New decade old Summit vs. New Genesis/Genesis II

I am meeting the guy this afternoon to bring it home. It will be interesting to see for sure. I'll post some before and after pictures. I may not get time to actually clean it until Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

A 45 minute drive each way and I came home with the grill. My three year old daughter says "Daddy has lots of grills" when asked what she did today. It was a mess for sure, but for $50, I couldn't say no. I gave it a good cleaning, but not a full detail.

As Purchased:

20170303_154452_zpstcgjpvnv.jpg

A bit dirty:

20170303_154456_zpsxitvvejk.jpg

And after the cleaning:

20170303_171325_zpsoigk95uw.jpg

So, it is really gray...

20170303_171329_zpssb6ymmlo.jpg

And teh only major flaw in the grill, the floor pan:

20170303_171350_zpsxyg8zwck.jpg

The burners all work well. The flavorizer bars are not stainless and are rusted, but not through. The grates look to be Weber replacement stainless. It could use an igniter. It gets spark, but the shroud is rotted away, so it doesn't really light. A full detail and scrubbing of the remaining grime will help the overall appearance. I can scavenge my decaying Genesis Silver C for a better condition drip tray and drip pan holder since the pan is rusted bad and the holder is just missing. I figure it will be an easy flip and help fund my Summit restoration. It even came with the good Weber cover in good shape.

A new floorpan is around $150. I'll leave that up to the next guy. I hope to list it by the weekend to free up the garage space.

Get yourself some of this http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator-27490.html outstanding stuff. I use it on areas of my cars where I cannot do any repair and it basically stops it cold. Just brush the loose scale off that lower shelf and surrounding area, make sure there is no grease and it's dry. Brush or spray this stuff on it voila'. I use it with a long tube to get inside body panels also. I'll lay odds 2 coats with this stuff and that shelf will look like a million bucks. Hell I would not sell that Genesis right away. See how your Summit goes. Then make the decision. You may want to keep both. I wish you were close to here BTW. I would buy one of them from ya. I need a housewarming gift for daughter and son in law

I am going to combine my current Genesis Silver C with this grill to make one solid Platinum grill. The paint on the top edge of the left side panel is flaking off due to rust. I will use the bottom tray/panel fro my Silver C to replace the rusted one as it is in much better shape. I will find a nice gray paint and repaint the side, back and replacement panels. Since they really aren't exposed to high heat, I think regular spray enamel should work. I'll then use it as my main grill while I restore my Summit.

A 45 minute drive each way and I came home with the grill. My three year old daughter says "Daddy has lots of grills" when asked what she did today. It was a mess for sure, but for $50, I couldn't say no. I gave it a good cleaning, but not a full detail.

As Purchased:

A bit dirty:

20170303_154456_zpsxitvvejk.jpg

And after the cleaning:

20170303_171325_zpsoigk95uw.jpg

So, it is really gray...

20170303_171329_zpssb6ymmlo.jpg

And teh only major flaw in the grill, the floor pan:

The burners all work well. The flavorizer bars are not stainless and are rusted, but not through. The grates look to be Weber replacement stainless. It could use an igniter. It gets spark, but the shroud is rotted away, so it doesn't really light. A full detail and scrubbing of the remaining grime will help the overall appearance. I can scavenge my decaying Genesis Silver C for a better condition drip tray and drip pan holder since the pan is rusted bad and the holder is just missing. I figure it will be an easy flip and help fund my Summit restoration. It even came with the good Weber cover in good shape.

Hi that is an awesome clean up!
what did you use to get it that clean? I have a Genesis Gold B from that era and I can never get all the grease stains off the back of the hood.

I used a product from my detailing arsenal. It is Poorboy's All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser. It is from www.poorboysworld.com. Companies like Autogeek also carry it. I used it full strength, but it does dilute well for lighter jobs.

A new floorpan is around $150. I'll leave that up to the next guy. I hope to list it by the weekend to free up the garage space.

My $10 Genesis silver also had a rusted out bottom assembly. Much worse than yours. A cheaper alternative would be the wire racks used on the Genesis silver from 2004 or older. The only issue is not having the notches for the doors.

I'm going to use some aluminum angle iron for the front and back frame and use cedar fence boards for the slats. I'll update my post when the project gets completed in a few weeks.

I started the rehab on the Platinum to get it ready to flip. I brought in a couple of assistants to help with the work. One handles the metal work while the other stresses how important clean shop is.

20170316_133220_zpsqpdzawlq.jpg

20170316_133429_zps63cwabfr.jpg

I'm hoping to knock out painting today and get it reassembled tomorrow so I can start work on my Summit. I'll get a few more pictures along the way too.

Set up the high end paint booth in the garage this morning and got a coat of Rustoleum Graphite Gray on the inside part of two panels. I used a bonding primer to help bond to the original porcelain coating. The paint is darker than stock, but the closest I could get. Once this stuff is dry, I will use a rust converting primer on the floorpan before painting that too. The stuff takes several hours to dry, so it isn't a quick process.

In the meanwhile, I started polishing the stainless and gray parts of the main grill. It is looking good so far, but the frame itself needs some more work to clean up.

20170318_124408_zpslszmpquo.jpg

20170318_124415_zpst14c5h6p.jpg

20170318_124839_zpslq1sjhuc.jpg

And the grill is done.

As purchased:

After the minor rehab

20170320_144818_zpsgnkley1v.jpg

20170320_144840_zps6knix8t1.jpg

20170320_144919_zps0hadvtci.jpg

20170320_144931_zpsvtwejrqd.jpg

It got up to 500 degrees in about 6 minutes and 600 degrees a bit later. I could have spent some more time sanding and grinding to smooth out the rust and old paint, but I was looking to do this quick. I used Rustoleum Rust Converter on the bottom panel and their bonding primer on the other panels. Everything got a coat of Rustoleum Graphite since it was as close as I could find to the original color. The only thing it could use is a new drip pan holder as my old one was quite rusted.

Back