The Saddest Post I’ve Ever Done.

So sorry to hear that.
Best of wishes and hope all goes well.
We will miss your contributions, but you got your priorities right.
Please keep us posted, every now and again

Hi Rich & Barb,
this getting old stuff is absolutly no fun sometimes.
"very small" and "very early" are good words.
Everyone here is thinking of you both. Look after Barb and do what the Doctors tell you.

Wow, as we know life is full of up's & downs & tough breaks.
Sounds like you guys caught this early and should be able to get it handled & taken care of. And have many years left together.
The wife just had minor surgery but luckily she just had a polyp. Got lucky & no cancer found. So we know what its like to go through the guessing, wondering & worry game.

You guys will get it handled and I'm sure that Barb will recover. Keep us posted,

Your friends to the north,

Russ & Deb

Thank you all our forum friends for your kind words and prayers. We will make it threw this and be back. Will keep you posted as we know. Thank you all so much. Barb

Just saw this. Rich and Barb, my wife and I have gone through what you're going through and it's scary stuff. The good thing is, it's almost never as bad as you think. You'll get through this. You're in our prayers.

Nancy and I wish you both strength and comfort through this. As they say around here at the chemo center, “You got this”.

Rich & Barb, you'll get through this. I know several folks who have successfully beaten this. Getting it caught early is good news.

Rich and Barb, I just read this and wanted you to know you're in my prayers. All is not lost, trust me.

Brian is entering his 19th year of dealing with prostate cancer. We caught it very early -- I got him in a test group at LSU when they were seeking men between 40 and 50 with prostate cancer in their family (his father got it in his 70s) -- and we went with the "gold standard" of treatment once he was diagnosed, he had his prostate removed. Over the ensuing years, he needed radiation due to some cancer cells that had evidently escaped from the prostate before it was removed. We'd watch his PSA go down to next to nothing and lo and behold after things were fine for a couple of years, it would start going up again. He had a second bout of radiation, this time focusing on prostate cancer that appeared on his spine. Sounds bad I know but the same cancer moving around is better than a second cancer making an appearance.

When Brian was first diagnosed in 2000, I was gobsmacked and spent a lot of time crying, expecting the worse and just feeling sorry for both of us. We don't have children and he was everything to me. We enjoyed our life so much and I felt so screwed, as our marriage was so good and he's such a good man -- I just couldn't see past the cancer for a bit. I couldn't conceive of even laughing again -- something we did all the time. And poor Brian hated medical stuff -- he couldn't even watch ME get a shot as he'd get weak in the knees.

On top of this, we'd just bought our first (and only) home less than two years before. Everyone wondered how we found the perfect home for the two of us after we'd waited so long to buy one (we had a fantastic apartment for a song for more than a decade). I was a mess, though both of us tried to be upbeat for the other. I felt guilty worrying about financial things when all that really mattered to me was that he wouldn't leave me all alone.

Not long after Brian's diagnosis, we discovered we had termites in our new home! I kept asking God why he couldn't just help us catch a break. Brian was out in the alley with the termite man and when he came inside suddenly, he found me crying -- I mean head down on the dining room table, sobbing away. He came and sat by me and tried to tell me everything would work out okay, reminding me what a "lucky sh*t" he is. I told him how worried I was about everything; because of his fear of all things medical and his white coat syndrome, I told him, "I just wish it was me instead of you who was sick." Imagine my surprise when my darling husband patted my arm and said calmly and sweetly, "I know, honey. I understand totally. I wish it was you, too!" The two of us started laughing and we haven't stopped since.

So Rich and Barb, please know that you'll deal with this and you'll survive. You will share scary times, wonderful times and though tears and fear will be with you for a while, your love for one another will not only keep you going but will get you through this with more pluck than you ever thought you had. There will be fun times and funny times. And life will go on as it has before. Just as Rich's heart problems didn't slay you, cancer won't either. Trust me on this one. One of the few benefits cancer has is it makes love even stronger. And throughout this journey you're taking together, you will enjoy your life just as you've always enjoyed it, except every day will be even more special because you have one another.

This past November, a small growth in Brian's left lung was diagnosed as early lung cancer. Here's that second cancer we were always dreading. He just finished his third bout of radiation and both his oncology doctors, prostate and lung, feel really good about his prognosis. It hardly grew at all since November and is very small. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Brian has exhausted every prostate cancer treatment available until each stopped working and he entered yet another phase of that cancer. But luckily, Dr. A. Oliver Sartor, an internationally recognized expert in prostate cancer, was working out of Tulane's Cancer Center. Dr. Sartor's expertise has focused on prostate cancer, predominantly in those patients who failed initial therapies. So after several years of ups and downs, he was referred to Dr. Sartor who has been our hero for the last 9+ years. Dr. Sartor is also very involved with Brian's lung cancer since November, which has encouraged both of us. Brian continues to remind me that he is "one lucky sh*t!"

So hang in there and hold onto one another as you travel this rocky road. I'm not a religious person though I'm a prolific prayer (that's pray-er) and will keep you both in my prayers. Something I read a couple years ago brought me some strength and I often think of it. "The Will of God will not take you where the Grace of God will not protect you." Hope it helps you as well.

Last edited:
Rich and Barb, i think i can speak for everyone here that you have our full support and prayers to fight this nasty disease.
May God Bless you Barb.

Just a note...

I know cancer therapy (depending on the treatment) can sometimes make if difficult to digest food.

Our friend, who is dealing with lymphoma, had bad digestive problems (painful gas, etc.) after starting chemotherapy, so I introduced her to a product called GT's Kombucha. This product if full of probiotics and enzymes, and it made digesting food more tolerable.

The oncology staff could not believe how this product helped our friend to eat better. She has been our dinner guest often, and I have been feeding her prime steaks, and Niman Ranch pork chops, etc., off the grill, along with fresh-baked rolls.

Maybe GT's is well known on the west coast, but I thought I would share the experience.

Just a note...

I know cancer therapy (depending on the treatment) can sometimes make if difficult to digest food.

Our friend, who is dealing with lymphoma, had bad digestive problems (painful gas, etc.) after starting chemotherapy, so I introduced her to a product called GT's Kombucha. This product if full of probiotics and enzymes, and it made digesting food more tolerable.

The oncology staff could not believe how this product helped our friend to eat better. She has been our dinner guest often, and I have been feeding her prime steaks, and Niman Ranch pork chops, etc., off the grill, along with fresh-baked rolls.

Maybe GT's is well known on the west coast, but I thought I would share the experience.

Thanks Rusty for the info. Barb

Barb and Rich, I missed this post. I wish for a full recovery to the best of health for both of you.

Back