Brand New Damper Design - "The Micro Damper"

Are you printing the SG90 or MG90 parts? The MG90 parts are taller so if that's what you're printing then that would be why they are always too big.

I think I may have printed the MG90 parts the first time. Now that I have the SG90 servo, I am getting my friend to print the SG90 parts. Thanks!

Hey guys. so i finally got my microdamper assembled (thanks steve). What are people's settings on the primo xl? I am looking for pid settings to get me started.
thanks

Hey Scott, I have a Primo Kamado, (Round Smoker) and the default HeaterMeter settings work just fine for me. The fan runs very little once the temperature of the grill gets to the set point. Since your grill is larger, I would think your fan would run a little more, but not excessively. My guess is you may not have to adjust PID settings at all. I used the fan and servo that Steve recommends. It works phenomenally well!

Any change you could do a model that would accept a RJ45 Keystone connector inside it? I know it's going to be lot bigger, but those 4-pin jacks are impossible to find outside Mouser... I ordered some from ebay, but they are too long and won't fit inside the Microdamper assembly.

I wouldn't mind a bigger size, just would like to get a good looking connector securely inside the Microdamper.

I've made a couple microdampers for friends and just used the ethernet cable soldered right to the wires and put a grommet in the input hole to clean it up. I put a zip tie on the ethernet cable inside the damper to provide strain relief. The one on my grill I just leave in 24/7/365 and just put the end that plugs into the HeaterMeter inside the grill to protected it once the smoker has cooled down.

EDIT: Photos!

Last edited:
I've made a couple microdampers for friends and just used the ethernet cable soldered right to the wires and put a grommet in the input hole to clean it up. I put a zip tie on the ethernet cable inside the damper to provide strain relief. The one on my grill I just leave in 24/7/365 and just put the end that plugs into the HeaterMeter inside the grill to protected it once the smoker has cooled down.

My approach as well, but just for gits and shiggles, I use male and female servo connectors in case I need to replace components.

Hi,

What's the best (and a cheap) way to install Microdamper to a Akorn Kamado 6719? The usable width of the steel plate at the intake is just about 30 mm so it's impossible to attach a 1" NPT pipe.

Does the system work if I use a smaller pipe? My fan is a 10 CFM one.

EDIT: Photos!

Nice one Bryan, I like the idea of the headphone jack, but GD, way too tight in there, this method isn't as clean, but, it works!

Yep know them, I was looking for the design Bryan has.... the pic above is a different top section... seems to be larger then the original design.

So ive had my microdamper for a few weeks now and it works pretty good. Few questions below.

-is the fan supposed to run all the time?
-i can get the back damper to move but sometimes it doesent when i know it should
-when i am ready to use should i manually force the damper to the closed position as the default point and then power it up so it can then open/move to its correct position?
-regarding my settings i have invert set on both checkboxes because if i dont the fan doesent blow and the damper doesent move, is that correct?

i am running this on a primo xl. Can anyone post preferred settings for the primo xl or similar? A screenshot of settings would be awesome as a baseline to start.

thanks for any insight.

Frank H sorry no. sorry not sure how else to explain it. the top where the actual damper is located is different then SteveCK's original design.

Bryan or SteveCK... do you guys understand what i am talking about?

Optical Illusion?

I just got a BGE and install a micro damper on it. Everything is working correctly.

Do you manually open a hole at the bottom as well as using the micro damper? I cant see to get it hot enough / bring it up to temp sometimes when it closed and only using the damper + fan at 100%.

Do I need to go the blower route? Confused why it has a hard time increasing temp.

Back