Smokey Joe Yakiniku Table

Now that's taken it to the next level George, Just think you'll probably only need 12 briquettes to cook a meal lol
Yes, that's the whole idea. I'm using way too many briquettes right now for each dining session. Plus, higher grill temp while hopefully keeping the fire bowl cooler.

Ummmmm, maybe take a break. Use it a few times and see how it goes. Yer going from simple and functional to i can't stop help me.

Ummmmm, maybe take a break. Use it a few times and see how it goes. Yer going from simple and functional to i can't stop help me.
Well, after getting my WGA last year my two SJ's haven't been used at all so they're subject to experimentation, but they won't be harmed in any way.... :))

Trying a different config for my next cook this weekend. Here I have a shichirin nested inside the SJ. I can still use the CI grate I got for the SJ on top of this thing, over-sized, but should be fine.

7FDFEABF-8730-4B00-8535-E27636F095BE_zpsxkmzl1yo.jpg

Trying a different config for my next cook this weekend. Here I have a shichirin nested inside the SJ. I can still use the CI grate I got for the SJ on top of this thing, over-sized, but should be fine.

Great idea George, Is the bottom up the charcoal grate? And did you use a ceramic bowl with the bottom vut out for the liner in the sjs?

Great idea George, Is the bottom up the charcoal grate? And did you use a ceramic bowl with the bottom vut out for the liner in the sjs?
The shichirin hasn't been modified in any way. It's simply sitting at the bottom of the SJ without the charcoal grate. I may even add a bed of sand in the SJ for this thing to sit on.

Very clever! I have shared this with a couple of friends and they both think it's a neat idea.
My brother has a "Cobb" and was thinking that might be a nice way to use that too!

Very clever! I have shared this with a couple of friends and they both think it's a neat idea.
My brother has a "Cobb" and was thinking that might be a nice way to use that too!

These clay grills are cheap and fragile but they do an amazing job. It worked amazingly well in the SJ last night.

I also have a Cobb Premier and my original thought was using that in the patio table. The problem with the Cobb is that they weren't really designed for high heat grilling. I even bought their recently introduced "BBQ Kit" which consisted of a larger coal basket and nice a stainless steel grate. Long story short, the plastic collar on the Cobb partially melted using only 12 briquettes. The Cobb is a great roaster and that's it.

I have not seen his Cobb in action, it just seems like a whole different animal to me, I don't know if I see the value in learning a new language to speak Cobb, I'm fluent in "Weber"!

I love the social part of Korean BBQ, it is great and this is a great project and fantastic idea. We bought a small propane stove from the Asian food store and it came with a dome cooking grate like used at the Korean BBQ restaurant, that would work perfect for your setup.
I would love to make one of these. Keep the ideas coming.

Soooo, how is it going ?

So far so good. That last set up with the ceramic grill nested inside the SJ is working great. We've done about 3 or 4 cooks on that already. The bottom bowl of the SJ also stays cool to the touch.

We've grilled all sorts of bite sized sliced meat on it, including beef tongue and thinly sliced ribeyes. A minute on each side, dip, and eat....

Back