1.5 bags of charcoal for two butts?

Allen S.

TVWBB Member
My 22.5 WSM is using a LOT of fuel. The last few times I have cooked, I have had to add a half bag of charcoal to finish the cook. I usually had to add those around the 10-11 hour mark. Is this normal?

I start it with the minion method, using a can in the middle of the coals which were poured around the can. I pour the lit coals into the coffee can and then lift the can out leaving the lit coals. Could THIS be causing the fire to burn too hot too fast?

If it matters, Im using Stubbs charcoal.

Allen, although I've never used Stubbs, can you provide more details of your cooks? I.E. water in the pan, vent settings, amount of meat, weather conditions, etc? There are lots of variables that affect fuel.

last one was about 70 degrees outside. cooking around 225-235, water in pan, vents about 1/2 way open all around.

Sounds about right to me since I use water and usually use one whole bag of Stubbs in my 18.5". (No guys, you can't fit that much under the '09 wsm pan. I use a Brinkman charcoal pan.)

Try any of these tips you can: Start off with hotter water or use less, put the cooker in a more wind-protected area, and get the meat on the cooker sooner for an efficient start that starts heating up the meat from the get-go. I've had a couple of bags of Stubbs that left me scratching my head, and sometimes there's a lot left over, sometimes hardly any. Don't be afraid to use Kbb if you want to spend less cash. You might have to stir the coals sometime, but the stuff has a rep for consistancy, that's for sure.

As for the can, I don't recommend it. Once you get a propane torch from Harbor Freight (about $30 w/ igniter), Northern Tools, etc, you'll see why I recommend it. You heat up the whole shootin' match from the get-go by lighting the center area and get quicker starts, less charcoal waste.

Hey Allen, A full ring in the 22.5 is about 21.5 lbs of charcoal. Depending on weather conditions, quantity of meat (at the beginning), average cooking temperatures (225-250 for me), newness of the WSM I can get between 10-12 hours out of a ring using no water. Just a couple of fire bricks.
The minion method I'm using is just adding my lit to the top of the full ring.
The fuel consumption you are mentioning is quite normal. I'm amazed, (thanks to the MM and the quality of the WSM) that a charge can burn this long.

Your heading says 1.5 bags for two butts. Just realize that it would be approx. the same amount of fuel for three, four or six butts.

Yep, sounds right to me also. I don't like it anymore then you Allen, but that seems to be what I burn. Last cook was 30 odd pounds of butts and I used a 21.5 lb bag, and at the last hour had to add about 3 to 4 more pounds..
I wonder if a smoker jacket would help the coals last longer ... He said out loud....

Brian

I would concur. While I am a devout KB user it makes sense from all that I have read that you would be using 3 or 4 pounds more.

Have you tried layering and packing your charcoal tighter? I know it can be a PIA.I can get 12 hrs plus from about 1/2 bag of Kford and this is using a small insert I place inside my charcoal ring in which I pack my charcoal. I use the insert because I don't always do big cooks and this helps keep the charcoal tight and reduces surface exposure which can cause your fuel to burn faster. Because my wsm doesn't snuff out the coals like most peoples do this also helps keep me from waisting fuel. I used it the time I had 4 birds,6 turkey legs a nice size fatty and 24 ABTS so it works pretty well even if the smoker has a little more stuff in it. But yeh,try packing your fuel tighter.

That is why I tell people only buy the 22 incher if you cooking for a lot of people every time. You use a lot more fuel. I have loaded my 18 inch wsm with over 30 pounds of food before! I have never used over a full bag of charcoal. Yes the WSM is not insulated so weather will figure into things.

Sorry to chime into this thread so late, but can confirm that the 22.5 uses quite a bit more than what folks say their 18.5s use on here.

Just did 8 butts (~80 pounds) this past weekend minion-style. Bag and a half of Stubbs in the ring, 3/4-full lit chimney on top. Got 14 hours at ~225 (though it took about 2 hours to get up to 225 with all the meat), no water. Had to add another half-chimney lit for the 15th hour as temps were dropping and the butts were just shy of poke-tender.

18.5 might be in my future for personal-cooks just to conserve Stubbs since its more expensive than KB, but when a volume smoke is in order, nothing beats packing a 22.5 full and forgetting about it for 14 hours.

Rich

I can do at least 12 hours on a full ring in my 22. I did a butt the other day with about 10lbs and didn't burn all the coals. I don't use a water pan; I have a big clay saucer from the garden center. Wind also doesn't effect my temps because I'm cooking on a covered patio.

It still sounds like you're burning more than you should optimally be. I'd drop the water and add some thermal mass to help retain heat. Check for leaks, and protect your air intake too.

I've had lots of luck on smaller cooks (6 hours and under) by filling half the ring and taking up the extra space with the charcoal baskets that came with my Performer.

Stan

I got a 22.5 for my bday. I've been using the 18 for over 5 years & had it down like clockwork. Did a butt last night on the new rig, and it was pain. It ran hot, and by the time I got up this morning, the coals were completely burned out. I could easily get 16 hours out of my 18 with out touching much. I prob got about 9-10 hours tops with the 22.

For two butts may I suggest using a mini-wsm ?

To use the minimal amount if charcoal use the smallest cooker available
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Another point to ponder, if you're using the can in the center method,doesn't the unlit coals kind of cover the lit ones when you remove the can? Heat rises,just like a lit match wil burn faster if you hold it with the fire tip down and the unburnt part up,spreading a few lit coals on top of the unlit forces the fire to burn down against the air flow so that your coal burns a little slower. Just a thought, I never tried it any other way than on top.

That is why I tell people only buy the 22 incher if you cooking for a lot of people every time. You use a lot more fuel. I have loaded my 18 inch wsm with over 30 pounds of food before! I have never used over a full bag of charcoal. Yes the WSM is not insulated so weather will figure into things.

I sold my 22 for the same reason. Bought it used at the right price but as I have said before I did not need the capacity. When I found out after 5 cooks how much fuel it used, it was time to go. I find the 18.5 is much more fuel efficient. If you are cooking large amounts or you want the space and don't care about the cost I think they're great but I will take an 18.5 anyday. It's all about expectations. They both do their job very well.

Now that I have a 22.5", I've got the room to make foiling easier. I'm running a dry pan with clay pot base while getting the smoke on, and then foiling and getting it DONE.

Since I'm not into using leftover briqs, I'm not starting with too much. I'll toss in a couple handfuls of unlit briqs after foiling if needed, but I'm not using too much fuel as long as I keep moderate temps.

A standard 22.5 inch kettle is a good low buck option for smoking smaller quantities as well. Smaller quantities = 3 or less racks of ribs; single pork butt 10 lbs or less, or 2-5 lbers, brisket 8lbs or less, etc.

I've gotten 8 hrs untended from a my 3 old wheeler, and nearly 14 hours from a 1/3 bowl load of Kingsford on my 2005 Performer. Did an 8.5 lb butt for almost 12 hrs, then 2+ more hours for rib tips.

You can do a LOT with a kettle.

Back