WSM noob with charcoal issue

Did you smell like smoke? :D

Seriously, you will tend to smell of smoke. When I cook for a group, I take advantage of the resting period and rinse off (shower) and change my clothes. I also generally drop my clothes in the garage to keep from bringing too much of the smoke smell into the house. It’s not really a big deal, but I’m not a bib lover of smoke smell. Taste, sure, but not smell.

Hey Jerry,

This time around I used a spare coat to hang around the smoker...!

I was going to try to smoke a pork butt this weekend, but I could not put my head around buying a peace of meat for 5$/lbs CAD...
You guys in the state have it too damn easy!!!

$5/lb. for pork butt? Seriously? Even boned goes for $2/lb. here and it often goes on sale. A couple years ago a local market had it for $0.79/lb.

What's the penalty for smuggling butts into Canada? Maybe use a drone drop?
$0.99/lb sales are common in the StL area, and $0.89/lb ever so often.

Maple syrup and ONE cigar!
Well, I really am partial to New Hampshire syrup to be perfectly honest, grade B dark. I’m good on Michigan syrup right now so, it’s not an issue but, one cigar would probably be enough cigar for me for a couple of years. My tobacco vices have shrunk a lot over the last twenty years, if I got through half the cigar before it went “funky” I’d probably have a headache.

So as a newby myself w a 22.5, I started with the BBQ Chicken using weber briquettes. It came out a bit too smokey for me. I started with a chimney full of lit coals, and then added another 1/2 unlit and waited for them all to get grey. Once I got the temp up with the wood smoking, I put the chicken on. Started to loose temp early and added more briquette at around 45 minutes. This created a lot of smoke and I believe it made the chicken way to smokey.

I have also made some wings. Low and Slow with wings, while it can be very juicy, it does create rubbery skin, so you need to flash them over the coals which is a pain because you will have to remove the middle piece and transfer the grate just over the coals, and turn them all. ughhh.

For me, I believe that the WSM is best used for low and slow. I have a weber 650 that I can grill on and maintain any higher temp I want with ease and little prep.

Smoked some Beef Short Ribs. cooked them using the 3-2-1 method on the upper and lower racks, just some Worcestershire sauce, Kosher Salt and Cracked Pepper on the outside. Those came out awesome.

I did start to loose heat towards the last hour though and added some lit coals through the door (which is hard to do without spilling them onto your deck).

So as a newby myself w a 22.5, I started with the BBQ Chicken using weber briquettes. It came out a bit too smokey for me. I started with a chimney full of lit coals, and then added another 1/2 unlit and waited for them all to get grey. Once I got the temp up with the wood smoking, I put the chicken on. Started to loose temp early and added more briquette at around 45 minutes. This created a lot of smoke and I believe it made the chicken way to smokey.
KBB will give off a lot of white smoke when it first lights. Even the "pro" version puts out a lot of white smoke. If you don't like the taste of this, either add new briquettes just a handful at a time or get them going in the chimney before adding to the smoker. You might also want to back off on the smoke wood or switch to a mild wood like apple or pecan until you can determine the right approach for what you like.

Over the weekend we smoked a few pork tenderloins and loins. I loved the result on the loins. It had just the right amount of smoke for my taste. The tenderloins where a bit too smoky and they had an awesome smoke ring to it!!

I just used one 2" x 2" apple wood for taste. The wife keeps asking me to stop putting wood in it but I just cant do that! But I'm starting to wonder if the bbq dry rub might be the culprit.

The lump charcoal I used were pretty small and they kept falling through the grill so I had to add some more lit charcoal to it. I guess I should add expended mesh metal to stop the peaces from falling through.

How do you stop the lump charcoal from falling through in the chimney starter? I always make a mess when using lumps.

Also, is there a taste difference between a lump and briquette?

Back