Some Scorpions

Ohhhhkay :(

Anyways, the Reapers are starting to ripen. About 3 so far but 2 are hidden in the leaves and hard to get a pic but here's one.

AURSA4K.jpg

I like the "stinger" on the bottom. Some are really wrinkly (like the one to the left of the red one in the pic), this one not so much.

BTW, made my regular not-so-hot hummus yesterday BUT I used the wrong recipe with a slight addition. I love the buffalo wing blue cheese hummus to which I add 1 (fresh) either habanero or scorpion.

Well, this time (to my regular version) I added 2 scorpions from last year (from freezer). I found that habs from the freezer lose some of their heat soooo in they go.

The problem was I had already added 2 T of sriracha (normal for this recipe) when I put the scorpions in.

Well, I tell ya after I emptied the food processor, I had to lick the spatula.

I started getting warm after about 30 seconds :rolleyes: and a bit of a forehead sweat started. Thatsa some spicy hummus ;) (but will cool down a bit in a few days when the flavours meld).

This is fun :D

Last edited:
I thought about making that hummus again - been eating a bunch of that lately (dinner, so far tonight), with those pretzel chips

I just had a case of "Beware" (by marie sharpe) delivered today...and yes, that went into my substandard hummus (celery salt was the dominant flavor today)

Almost looks like blossom end rot on a tomato.

Not a negative comment about your crop, Len.

My new raised bed tomato crop has been plagued with blossom end rot this year, and your ripening pepper colors looked strikingly similar. :p

I added some lime, so I hope that helps some.

Not a negative comment about your crop, Len.

My new raised bed tomato crop has been plagued with blossom end rot this year, and your ripening pepper colors looked strikingly similar. :p

I added some lime, so I hope that helps some.
In regards to the lime, I don't have that issue (knock on wood) but from what I've read, soil pH should be around 6.5 (slightly acidic). Maybe you've used the wrong kind of fertilizer or compost? Maybe consider getting the soil tested?

I know one year I had shredded a ton of maple leaves so figured: hey, good fertilizer/compost so I dumped them in my tomato beds.

Next year: not a single tomato on my 8 plants.

Then I found this article. In part:
But all leaves are not created equal. The leaves of the eastern hemlock have twice as much nitrogen as the leaves of the red maple. White ash leaves are loaded with calcium, hemlock not so much. White ash leaves have a pH of 6.8, sugar maple leaves have a pH of 4.30. Some leaves aren’t suitable at all for composting, or should be used very sparingly. The leaves of black walnut trees and eucalyptus trees contain a natural herbicide that may keep your garden seeds from germinating.To avoid wasting all these valuable nutrients and roughage, it’s important to know how to use leaves effectively. Leaves are at their nutrient best shortly after they’ve fallen from the tree. Soon thereafter, their nutrient value begins to disappear. Leaves left on lawns or in piles over winter lose much of their mineral value to leaching. Leaves composted without shredding and not mixed with a green source of nitrogen may sit for years before decomposing. Without a source of nitrogen, leaves will not become compost but instead become leaf mold, a valuable soil addition in terms of drainage and water-holding capability, but not as valuable as mineral-rich compost.

And that was my problem: sugar maple leaves made the soil TOO acidic. Learned my lesson.

Not relevant to your issue but something to keep in mind.

One other thing: some tomato varieties are more susceptible to rot. Do some research and see what you've got and adjust next year.

Last edited:
I thought about making that hummus again - been eating a bunch of that lately (dinner, so far tonight), with those pretzel chips

I just had a case of "Beware" (by marie sharpe) delivered today...and yes, that went into my substandard hummus (celery salt was the dominant flavor today)

What, the buffalo wing one? I can't get enough of that version.

Beware Comatose-->only 100,000 shu. Baby food ;)

Celery salt ? Why? Use celery seed powder if anything. Unless you cut down on the "plain" salt component.

Last edited:
In regards to the lime, I don't have that issue (knock on wood) but from what I've read, soil pH should be around 6.5 (slightly acidic). Maybe you've used the wrong kind of fertilizer or compost? Maybe consider getting the soil tested?

I know one year I had shredded a ton of maple leaves so figured: hey, good fertilizer/compost so I dumped them in my tomato beds.

Next year: not a single tomato on my 8 plants.

Then I found this article. In part:

And that was my problem: sugar maple leaves made the soil TOO acidic. Learned my lesson.

Not relevant to your issue but something to keep in mind.

One other thing: some tomato varieties are more susceptible to rot. Do some research and see what you've got and adjust next year.

Thanks! Interesting writeup about leaves.

I planted Better Boy tomatoes for what it's worth.

They are producing, but I've lost about 50% of the crop due to end rot, worms, and ruptured skins. I'm using coffee grounds for an insecticide, and I just added some more lime and Epsom Salts. Maybe I should have added some bone meal too.

You can't guess Rusty.

May make things worse. Rather than dumping more chemicals on them get the soil tested. The money you spend on the test you'll save on the chemicals.

edit--> I found this article BEFORE I suggested the test. https://bonnieplants.com/library/conquer-blossom-end-rot/

[h=2]The best way to avoid blossom end rot:[/h]Start now by testing the soil. Although most vegetables do well with a soil pH of 6.2 to 6.8, for those with blossom-end the pH should be 6.5 to 6.8 to free more calcium in the soil chemistry.

Last edited:
Thanks! Interesting writeup about leaves.

I planted Better Boy tomatoes for what it's worth.

They are producing, but I've lost about 50% of the crop due to end rot, worms, and ruptured skins. I'm using coffee grounds for an insecticide, and I just added some more lime and Epsom Salts. Maybe I should have added some bone meal too.

Be careful with bone meal. Not all of it is rated for food crops. Due to BSE (mad cow) it is not recommended to use bone meal and to actually be extremely careful of inhaling the dust since the prions that cause the disease are not detroyed

Thought I'd post an update. They're ready to be picked. Some are a lot bigger than I thought. Looking forward to this crop :D

These are the Scorpions

tJkfj1e.jpg

Give you an idea of the size of the Scorpions
DfKkh57.jpg

And these are the Reapers

n8wEAET.jpg

And the Reapers
LJjFCTQ.jpg

About 90 days to this point. Really pleased with this harvest.

The next effort will be to get them ready for winter: pruning primarily and restrictlng water once they're permanently indoors.

Last edited:

Back