My 26" Performer

Stunning!
Will you "swirl" finish the skin like on "Warther " knives? If you folks have not seen them, they are beautiful pieces of equipment! I have their chefs knife in 10" (no longer shown in the catalog) twenty plus years and it still looks new! Cool place to visit too!

Tied up some loose ends. Got the top bolted to the frame. Prettified some fugly welds.
Added several bolts & a backing plate to the Unknown BBQ bracket where it attaches to the lid. Should eliminate some flex in that area of the lid.

PICT4708_zpstfbf6zta.jpg

PICT4711_zpsjyvlvgl5.jpg

Will be able to hang the grate now. Should make cooks a bit more convenient.

PICT4714_zpsg8gd5hiv.jpg

PICT4716_zps1otxi5ez.jpg

So the cart is pretty much finished (unless I decide it needs something else - like hooks for grill tools).

Got this monster propane burner that I'm going to fit to an 18" folding side shelf. I wish to make the top of the burner just below the level of the shelf'
& make a "cover" that's level with the shelf when not using the burner.

PICT4720_zpsaxlefxdo.jpg

Lots left to do!

Last edited:
Robert you have alot of good ideas going into this cooker. I really like what you are doing here, well thought out and more good ideas just keep coming, keep it up.

Robert, that looks absolutely amazing. It really makes me want to learn to weld!

Thanks, Dustin!

Expect to spend some dollah, if you go this route. & some learnin' curve. It's worth it, imho. Gotta practice... practice... practice.
Like most endeavors, prep takes most of the time - the actual welding doesn't take much time at all.

Welp... I'm still learnin' & don't look too close at my beads. Sure is fun, though.

Last edited:
Great work Robert, that should give you years of good grillin. The design and fabrication I think is outstanding.
I'm sure sorry I sold my welder when we moved the last time, but just wasn't using it anymore.

Great work Robert, that should give you years of good grillin. The design and fabrication I think is outstanding.
I'm sure sorry I sold my welder when we moved the last time, but just wasn't using it anymore.

Thanks, Rich. I'm hoping it will work well.

You could always buy another welder. The new inverter multi-process machines are very tempting (my wife is gonna kill me - want to learn tig).

Last edited:
Got some more accomplished with the propane burner/folding shelf:

PICT4742_zpsgbn9j9z9.jpg

PICT4750_zpsyeylnfud.jpg

PICT4748_zpsgrlln1bz.jpg

PICT4752_zpsbcwsxfea.jpg

PICT4753_zps8yqonzbr.jpg

Wow... is this thing heavy! Need to find some hinges that will support the weight.
Was sweating getting the burner cover level with the rest of the table top. It's not too bad. Acceptable to me.
For now, it rests on the the top of the burner "grates".
Need to work on making the burner cover easy to remove/add. Have a few ideas.

Robert-R.. skills to pays the bills, enjoying the 26er build.

Weber would be smart to make a 26er gas assist Performer, price wise less than the Summit Charcoal grill, but still affordable for us mere mortals.

TIG, MIG welder?

Lookin' good, Robert, and I like your homemade work table too.

I used to run a CNC burn table myself (in a weld shop), so I am familiar with a lot of what you're doing. I especially like the way you slitted the square tubing so it could be formed into a radius.

TIG, MIG welder?

Lookin' good, Robert, and I like your homemade work table too.

I used to run a CNC burn table myself (in a weld shop), so I am familiar with a lot of what you're doing. I especially like the way you slitted the square tubing so it could be formed into a radius.

Thanks, Rusty

I have a Miller 212 that I love dearly. However, would like to learn TIG. The new inverter based multi-process machines interest me. Doubt I'll get one though. Blue & Red want some serious dollars & I won't buy a Chinese welder (got burned on a Chinese plasma cutter).

That had to have been fun running a burn table. I want one. But again... could not justify the cost. Making stuff is a hobby, I'm pretty much self trained & also old. Little desire to turn things into a business. I don't mind projects taking longer. For me, the trade off between labor vs time/money usually ends with labor winning.

Thanks, Rusty

I have a Miller 212 that I love dearly. However, would like to learn TIG. The new inverter based multi-process machines interest me. Doubt I'll get one though. Blue & Red want some serious dollars & I won't buy a Chinese welder (got burned on a Chinese plasma cutter).

You're welcome, Robert!

I had a mobile Hobart unit (60 amps - I think) with a hand torch. The machine shop made me a holder so I could mount the torch on the burn table. Later on, the Hobart was fitted with machine mount-only torch that made things much easier. I could burn up to 3/16" plate with it.

That had to have been fun running a burn table. I want one. But again... could not justify the cost. Making stuff is a hobby, I'm pretty much self trained & also old. Little desire to turn things into a business. I don't mind projects taking longer. For me, the trade off between labor vs time/money usually ends with labor winning.

A local burn table install / repair shop buys old machines and refits them with CNC controls (Burny). These machines can be sometimes be had for less than you think. When the US Navy shut down their facility in Charleston, SC, they sold a 40 foot burn table for $600.00! If I had a building, I'd like to have something that could handle up to a 10' plate.

My particular unit used Harris oxy/fuel (natural gas) torches. These are great for thicker metals. The heaviest I ever burned was 4" thick. The hardest part about cutting plate that size is the piercing part. The ramp-up / oxy turn-on speed had to be balanced to keep from clogging the torch tip.

I'm like you in the speed department. I want it right the first time, and I don't mind taking the extra time to do it.

Again, you did a great job.

Last edited:
Well.... the Performer XL is pretty much finished (almost). Got the hinged extension completed.

PICT4819_zpsnbmf7pny.jpg

PICT4805_zpsxzim9hyy.jpg

Need to workout the lid/cover for the burner (waiting for some ebay neodymium magnet discs to arrive) & paint.

A few pix to compare it to my Performer:

PICT4824_zpsohmdojil.jpg

PICT4828_zpsvslczvmv.jpg

PICT4848_zpsimm3wpgb.jpg

I really like this one (I'm sure Tim Allen would approve :p):

PICT4844_zps19ejgvw5.jpg

Last edited:
This what a preformer should look like, a little dress up on the welds, and a good coat of paint. As you said a few fine points, then some good food to show off the build.
About the only thing that is missing is the mini bar. Robert a work of art, outstanding engineering, and craftsmanship.
Congrats .

Never seen a side burner with so many orifices. I imagine one could fry a turkey on that burner.

Robert, are you concerned that the side table supports could pop loose if accidentally hit in an upwards motion? Maybe not, but it's just something that stuck out to me.

Back