Pizza stone use on gasser

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A buddy of mine gave me some pizza stone material “planks” I just cut them down to allow about 1/2” clearance end to end as well as front to back. The trimmings, I plan on using to elevate the cooking deck slightly higher in the firebox. Do any of you folks see draft problems in that? If someone see a serious red flag, I won’t bother firing it off, I was also thinking that is would provide very even heat for baking things which are more “temperamental” (Gougere, (Choux pastry),specifically). That’s a 425 range baking product, as for full throttle pizza heat, I don’t know, looking for some more grey cells working on whether or not this is a reasonable use for the Genny?
Thanks in advance for any insight you all may have!

I've used a pizza stone on my 2000 a few times but not almost wall-wall. I covered about 1/2-2/3 of the grate area, it worked okay bit not like the Kettle Pizza. My fear would be with that much covered you could over heat the firebox. Depending on how much of a lift you get using the trimmings to allow the trapped heat to get out.
If I did it I would definitely start off slow and gradually work up to full throttle and see how hot the box gets.

I have the same concerns as Rich. With only a 1/2" or so gap around the edges, it would be easy get 4 digit temps through the lower fire box. If do try it, do as Rich says and start low and slow, but then you are unlikely to get enough heat above the stone to actually cook the toppings.

Those have been my concerns exactly! The thickness of the trimming raises the level of the bottom of the “planks” by maybe 7/8” so the top of the stone 1 1/2 higher than grate level. I understand the obvious thermal “entrapment” under the stone and possibility of things going sideways with high heat deformation. I’ll see how it works through a batch of of “Cheesy Poofs” at 425 as a first try. But as the weather guessers are saying snow for the next solid week and a few other hurdles to jump right now, it very could be spring before I get to anything like pizzas! But, what do “They” really know?
Has winter stomped on you yet Bruce?

Snow. Fun.

In any event, if you can cut the stone, why not cut a little more, give youself say three inches clearance all around? That should be plenty ...

Yah, we got our 1" as predicted. All done now and nothing else predicted for a week or more. But, it does look like we will be ice fishing by Thanksgiving.

Even here in the southwest it was 28 degrees this morning, but it's very dry here. I don't like the cold but I just hate snow.

It is 27 here right now with our fresh 1" of snow. It is sunny now but there is some small flurries predicted later today. But, it will likely all slowly melt of the next several days. It isn't supposed to warm up much, but no more snow is predicted for at least a week. Who knows though. This morning there was no mention of flurries this afternoon.

y9xPWL2.jpg

Bout the same here. High 20's about 2" snow high winds very blustery. In short miserable LOL

Yah, certainly not good weather for working on rehabbing grills out in the driveway.

Ended up with about 2 1/2” of wet miserable snowy snot! Impossible to blow, used the blower as a plow which was less than fun but, it did get the residual walnut tree spoor off the driveway for the next blast!

Back