Our Little Girl is Growing Up

I used a Herm Sprenger prong collar with Roxy the first few months, haven't used it in >3 years but her everyday collar is a martingale collar.

s-l300.jpg

shopping

14918961_10207693719402915_6345712781223948144_o.jpg

I'd recommend watching a bunch of youtube videos before you try the herm sprenger collar.

Thanks for the information Clint, but a spike collar or chock chains are something I just won't use. The rescue organization we belong to just sees way to many injured dogs from those types of collars.
Also the training people won't allow them in their classes.

Thanks for the information Clint, but a *prong* collar or choke chains are something I just won't use. The rescue organization we belong to just sees way to many injured dogs from those types of collars.
Also the training people won't allow them in their classes.

Really. With my limited knowledge, I assume it would take a level of abuse (criminal, neglect, or accident) for injury to occur.

They look scary, but I think it was this video that showed me how to use it: https://youtu.be/YEnoPXgWG0U

I watched several other videos & probably wouldn't have considered it without seeing on old friend use one (choke chain) and talking with him about how he & his dad trained their dogs.

I used the Herm Sprenger prong collar just a handful of times soon after I got her; be sure to post what works for you.

Really. With my limited knowledge, I assume it would take a level of abuse (criminal, neglect, or accident) for injury to occur.

They look scary, but I think it was this video that showed me how to use it: https://youtu.be/YEnoPXgWG0U

I watched several other videos & probably wouldn't have considered it without seeing on old friend use one (choke chain) and talking with him about how he & his dad trained their dogs.

I used the Herm Sprenger prong collar just a handful of times soon after I got her; be sure to post what works for you.

You're right the vast majority of the injuries were caused the owners not knowing how to correctly use them. But still some are self inflected by the dog itself by bolting or fear. You can ask ten people which is the right way to put on a chock collar about seven out of ten will say the didn't know the was a right way.

If you look at the pictures we don't have their collars on when they are at home (The best part is you don't the clink - clink of the tags at night) and yes they are chipped.

I like using positive reinforcement with praise and treats for good behavior when training. Although a big training problem is when you have two or more dogs, they tend to focus on each other more than you. So now that Abby is settled in we will get with a more structured training program. More one on one and also she is enrolled with a highly rated dog trainer. So we will get there.

One of the fun parts of training Abby is Whitney. I can tell Abby to sit and Whitney plops her butt down and Abby looks over at her and plops her butt down. Well they both did what I asked so of course Whitney gets a treat too. Abby will follow Whitney's action every time.

Back