Coffee maker

Plus, the cups are recyclable...
I didn't know a thing about this until now...I'm not a coffee drinker, Mrs. TVWB uses a French press. I get the convenience, my in-laws have a Keurig. Just curious, do you go to this effort? If so, bravo! I doubt most do.

Can I recycle K-Cup pods?

Yes, but only if you separate the pod components. “K-Cup® pods consist of a combination of plastic, aluminum, organic material (coffee grounds) and a paper filter. While all said items can be easily recycled separately, the K-Cup® pod as a whole cannot be recycled. *” The components need to be separated and sorted into the correct categories for recycling or composting.

https://www.recycleacup.com/faqs/#1445880808123-37ddb3bc-b226

I didn't know a thing about this until now...I'm not a coffee drinker, Mrs. TVWB uses a French press. I get the convenience, my in-laws have a Keurig. Just curious, do you go to this effort? If so, bravo! I doubt most do.

Yes, but only if you separate the pod components. “K-Cup® pods consist of a combination of plastic, aluminum, organic material (coffee grounds) and a paper filter. While all said items can be easily recycled separately, the K-Cup® pod as a whole cannot be recycled. *” The components need to be separated and sorted into the correct categories for recycling or composting.

I use k-cups because I only drink a cup or 2 per day. If I make a pot, then I drink one cup and the rest of the pot turns into a science experiment. I admit I don't recycle them and should. It's good to know that it's possible.

I'll admit, not always, even though it's simple but can be messy.
Scouts at wife's church provide a large recycle bin and no separation/sorting of items needed.

I didn't know a thing about this until now...I'm not a coffee drinker, Mrs. TVWB uses a French press. I get the convenience, my in-laws have a Keurig.

A French press?

Does that remove bitter oils from coffee?

I recently purchased an electric glass tea pot, and I had thought about using a French press if it would make the coffee a bit easier on the stomach. An in-store Starbucks let me sample some French pressed coffee, and the coffee had a smooth taste to it.

A French press? Does that remove bitter oils from coffee?
I don't think it removes anything in terms of oils. It only filters out the coarse ground coffee but lets some of the very fine solids pass through. I see a lot of residue in the bottom of the coffee mugs I wash around here. :D

A French press?

I recently purchased an electric glass tea pot, and I had thought about using a French press if it would make the coffee a bit easier on the stomach. An in-store Starbucks let me sample some French pressed coffee, and the coffee had a smooth taste to it.

This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7Si7cp2jM

He claims something about doing that method makes it easier on the stomach. I think he boils the hell out of it.

I can't stomach a dark roast, and don't even care for medium roast, light all the way for me.
Light roast coffee actually has more caffeine than medium or dark.

I used an Aeropress for a couple of years, a bit fiddly, but the best coffee I've ever made at home, even better than when I used a burr grinder and fresh beans in a Bunn.
I added some hot water to make a full cup.

Aeropress-web1_large.jpg

Last edited:
A French press?

If the oils are bitter, you're over-extracting the coffee, leaving it to steep for too long or not using enough coffee for the amount of water you have. Using more coffee doesn't necessarily make it stronger but it does mean you're less likely to extract the bitter components of the coffee.

IMO a French press in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing will produce just about the best cup of coffee you'll ever taste. Very rich and very flavorful.

I think I have discovered the reason for the poor extraction on my Bunn. I experimented and watched an electronic thermometer as brew water came through. I used a full pot of water and measured at the spray head. Oddly for the first 1/3rd of the brew cycle the water was only in the 150 deg range and than slowly came up to 190+. IMO even at 190 not hot enough but certainly better than 150. I think if the entire brew cycle stayed at 190 it would be better. But putting only 150 deg water through the brew basket for over a 1/3rd of the cycle is not good. Not sure why this is happening. Maybe the "dip tube" in the Bunn's HW tank is bad/broken? IDK

Cowboy coffee...

I haven't had coffee this way in years, but it was too long ago to remember. I wonder if it is easier on the stomach.

Good question!

I haven't the slightest idea unless the act of boiling the grounds neutralizes the acid.

Cold-brewed coffee is supposed to be quite a bit less acidic - this article says ~67% less than hot brewed:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coffees-dirty-little-secret

I don't know about that but I do enjoy cold brewed coffee. I first read about it in a cookbook (El Norte: The Cuisine of Northern Mexico, iirc), then I got the Toddy cold brew system it mentioned. I don't think I've made it more than 10x, & it seems like it's been more than a year since the last time. I've been meaning to make a fresh batch for months now. It might be a bit of a eye-opener for you; they say to dilute it but I drink it almost straight.

Decades ago I did a cold brew where I put about half a pound of ground coffee in a quart mason jar, filled it with water, and let it sit in the refrigerator for like 24 hours. Then I strained it though a paper coffee filter. This made a concentrate that could be used for a variation on instant coffee. Fill a cup with hot water and add a tablespoon or two of the concentrate. It was okay. Certainly better than any instant coffee you could get at the store. But it turned out I really don't like instant coffee no matter how good it is. It's just not fresh brewed.

As for cowboy coffee, if I'm looking for advice on how to rope a steer, I'll ask a cowboy. When it comes to coffee, I think I'll listen to people who make coffee for a living. A full boil is the last thing you want when making coffee.

Last edited:
My older brother makes cowboy/campfire coffee that if you don't like it, then you don't like coffee period.
I don't remember if he adds eggshells and/or a little cold water at the end of the boil, but he does take it off the fire at the first sign of a boil.
Smooth stuff!

Last edited:
My older brother makes cowboy/campfire coffee that if you don't like it, then you don't like coffee period.
I don't remember if he adds eggshells and/or a little cold water at the end of the boil, but he does take it off the fire at the first sign of a boil.
Smooth stuff!

Reckon this has something to do with it?...

Honestly, I thought a coat of coffee resin inside the pot, over time, would make coffee bitter. Maybe not?

Back