Weber Summit Charcoal mod

Scott Saw

TVWBB Member
I figured this a out a month or so ago and want to share. Wasn't really happy with the performance of the WSC as a smoker until I made an important discovery. The charcoal ring from a WSM 18" fits perfectly in the WSC. Game changer for me. Now I love my WSC for low and slow. Surprised that Weber doesn't market them as an add-on for that purpose w/ the WSC.

Scott,

Would like to see some pictures of that.

wl8OWZW.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

sorry for the oversized pics
First time using imgur

Last edited:
The main advantage is the added capacity so I don't have to add charcoal on long cooks. Don't know exactly how long, but a full ring would last a long time in the Summit.
The Summit came with 2 smallish charcoal baskets.

I have also used the WSM charcoal ring inside my WSCG... however, I am not sure there was any benefit using it.
And, I have smoked brisket over 14 hours in mine without adding charcoal. I do use Weber charcoal now. Seems to burn longer AND last longer than Kingsford.

I believe the charcoal baskets that come with the WSCG are the same as Weber's other charcoal baskets. No size difference.

The main advantage is the added capacity so I don't have to add charcoal on long cooks. Don't know exactly how long, but a full ring would last a long time in the Summit.
The Summit came with 2 smallish charcoal baskets.

Hi Scott. I'm not sure if I'm reading your response correctly but I don't think weber intends for us to use the charcoal baskets in the "smoke" configuration on the WSC. I think you're just supposed to place the charcoal grate in the lower position and load up as much coal in there as you can fit. That would allow for even more than you could fit in the WSM 18 ring. I'm thinking that it may be good to use the ring for a mid range 4-8hr cook as it would help keep a smaller amount of coals together a little better for a more even burn. I watched a test video by a youtuber: babybackmaniac - if I remember right he still had coal burning over 50hrs later on his WSC after putting a full load right on the grate in the lower position.

I'm getting ready to do some ribs tomorrow on my WSC which will be my second low/slow cook on it to date. Love the way this grill locks in on temp. I have a cyberq temp controller that I use on my WSM that I'm going to install for tomorrow's cook so I don't have to worry about babysitting it as much but I'm thinking it'll be overkill for ribs on this grill. I'm finding it holds temps really well!

Back