New for 2017: Weber Genesis II Gas Grills

So I was at my local Ace today doing errands and did a doubletake as I walked by a new black Genesis II. This must have been a brand new floor demo as it was already assembled but in the back away from the main grill sales area. I happened to have my tape measure with me so measured a few things. here is how it compares to the current genesis:

Total grate width: 1" wider (~27")
Total grate depth: 1" shallower (~19")
Grate to lid height: 1" shorter (~8.5")

So basically its 1" wider, shallower and shorter than the cook area of the current ones (this was a 3-burner model). Also, no doors and the left hand table folded down like a spirit. Grates were cast iron. There was an Ace spec sheet printout showing the msrp was $699, total cook area 669 sq. in and BTU 37,500. To me it seems like Weber is going to start pushing everyone upmarket to get the features on the current base Genesis, which now seems like a great unit by comparison.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Notice how much the warranty has shortened up? Frankly the value just does not seem to be there anymore

I am glad i popped on the 2016 E-330 last night online for 6 and a half green backs. Similar value would cost me about 1399 in the new line as they are only providing side burner in the LX model.

Notice how much the warranty has shortened up? Frankly the value just does not seem to be there anymore

Same warranty - 10 year burner, 5 year cast iron grates, 2 years rest of the parts as per homedepot.com listings of E-330 Genesis vs E-310 Genesis II

What happened to the 25 year on the fire box? Eh...................maybe I just didn't break it down enough. It's been a long while since I bought a new Weber. Last was the Summit 450, and it will truly be the last for reasons many here know

No the front of the fire box rusted out just above the burner tubes. The fact it only happened on 2 of the 4 holes and not at all on the rear panel tells me this was a product defect. Of course it leaves the control panel exposed to direct heat from the burner area. That it happened is not what upset me since I did have a couple minor issues come up on the Genesis I had bought about 12 years earlier. What royally pi$$ed me off is the flippant way Weber handled the issue. "Yes we know it was a defect, yes we know it's under warranty but sorry we cannot support the product anymore". Really?! This is how you treat a 2 time (well actually 4 time) retail customer?!
I know some will say "oh well it's a business decision" to that I say BULL$&IT! No excuse for this type of treatment. In my lifetime of grilling I have made 4 retail purchases from Weber. 2 Kettles and 2 gassers. They were not cheap. But I bought them because I felt I got a quality product. What I didn't expect was to be left high and dry.
I know some of the people on this group are Weber retailers. To them I'll say "I am not trying to kick the shovel out of your hands" I understand you NEED to make a living. My gripe is with Weber directly not with the people trying to make a living.
I truly hope with this new round of products Weber stops going for the "cheap". But, sadly when the company was taken over the handwriting was on the wall.

Since there doesn't appear to be a "thanks" button, I will say thanks for that post. I have had my (new in box from HD) Spirit E310 (a 2009 model) since 2011 and other than the fact that the flavourizers are getting a bit weak, it still looks like new. Now I don't fuss over cleaning it, but I do try to keep it fairly well cleaned to hopefully have it last longer than me, as I am a senior citizen (hey I get cheap coffee from Micky D's)

However, when I bought it, I fully expected to be able to get replacement parts easily, but I am afraid that may not always be the case. I may have to pick up the flavourizers and maybe the burners before they go the way of the Dodo.

As an aside, I do like the enclosed area underneath the grill, as my neighbour's barn has around three million barn cats as well as assorted raccoons and other sundries, and there is my "foodaholic" beagle also. I would think that the grease tray would be a very good attraction to them if it was all open underneath.

This is all I can share for now

nlolnd.jpg

Last edited:
This is all I can share for now

Can't wait to see more... I'm needing more cooking space so looking at the 6 Burner, not sure about LX vs not (pretty big $$$ difference), especially if I don't care about side burner, but have only used the stainless steel cooking grates and unsure about porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates, so I guess I'll have some decisions to make!

yeah I guess the 25 year warranty has been long gone. They probably cannot afford to make it here in USA, and if they manage to do that, still forced to use Chinese steel so we're looking to get atleast 10 years of use with a few parts in between. It'll be a good value to get those old webers in good condition if not mint.

I was getting ready to buy a new Genesis; but, at over $800 it ain't happenin'. My Genesis 1000, with new innards, still does what it was designed to do. I think I'll be keeping a lot longer than originally planned.

yeah I guess the 25 year warranty has been long gone.
The last mention of 25 year warranty is in the 2013 Weber Catalog. 2014 catalog offers no details other than "limited warranty". 2015 catalog touts a 10 year warranty. So with 2017 we'll be 4 model years away from the last grill with a 25 year warranty.

Yeah I didn't realize that but, just look at what my newest Weber is..................my Summit 450 which I will do everything I can to keep going same with my old Genesis because they are superior to the stuff they're sending out today. No they're not shiny new toys but I'll outcook the new stuff hands down and I'll bet the Genesis at least will still be doing what I need when the new stuff is being sent to scrap. And Eugene I'm sure your G1000 is not only doing what you need but doing it in a superior fashion with more versatility than what the new stuff will do. Really other than having larger surface area on the 4 and 6 burner models there is no compelling "improvement" over the original Genesis design.

I think the photo on the Home Depot site of the new burners is interesting. Tapered burners that provide even gas pressure from front to rear for even heat. Looks like a rectangular box with S/S nipples inserted into the top vs. the punched holes we're used to.

Untitled-1_zpscje2vzri.jpg

I think the photo on the Home Depot site of the new burners is interesting. Tapered burners that provide even gas pressure from front to rear for even heat. Looks like a rectangular box with S/S nipples inserted into the top vs. the punched holes we're used to.

Untitled-1_zpscje2vzri.jpg

Yes, looks very interesting, only few years away to finding out how well the burners will hold up and how well they will clean when needed, but i can imagine should be easy to clean with a pin of sorts.

It looks stubby like the leaked pictures. Also looks like the grate and shelves sit taller than current Genny. Wonder what the grate to dome height is. Maybe just because it's wider??

I've never put anything tall enough to worry about height. Usually use kettle for tall roasts/whole chickens.

For comparison

3Ah9AWlgCoKFlnM75BqynzDxRj2aOWhzApmu8mbtpz6bd2fPqTjI5P9-gcMdmyrwgLLq4hwDa_6UcofwKDY3p5bdKPb8yV8dt5-0ZR5ChDYd5F1UYgS0Lj0arfnrG2C_YzsOM1OyGQuEr1FsV2e-kjoxx0oxF-UigjZuAEiBvffgw1Ou6yBw_KDcdDp_fFWttkegvwnfTmKQrznq5mqoEDD3gz-hGKxMO85r_dKHPXHAn11DznND1O0ffOsg1jzdkqVh3EaZypGTUnPuRgLgj2DIoFNlrdyigdpvQPVsDBrAunWP0d16Wapq5brf0_dz-iEZ11TQfQarwnSMjynwjUooHQIYGtC5sbVRq5mKT3kVm-7iuMMtQTqKa4y8d8q89BzfeGnnefU91cvu1c5NEHTcL8CR0loCpcAQViBNwWPxWXZIPMQFea1DQ1lok6BX1iT_K7dmyffa7d_z3k7y7ckl7cRojYoQYzID9spZd-jnkDZQihuR09Gvs7wWgQxMPAsWYXGVnX5nUKWQNK_6ArlOmSo6F1ItMvqUeHSc2iTZJ0EIbvT6yYheeIcqc45TkmWC-swXHD38q8zxTLRWOXfngOtWkoXLd4c89Tm8oVRxzqcSoQ=w1218-h728-no

Garth

The family

Last edited:

Back