Smoke Day Brisket

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame

I decided to cook a brisket for smoke day since I hadn't done one in a while. I found out from my butcher that they no longer carried Creekstone farms, but had Aspen Ridge.
I gotta say. It's pretty darn close.

Trimmed and seasoned.

Fired up the WSM at 3 am. I was shooting for a 275 cook temp. I probably rolled closer to 260.

Right at wrap time. Internal was about 162.

WSM doing it thing with some TBS.

After the wrap, before the rest.

Slice from the center. This brisket's point overlapped a lot of the flat, but I like that.

Sliced towards the point.

My favorite, slices from the fat end.

Plated with some of my homeade sausage (recipe in the charcuterie forum) and some mac and cheese and mac salad.

Happy Smoke Day!

That looks SO good, Dustin! I'm still convinced y'all keep the good briskets in Texas! :) That sausage looks perfect, too. Nice cook!

R

The fat in the finished product, is that the non-rendering fat I've heard of on the Franklin BBQ show?

Congratulations on your brisket, and your homemade sausage too, Dustin!

The fat in the finished product, is that the non-rendering fat I've heard of on the Franklin BBQ show?

Congratulations on your brisket, and your homemade sausage too, Dustin!
Yes. Sometimes it's hard to see that fat between the point and flat. I don't like carving it out too much. If I was competing that would be gone. Any other fat I generally want as it's delicious. You general want it translucent and buttery.

That there brisket is spot on! Beautiful cook & plate.
I'm going to try your sausage recipe one day soon.

Great job on that brisket Dustin. Looks gorgeous. That plate is mouthwatering. I'm going to take a look at your sausage recipe also.

Back