Doug's Smoked Mushroom Dip

DA - We added until we could taste it - at least a heaping T-spoon in a cup of dip. Wanted to taste the h-rad over the smokiness of the dip...

Jane - I recall an episode of Food Tech where I learned that fresh grated h-radish has to have an acid (vinegar) added to activate the heat. No wonder last year's freshly grated horsie sauce was rather bland. Easier to open a new jar...

Thank you Doug for this recipe!

IMGP7241.JPG

Bob, that's a great photo! Surely, Doug's Smoked Mushroom Dip is among the greatest recipes on this forum.

Rita

Oh, yes, Jane. In the potato (even the side dish) category, yours is The Best without a doubt. Likewise, for dips, Doug's is right there. Now, if we combine the two...now, there's a thought...oh, the sublimeness...

Rita, keeling over with the thought

I made those potatoes for a dinner party I had, and while I was shopping, I had Kevin K. on the phone. He suggested I sub thyme for the dill, because I was serving them with rotisserie turkey. I also caramelized three huge red onions, and layered them with those. OMG! It was soooo good. So just a suggestion, you can use fresh thyme and it comes out fabulous. Everything else, besides the onions and thyme, were to the recipe.

Thanks for the awesome recipe Doug. I used 12oz of hickory smoked mushrooms and since I was out of onion flakes I used dried shallots. If was a party hit... It was also absolutely delicious on a toasted bagel for breakfast the next day.

I just found this recipe and have yet to make it but it's on our agenda for this weekend.

Just wanted to comment so perhaps other newbies to this board, like myself, would see it!

We made Doug's smoked mushrom dip this past weekend and it was truly to die for. We made a double batch with 16. oz. of sliced mushrooms. So we had to layer some of them in the pan for the smoker -- made no difference, as it was divine. We added a bit of cayenne and about 1/8 teaspoon of Tabasco to the original recipe.

Thank you so much, Doug. Both Brian and I think you've opened up a whole new world for us as we never thought about smoking mushrooms. Now, it's ON! We're planning a smoked mushroom cream sauce for the next time we have roast beef. And a nice thick mushroom cream sauce in little puff pastry shells, too, for a super easy to eat appetizer.

Five stars on the dip, Doug.

I made this today. Delicious! I used baby portobellos and mesquite for the wood. I will definitely be keeping this one. Thanks Doug!

I made this today. Delicious! I used baby portobellos and mesquite for the wood. I will definitely be keeping this one. Thanks Doug!
Thanks Matt for a reminder that I need to make this again soon.
I've never used pine nuts in it and it's still great.

Just wanted to bump this up again so everyone would remember how delicious it is! It's a great dip for the holiday weekend, too. Just make sure you put some aside so you'll have some for YOU once your guests leave....

Thanks again, Doug.

I re-wrote the entire recipe years ago using the changes Doug said in this thread that he made to his original recipe. Hope some of you find this useful.

Doug's Smoked Mushroom Dip
Recipe by Doug D on tvwbb.com (The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board)

8 oz. thickly sliced fresh mushrooms, smoked
12 oz. Whipped Philly Cream Cheese
8 oz. Sour Cream
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion flakes, ground
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 small chunks hickory wood

Butter a small 10x14" baking pan, and spread mushroom slices out in a single layer. Add fresh ground pepper to suit. Place in 235-250° smoker, add smoke wood, and smoke for 75-90 minutes. The slices should be cooked, but still slightly firm. Remove and allow to cool, reserving any juices and adding them to the dip. (During a rib cook, I set the pan on top of some foiled ribs, and just threw the wood on top of the coals.)

In a 6-cup bowl, thoroughly combine everything but the cream cheese and the smoked mushrooms in the bowl first, and then fold that mixture and the cream cheese together. Chop smoked mushroom slices coarsely (1/4" - 1/2" pieces), and fold into base mixture. Refrigerate and allow flavors to combine for at least a few hours.

For a thicker, chunkier dip, reduce sour cream to either 4 or 6 ounces, starting with 4 and adding as desired.

Haven't been here in ages, primarily due to more physical problems. But I hope to be coming around again soon. Can't wait to see what you guys and gals have been smoking.

--Michelle

Last edited:
Good to see your return Michelle, thanks for bumping one of my favorite recipes since I haven't made it in awhile.

Same here, Bob. I've got a pound of mushrooms I've got to use up and Brian, who's been sick for the last couple of days, has the "smoker itch," so I thought it would be something he could smoke quickly. I've been wanting to post a copy of the recipe all "put together again" with the changes Doug made to it over the years of this thread. I came back to find out when it was originally posted, as I wanted to add that info to my saved recipe.

I should've posted that photo you posted of the dip when you made it in that pretty blue bowl -- it looked so pretty I noticed after I perused all the messages to make sure Doug hadn't made any more changes over the years.

Thanks for your kind welcome, too -- you were always one of my favorites when I was a lurker.... oh, and you still are, of course.

Have a lovely holiday weekend. :flagkettle:

Thanks for the kind words Michelle!
Hope Brian is well soon and you both have a great Independence Holiday!
Here's that pic for you:

IMGP7241.JPG

Back