Is This The Real Thing?

Bump.

Where can I find an extra set of used spit forks for 9890 rotisserie?

I assume this unit will turn two whole chickens?

I picked up an extra set at a local grill and fireplace shop, I thought they might be useful but,with two chickens I just tuck them end to end with no problem. Has not been too much load for the motor or anything.

I picked up an extra set at a local grill and fireplace shop, I thought they might be useful but,with two chickens I just tuck them end to end with no problem. Has not been too much load for the motor or anything.

Head to head?

Any problem with the chickens flopping around on the spit?

I usually go head to tail but, it doesn’t seem to matter much.
Properly tied and one fork in each keeps them from flopping too much. But careful trussing is really helpful, I used to be really good at it but I got out of practice and have to keep reminding to get everything tucked in and secure before starting up the wheel of delight!

Double Barrel Chickens!

Marinated two Sanderson birds overnight, including injections in the breast, with McCormick's Mesquite marinate. For smoke, I used two tin foil pouches filled with pecan. The finished product tasted as good as it looked, although the finished bird had more color than in the video.

[video]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/f2q3xz0acd55nhn/August%202018%20004.mp4?dl=0[/video]

I pressed the birds together as snug as possible, but a gap developed after an hour or so. I'm well pleased with how this worked out however. I have never made chicken this good.

Last edited:
Rusty, I’d reverse them so the legs are “inboard” that way the forks go in the breast and the tend to stay a little better snubbed up.
Remember “Shrinkage” does happen.

Rusty, I’d reverse them so the legs are “inboard” that way the forks go in the breast and the tend to stay a little better snubbed up.
Remember “Shrinkage” does happen.

Thanks, Tim!

Yes, they shrunk quite a bit considering how I pressed them together. Sure were good though.

Spin a few more! It’s so simple and rewarding!
Try the Peruvian chicken with green sauce from Steven Raichlen! It is amazing! Well worth the time spent to search out the ahi Amarillo and black mint paste. I had to order them from amazon but, well worth the expense!

Thanks, I'll have to check it out!

We ate two-day leftovers for dinner, and they were just as good as the day they were cooked. Finger lickin' for sure, and gettin' close to Colonel Sanders good, although these were Sanderson birds, so I'll call them Colonel Sanderson good, lol.

Bumping an old thread here, but is it common practice to place a drip pan under rotisserie meat? Last Sunday, I turned two chickens again, and I had the idea of using our old Whirlpool broiler pan for a drip pan, but it was so large, I think it hindered cooking time (took three hours instead of the usual one and a half to two hours or so).

I had thoughts about leaving the pan out altogether next time, but should I light the center burner with this arrangement or not? My burners run east and west (parallel with the spit rod).

I did run the center burner this last cook with the pan in place, but I had the flame on low.

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread here, but is it common practice to place a drip pan under rotisserie meat?
Yes. Set the grill up for indirect cooking with a drip pan under the meat. Last time I tried to roti a chicken, I had all burners on MED with no drip pan and the drippings scorched the chicken!

Qu9CbWg.jpg

So, would a full size aluminum pan be the order of the day for two birds on one spit? Kind of a dumb question, but I had to ask.

I could place two half pans, side by side (long sides touching), but then I wonder if that much real estate would block heat flow.

Back