, nothing had to do with producing the flame.

I did not check the function of the grill on low, this was a craigslist purchase. I do have spare used parts for this, I'll start swapping this am.

Did you clean the burners? If so, how did you do it. I guess I would start there, but just swapping out parts can lead you down the rabbit hole pretty quick. If you could post up some photos of the inside of the grill, may help someone on this list to pin down your problem.

Is it an LP or NG grill? Was it "converted" to whichever fuel it is using now from something else? Did you do a good job cleaning the burners? Hidden grease and deposits in the burner holes can cause this. Did you or someone else mess with the air shutters? If the other burners work fine and it's only that burner look at the air shutters. Does that one look different than the other 2? My guess is here fuel and or air flow issues

I agree with larry, but without some more information or evidence to look at, it is just big guessing game. Pictures are great, but even a more detailed description of what is going on and how things look would help. A background of exactly what was done to the grill during it's "cleaning" would help too.

There could be dozens of issues at play. How did you clean the burners? Did you make sure you knocked out and junk inside them? Is there some still left blocking gas flow. Is the valve seated into the end of the burner correctly after you put things back together? Did you rinse the burners and leave some water still inside the burner? Did you repaint the manifold and maybe get some paint on/in the valve? Did the valve orifice get damaged during the disassembly/reassembly?

Don't just start replacing stuff. It could be a "free" fix and swapping out good parts can become an expensive way to diagnose and fix a problem.

From the top. I did nothing other then brush off the burners with a hand wire brush, the holes look clean, but then that's just looks. 2 pics of the insides, the burner in question is the near one.
njq1UqP.jpg
[/IMG]
F9derse.jpg
[/IMG]

It's an LP grill. As I bought it used I don't know if someone messed with the shutters, I see no indication of such. I did just swap out the one burner, which is what's seen in the images above, with one from my old grill, that I know I've never messed with. Not much of any improvement.

I did nothing to the manifold other then wipe it off with Simple Green, it needs no painting. I did just clean/lube the valve for that burner, I found little globs of grease in the valve holes. Don't know the right terminology, and a stripped screw. Obviously someone had cleaned and over lubed it in the past. I did not pull the orifice. Should I do so and blast it with some brake cleaner? After putting it back together the flame on the front burner looks like the others on low although it's hard to see clearly in the sun. Will need to leave it till near sunset so I can see the flames better.

The regulator is the adjustable style, I can visually see no difference turning it one way or the other other then it starts to hum. Any idea if a change should be noticeable? I have a Manometer for the RV but don't know how I'd hook it up to the grill.

If it were me, I'd clean out that valve and orifice pretty thoroughly, and then take the front burner tube out and really clean it meticulously. I'd use a wire brush on it, and probably also a small pick, like a needle or a small paper clip to really clear out the holes, then hit it with some brake cleaner too just for good measure. Then I'd blow it out with compressed air, reassemble everything and see what happened.

Took pics last night, looks even all around now on low after cleaning the valve. Last question, can you tell from the image below if the flame on low is strong enough? Still wondering about the regulator. I question it as the flame on the crossover tube kind of runs back and forth, which of course you can't see or hear on a picture. Sounds like the wind is blowing it out, but there is no wind.

For comparison, here's it on high and low.
MyU9KRq.jpg
[/IMG]
ulEi7WZ.jpg

They look fine. I have noticed on the dual row center burner (as opposed to the single vertical ported type) the flames dance a bit. Honestly since you have futzed with the regulator I would replace it.

What fun would it be without futzing up a thing or 2. Going to take your advise. Congrats on your soon to be 5000 posts, 4999 at this moment. Lots of folks you've helped.

What fun would it be without futzing up a thing or 2. Going to take your advise. Congrats on your soon to be 5000 posts, 4999 at this moment. Lots of folks you've helped.

I know.......................right? Don't worry you're not alone. So do I get an award? :D

Yah, larry, you already are in the TVWBB Hall of Fame according to your profile. HAHA. Actually, I am just posting this so that I can see how many posts I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha, I am winning.

Back