Number of Probes Supported by HM - Adding More?

Bryan Voskuil

Hello, all.

Lurked mostly, for a while, but time to ask some questions, I suppose!

I'm going to be finishing a gravity fed cabinet smoker build this month and am looking in to temp controller options. Given the DIY nature of most of what I do, the HeaterMeter stands out to me. I don't quite have the tools/skill to do all of the board level soldering, so I'd buy one pre-soldered, but interested in the rest of what you get from an Open Source project.

My question is, how many temp probes are supported out of the box? The follow up would be if it is possible to extend the number of probes some way?

Ideally, I'd have 1 pit probe (controlling the fan) and 16 meat probes.

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

The heatermeter will give you one pit probe plus 3 meat probes, period. People have asked before about adding probes, lots of ideas tossed about, but nothing that can can be realistically implemented now or any time in the near future.

4 HeaterMeter’s would give you 1 pit probe and 15 meat probes. The limitation on the HeaterMeter is tied to the ATMEGA micro controller. Depending on if they have internet connectivity, the units could still be setup to send email and/or SMS alerts for each probe.

I’d be inclined to build stripped down versions for the meat probe only units that don’t have a button board, output jack or LCD.

Last edited:
The heatermeter will give you one pit probe plus 3 meat probes, period. People have asked before about adding probes, lots of ideas tossed about, but nothing that can can be realistically implemented now or any time in the near future.

I saw a handful of posts suggesting such, but they were a little older. I didn't know if anything new had developed.

Thanks for the info.

4 HeaterMeter’s would give you 1 pit probe and 15 meat probes. The limitation on the HeaterMeter is tied to the ATMEGA micro controller. Depending on if they have internet connectivity, the units could still be setup to send email and/or SMS alerts for each probe.

I’d be inclined to build stripped down versions for the meat probe only units that don’t have a button board, output jack or LCD.

I kind of like this idea. I wouldn't need any bells and whistles for the add-on units. I'll look in to that!

I appreciate the response.

Back