My Redhead Rebuild

That grill looks under priced yet ready to go. I'd buy it, hang on to it for a week or two then repost for at least double the price. Then find another to use as a parts grill

Its gone someone got it today I am an idiot should have jumped on it yesterday unfortunately work gets in the way. Does not matter stuff starting to pop up in ATL but someone got one hell of a deal.

Yah, hang on, you will get one. I missed out on two good "FREEBIES" last week. I had to drive an hour to get to them and they were both gone. Just the luck of the game.

Question are you guys using the cup brush for the inside of the lid side pieces what about the outside. The lid finished tonight came out great like brand new.

Wire brush only on the alumiminum parts. Inside cook box and inside end caps. Out side of each if they need it (ie crud and paint peeling). In that case, it needs repainting with Rustoleum Ultra High Temp paint on the outside. Not on the porcelain coated steel lid. It is porcelin inside and out and comes clean with steel wool and simple green. The inside can be a tough job, but it will come clean with regular household steel wool. Only #0000 on the outside.

Yes Bruce I knew how to do the lid finished that last night came out great. Got the 2 side pieces done and half the firebox done today ran out of gas but will paint the side pieces tomorrow and finish up the firebox. I cleaned the inside of the firebox did not get carried away as I am not selling it but it is 10 times better than it was a lot of damn work and covered with black soot wife started laughing at me so into the shower I go. Whoever came up with that cup brush idea needs a medal. My stuff was in bad shape took the side pieces and the outside of the firebox down to bare metal.

Yah, after my first use of the angle grinder and cup brush. Let's just say, I have gotten better at it. Good thing I was wearing safety glasses.

tQbjLXz.jpg

The outside of the firebox is a dicey issue. The factory paint/finish is textured. Once you start taking that off, you really just need to strip the whole entire box down if you want an even/smooth looking paint job. If you just try to scuff and sand spots, they will be noticeable when repainting.

- - - Updated - - -

Yah, after my first use of the angle grinder and cup brush. Let's just say, I have gotten better at it. Good thing I was wearing safety glasses.

tQbjLXz.jpg

Hahahha, wow. Can't say I've ever gotten that dirty.

LOL. Yah, I didn't even reailize it until I went in the house and looked in a mirror. Glad I didn't make a quick trip to Walmart for some grill cleaning supplies before noticing. :)

One thing I have found with the outside of the cook boxes on these grills is that it is usually just the top half that has damage to the factory paint. So, you can get by to just strip the top half above the line where it sits in the frame. Then repaint the whole thing. The transition line is covered up by the frame and you don't notice it.

LOL. Yah, I didn't even reailize it until I went in the house and looked in a mirror. Glad I didn't make a quick trip to Walmart for some grill cleaning supplies before noticing. :)

One thing I have found with the outside of the cook boxes on these grills is that it is usually just the top half that has damage to the factory paint. So, you can get by to just strip the top half above the line where it sits in the frame. Then repaint the whole thing. The transition line is covered up by the frame and you don't notice it.

Good point.

I just decided to do it all the next time if ever will try that, Bruce that is too funny basically what I looked like, took a shower had not shaved for a few days got out of the shower and my beard instead of grey was still black so a quick shave and back to normal.

Brian:
If you are not going to sell the grill, then you are right. It isn't necessary to take it down to bare metal. But when a person (Potential buyer) looks at a 15 year old grill and the cook box is nice and clean and shiny metal, it is a great selling point. Same goes with the inside of the lid. It doesn't need to be taken down to shiny clean ceramic like the outside, because after one cook it will be dirty again. But to a buyer, it is another big selling point.

Are you guys and gals spraying the bottom of the firebox also or is that just a waste of paint obviously would have to mask it off so paint does not get inside. Also I thought the Weber Stainless Grates were way more than $79 bucks the 7639 at Amazon. Those are rods I believe.

Brian, if I pull the firebox off the frame, I paint the outside of the whole thing. Can do spray paint is $7, so added cost is minimal and its not much work to tape off.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave yes its off the frame so going to paint the whole thing just wanted to check should finish this weekend, the grates should fit was a 1000 review said they did I would love RC"s stuff but may do another one down the road so for $79 bucks its a good comprise and its an original Weber part if I go to sell this one it won't hurt me.

Thanks Dave yes its off the frame so going to paint the whole thing just wanted to check should finish this weekend, the grates should fit was a 1000 review said they did I would love RC"s stuff but may do another one down the road so for $79 bucks its a good comprise and its an original Weber part if I go to sell this one it won't hurt me.

Nothing wrong with that plan.

Back