Turning bulky meats

I've got a pair of those silicone gloves that works well. I've seen people use cotton glove liners and then nitrile gloves over those. Briskets and Butts I'm not really flipping. I do use the gloves to take them out to wrap. Tri-tip, I usually use some tongs.

That is good feedback regarding the gloves but my specific dilemma at the time was on a couple recent Tri-Tips where I used a method that I never utilized before - after smoking them I disassembled the WSM and laid the food grate on the charcoal ring for the sear. I was not coordinated enough to work with my tongs without losing some of the bark.

I got a set of these forks for picking up Turkeys off the WSM and use them for pork butts and other things very handy

The thing with those forks is they might be fine for briskets or butts, but for a properly smoked turkey, no way!
I used them one time and once I pierced the skin it was like a frickin shower of juices running out.

Tim

I used to just reach in and grab the bird and have someone slide a platter under as soon as it cleared the rack! It worked well enough when I was “Young and Full of Juice” but, now... I have a big dexter spatula (with holes) and a BIG bayonet fork, spatula under, fork inside the cavity, lift and, pass it off to the platter. I’ve seen the “Juice Rain” before and am always doing my best to avoid another “foodburst”.

Back