Q220 Flame level...

Sooooo...

In today's update - I went to Home Depot and got a torch tip tool. And cleaned about 5 holes before I started to bend the tool.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong. I'm guessing these are supposed to go in a drill of some sort?!?

At any rate - for $25 I'm just going to buy a new burner. The likelihood of me putting the cleaning tip through my hand is too high :)

Will update with the new one is in!

Umm, they will bend if forced to much. And no, they do not go in a drill so that comment makes me wonder what you got. Should look like thishttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Welding-Torch-Tip-cleaner-Carburetor-Cleaning-Tool-Stainless-Steel-100-mm-SUA/321945344568?epid=1351487596&hash=item4af5701a38:g:bZ8AAOSwxN5WaefT

Yeah - that's what I have and they certainly don't look like they would go in a drill :)

But I can't imagine the patience you would need to work through each hole by hand.

More power to those of you who have done it!

Well, because I do mine several times a year it doesn't take more than ten minutes. If it is really plugged then I imagine it wojld take longer. And if you buy a new burner you will be back to cleaning the holes in 6 months or so. So grab a drink, sit down and just do it.

Like I mentioned before, I have a case full of cheap drill bits with some really small sizes. There is one size that is just perfect for the Q burners. It goes fast with just a quick in and out of each hole. (Save the jokes). The hard part is to keep from breaking the little bits. Using a big cordless drill makes it hard to do it delicately and I snap at least one off each time. But I have several in reserve. But, every time I do it, it seems like there is always more holes in a Q100 tube than what it looks like.

An adult beverage at your side helps

Well, because I do mine several times a year it doesn't take more than ten minutes. If it is really plugged then I imagine it wojld take longer. And if you buy a new burner you will be back to cleaning the holes in 6 months or so. So grab a drink, sit down and just do it.

Like I mentioned before, I have a case full of cheap drill bits with some really small sizes. There is one size that is just perfect for the Q burners. It goes fast with just a quick in and out of each hole. (Save the jokes). The hard part is to keep from breaking the little bits. Using a big cordless drill makes it hard to do it delicately and I snap at least one off each time. But I have several in reserve. But, every time I do it, it seems like there is always more holes in a Q100 tube than what it looks like.

I had an adult beverage right alongside me :)

These are so badly gummed up that I was using a hammer and thumbtack to get through them. That's 4 years of steak tip juices :)

I'll be more careful with the new one, and now I'll have time to keep one clean and find a better way to clean it all...

The good news in all of this is that it has reminded me how a great a little grill this is... I've been drooling over the next big propane grill, but with this thing all cleaned up and ready to go I honestly don't need it.

Thanks to all!

One thing you might want to try is if you have an angle grinder, put a wire brush on it and go over the top edge of the burner before you try to clean out the holes. That will loosen most of the gunk on and in the holes. If you don't have an angle grinder, use a wire wheel in a drill.

:weberq: I agree; Q's are GREAT little grills!

They do straight up grilling about as good as you could ask for, in my opinion at least. And, they are pretty easy to keep clean, even if you do have to put some time into the burner now and then.

p.s. If you have a Q 3200 :weberq3000: it is a great and NOT little grill;). Almost as much grill space as a Genesis 300 as you can see here:

okmr0m.jpg

For simplicity, ease of use, cost and performance, it is hard to be the Q series of grills.

Got the new burner in and fired up and it definitely makes a difference. I'm seeing close to a 50 degree temp increase and - more importantly to me - the grates are being more evenly heated. I now no longer have as many cool spots, so I have more space to sear things off.

I would not say that it heats up demonstrably faster though.

Now. How the heck do I clean this thing?!?! I've scraped all the grease out of the firebox, but I'd like to clean the exterior and the underside of the grate. I tried the usual household cleaners and the power washer and the grill just laughed at me....

I can try a more aggressive tip on the power washer, but I'd prefer to find something people have had success with before.

A drill with a wire wheel, kitchen steel wool, a screwdriver. All things I have used on cast iron grates.

A drill with a wire wheel, kitchen steel wool, a screwdriver. All things I have used on cast iron grates.

I use a ss painters brush. All I have ever needed. Course I haven't let my grate rust either.

I turn my grate over and get it hot. The carbon comes off pretty well then

The grates aren't rusted, so that's a plus. I'll try flipping them over and scraping as normal next....

For the actual grill top itself - any thoughts? There is baked on brown residue on the top of the grill. Honestly, I think it's burnt on dust and dirt, because there is no way that I would have gotten food there.

Maybe an orange cleaner and let it sit for awhile?

Those light colored tops tend to get stained pretty easily. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much unless you just can't stand it. Probably your only option if it won't come off with scrubbing is to repaint it.

Here are a couple Q2xx that I did last summer:

HVb3mEz.jpg

xdEXKlZ.jpg

I use good old ammonia and it gets it pretty darn clean. A scrub brush helps with the texture also

I read on an RV forum that some people rigged a hose with the regulator right next to the tank. I used to have the OPD issue so I just removed the regulator. I only use my Q with my RV, so I just tap into a quick connect. The RV supply is already regulated.
It can be potentially unsafe to modify your orifice.... disclaimer aside, I did it anyway. Just a tiny bit larger. Works great now.

Yah, that might be a bit dangerous. I don't think Q grills are supposed to operate in the 600+ degree range. But, hey, I bet you get some awesome sear marks on your Ribeyes. :)

Back